Q&A With Recruiting Analyst Tom Luginbill

Click here for the entire article. This is the only part about NU.

Who has the most disappointing class nationally?

"I'm a little bit surprised that Ole Miss hasn't had a bigger impact than they're having right now. They've got a quality class (ranked No. 36 by Rivals.com). But coming off back-to-back nine-win seasons, I thought maybe they'd have a little bit more of an upper-echelon class. Right now, they're in the middle of the pack in the SEC. I'd put them above Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State, and maybe Arkansas.

"I'll give you another one. I'm surprised Nebraska's class (ranked No. 30 by Rivals.com) isn't more fruitful, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They're just not bringing in guys offensively who can really scare you and create mismatches and maybe get them over the hump back into the elite of college football. I think the landscape has changed for Nebraska where they're having to compete so much more than before. If you look at the Big 12 North, would you ever have thought Nebraska would have to compete for the same kids as Kansas and Missouri?

"The No. 1 thing that I think killed Nebraska was the advent of cable television. It used to be Oklahoma or Nebraska was on TV every week. They got all the exposure. Now, everybody goes to a bowl game. Every team is on television. All the skill players are in California, Texas and Florida. Nebraska doesn't reside in a state that produces great players each and every year, and they have to go to other states to get them."

I will slightly agree with him in this years class, but Enunwa and Heard both have stellar athletic skills and could be gamebreakers. I wouldn't sleep on Kenny Bell either. Then there is the Oline which seems to be getting better and better talent each year. It is just a matter of coaching to develop that talent. And not to mention the tight ends who are always solid coming out of highschool or JUCO in Chase Harper's case. And don't get me started on the Defense. I would say more but I need to get to class.....

I think he's exactly right. We've missed on a few offensive players with this class, but even those guys weren't all that exciting to me. Nebraska just doesn't have the national presence yet that brings in the elite skill position (QB, WR, RB specifically) kids. We need to be on TV a lot more. Not PPV, real TV. Bo's doing a great job getting some killer defensive players, but to take the next step he's got to bring in some big time athletes on offense. I'd say we're real close though, and a top 15 class next year would really put us in the top tier of teams in the country.

I think he's exactly right. We've missed on a few offensive players with this class, but even those guys weren't all that exciting to me. Nebraska just doesn't have the national presence yet that brings in the elite skill position (QB, WR, RB specifically) kids. We need to be on TV a lot more. Not PPV, real TV. Bo's doing a great job getting some killer defensive players, but to take the next step he's got to bring in some big time athletes on offense. I'd say we're real close though, and a top 15 class next year would really put us in the top tier of teams in the country.

I don't think you can include RB in your commentary. We've got an elite (arguably) RB in this class in Braylon Heard. High 4 star . . . ranked 57th overall by Rivals. (Plus we appear to be the front runner for the best RB in the country in 2011.)

I'd agree with your QB/WR argument.

I don't think you can include RB in your commentary. We've got an elite (arguably) RB in this class in Braylon Heard. High 4 star . . . ranked 57th overall by Rivals. (Plus we appear to be the front runner for the best RB in the country in 2011.)

Again. Do your homework. This was going to be a defense heavy year to begin with because of the unbalance of scholarship players on that side of the ball and FUTURE depth purposes. You recruit to fill future needs not present ones.

Again. Do your homework. This was going to be a defense heavy year to begin with because of the unbalance of scholarship players on that side of the ball and FUTURE depth purposes. You recruit to fill future needs not present ones.

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I KNOW this is going to be a defense heavy class and I fully understand and agree with that. However, look at our current WR recruits. Although I am excited about the potential of Enunwa and Bell it would take a real Nebraska homer to say that they are "elite" prospects. Also . . . look at our QB situation (or lack thereof). We have no QB recruit and are left scrambling for leftovers or de-commits.

Again, I don't think our recruiting is in shambles and I KNOW that it is a defense heavy class. However, the author was saying that we don't have any elite skill players. Other than our RB commit I would agree with that argument. I'm not saying that we need MORE offensive skill position players.

Try a little reading comprehension, buddy. (I guess that would be right in line with your "do your homework comment." If you did your homework you might understand what I am saying.)

Agree, too often these talking heads rank a class not as a whole, but by the quarterback(s) (and to a lesser extent - playmakers) within the class. Everyone in Columbia is wetting themselves over their haul. (which it is certainly a solid class) But, the first thing they mention when you talk about the class is Gabbert/Franklin. Ask 99% of them to name another recruit and they'll draw a blank.

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I KNOW this is going to be a defense heavy class and I fully understand and agree with that. However, look at our current WR recruits. Although I am excited about the potential of Enunwa and Bell it would take a real Nebraska homer to say that they are "elite" prospects. Also . . . look at our QB situation (or lack thereof). We have no QB recruit and are left scrambling for leftovers or de-commits.

Again, I don't think our recruiting is in shambles and I KNOW that it is a defense heavy class. However, the author was saying that we don't have any elite skill players. Other than our RB commit I would agree with that argument. I'm not saying that we need MORE offensive skill position players.

Try a little reading comprehension, buddy. (I guess that would be right in line with your "do your homework comment." If you did your homework you might understand what I am saying.)

:)

Ok sir. I will sure do that. :)

Relax man. You sound like you are getting pretty worked up. Could that STILL be stemming back from when you got Rick Rolled?

...this wasn't posted when I started my post. It, however proves my point. playmakers and quarterbacks. Often they "define" a class, but they rarely "make" a class.