Biggest Defensive Shoes to Fill

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We all know that Suh’s shoes will be hard to fill but Baker & Crick have shown that they are more then capable of holding down the fort up front. What other Defensive senior will be the hardest to replace?

I voted for Dillard because based off of last year when he was not playing there was a huge drop-off in LB play. When given the chance Compton and Fisher rarely showed anything that would make people believe they are studs in waiting. Compton appeared lost and Fisher appeared slow. I know they are both very raw but you would have expected them to at least make a couple big plays and in my opinion neither of them did. Dillard played at such a high level this year that I just think unless someone makes huge strides from where they were this year the is going to be a huge drop-off in production from the LB spot in 2010.

• Fire 2

At first I was inclined to say O'Hanlon, and I started typing up a response about his solid play and mental acuity, but the more I thought about it, the more your case for PhilDill convinced me.

We'd better hope Compton and Fisher step up, and/or that Lavonte David has a big impact. If not... could be trouble against the run.

We all know that Suh’s shoes will be hard to fill but Baker & Crick have shown that they are more then capable of holding down the fort up front. What other Defensive senior will be the hardest to replace?

I voted for Dillard because based off of last year when he was not playing there was a huge drop-off in LB play. When given the chance Compton and Fisher rarely showed anything that would make people believe they are studs in waiting. Compton appeared lost and Fisher appeared slow. I know they are both very raw but you would have expected them to at least make a couple big plays and in my opinion neither of them did. Dillard played at such a high level this year that I just think unless someone makes huge strides from where they were this year the is going to be a huge drop-off in production from the LB spot in 2010.

:yeah

There are huge strides to be made among our linebackers, much more so than in the secondary or on the d-line. Unless Fisher & Compton step up, I'd say Eric Martin will make a name for himself as our best LB next season, one who blows up the running game and blasts the backfield on blitzes.

I voted Dillard. It's been a long time since I've seen a LB at Nebraska with such a nose for the ball. Plus as the quote goes, when Dillard hit someone . . . they stayed hit.

O'Hanlon would be a close second. How many times this season did it look like a RB had the edge and was going to break free for a huge gain and O'Hanlon flew in like a red missile and blew the play up for a loss or short gain?

It's Phil Dillard.

Our cupboard is well stocked in the secondary but we are going to be counting on 3 sophomores and a juco transfer next year at LB. All four have potential, but they are all unproven.

this sums it up pretty nicely. I think, based on Carl's quote about Eric Martin earlier this year, that Martin will step up. I expect Eric to move to the top of the LB heap next year.

Dillard's sideline to sideline play making can be replaced more readily by the talent on hand than his ability to maintain deep middle coverage when it was required. One play against Arizona stands out as a prime example of this ability. He was in coverage a good 20-30 yards down field and defended a pass. You just don't see a lot of LBs make that play. This is not to downplay his general play making. He was a tackle waiting to happen... but not waiting long.