Kody Spano

If i remember correctly, it was Spano himself who said he was ready for fall practice and was cleared by the medical staff.

Correction then. What the hell was Spano thinking?! (no reply needed)

This whole situation may just be one of those things we will never know. Some players will never admit they are hurt, whether it be pride or that they don't want to draw attention to themselves. Teams and players do it all the time. You will never hear the Patriots talk about an injury or how it will affect a team.

Some guys just wanna play. Some guys could break both their legs and still try and find a way to get on the field.

If i remember correctly, it was Spano himself who said he was ready for fall practice and was cleared by the medical staff.

Correction then. What the hell was Spano thinking?! (no reply needed)

This whole situation may just be one of those things we will never know. Some players will never admit they are hurt, whether it be pride or that they don't want to draw attention to themselves. Teams and players do it all the time. You will never hear the Patriots talk about an injury or how it will affect a team.

Some guys just wanna play. Some guys could break both their legs and still try and find a way to get on the field.

Kinda of like Zac Lee with the banged up tendon in his thorwing arm.

just want to add something about Lee

remember when we heard that his father told bo to "be hard on him"?

I am expecting Lee to be a completely different QB next year.

why?

he has support from his team

he has had success, so he is quite capable

he handles the media well

he understands the expectations

he has gone through it now, the fishbowl, the criticism.

he has shown he can do it, and after the heart to heart, ran very well, on multiple occasions.

he was initially coached into NOT running, so you have to laugh when now the coaches want him to run

all of this and more

there is serious potential that this kid will become a man in 2010

it is really up to him though, do or die

scott frost did it, so can zac

Lee is a mature, well-spoken young man with a good head on his shoulders. It doesn't mean he will be great next year, but he's definitely someone I'll be rooting for. I think he could use a little more love from the Husker fans :)

Yep. And in my anecdotal experience running into him at a sandwich shop some random Sunday, he took time to shake my hand, say hi to my wife and daughter and be pleasant overall. My very brief experience with the guy has been positive, and on the field I never thought he was half so bad as his worst critics said. He has some polish to put on his game, but I'm thinking he has as good of a chance to do that as anyone.

• Fire 1

Cody Green will start the first game next year. Mark my words. I want someone to pull this up and give me credit on the Sunday after our first game. I can't believe how many people have "jumped" off the CG bandwagon so quickly. Yes, I completely agree that Lee was more suited to start this season than Cody. But with 1 season under his belt, another Spring ball on it's way, another Summer and Fall with the BIG BOYS, Green will improve by leaps and bounds.

IMO, this just shows how hard it is for a true fresh. to go from HS and be a starter for a big time DI school. Just doesn't happen.

GREEN WILL BE OUR STARTER IN '10

Well... he better improve dramatically as a passer and as a rusher. Actually, an objective observer of his performance last year would have to question whether the young man is at the wrong position (yes he was very young and very inexperienced and the context in which he entered games was less than ideal). Honestly, he looked like a fish out of water both running and throwing. If he does start, either of two things will be the case --- either he improved by an essentially unprecedented amount -- or NU is in serious trouble at QB.

I will go on record and say he will not start (unless those ahead of him are injured or have transferred). I hope he redshirts.

Lee is a mature, well-spoken young man with a good head on his shoulders. It doesn't mean he will be great next year, but he's definitely someone I'll be rooting for. I think he could use a little more love from the Husker fans :)

Yep. And in my anecdotal experience running into him at a sandwich shop some random Sunday, he took time to shake my hand, say hi to my wife and daughter and be pleasant overall. My very brief experience with the guy has been positive, and on the field I never thought he was half so bad as his worst critics said. He has some polish to put on his game, but I'm thinking he has as good of a chance to do that as anyone.

We tend to be too harsh on our young QBs.....remember what we did to Frost? Lee is a good kid, and a good young player. I hope he comes back from this injury next year and lights things on fire.

There's a big difference between Frost & Lee. Frost was the leader of that offense from the start, & Lee hasn't shown he can be one yet. Also, Frost had the benefit of running an option-run offense, which is much less complex & much more reliant on pure athletic ability than the offense we run now.

That said, I think a Lee/Ganz comparison is much more reasonable than Lee/Frost. And IMO I think Lee can definitely produce like Ganz did in '08.

There's a big difference between Frost & Lee. Frost was the leader of that offense from the start, & Lee hasn't shown he can be one yet. Also, Frost had the benefit of running an option-run offense, which is much less complex & much more reliant on pure athletic ability than the offense we run now.

That said, I think a Lee/Ganz comparison is much more reasonable than Lee/Frost. And IMO I think Lee can definitely produce like Ganz did in '08.

I said the exact same thing before last season, and boy was I wrong! :dumdum

I said the exact same thing before last season, and boy was I wrong! :dumdum

Alas that was your mistake. There was no way Lee as a Jr could do what Ganz did. It's just not natural with such a complex offense. I hate to side with Wats on this one, but ultimately it's experience that rules out with an offense like this, not length of stay.

i disagree, it wasn't so much Lee didn't understand the offense, he just could seldom make the throws he needed to make. i can't once remember when he even attempted to really stretch the field. none of our opponents ever feared getting burned deep, never.

now, this year his elbow will be healed and we will see what he can do, no more excuses, time to produce and put up some numbers!

At this point I really believe the QB race should be WIDE open for September. Zac Lee is not a good quarterback IMO (one decent showing against a quickly deflated Arizona team doesn't come close to changing my mind) and I don't see him magically becoming one. He does have the advantage of being so hesitant to make throws downfield that he doesn't throw many interceptions. But that's not a very impressive upside. Green wasn't impressive, although he's a true freshman and only really got five legit quarters (and looked pretty sharp in two). Washington, if not a great passer, could at least be a Jammal Lord type playmaker, be it with designed runs or scrambling on pass plays. And that could help lead to a more potent offense overall than we saw in 2009. I also see no reason to think Kody Spano couldn't be our best quarterback if he can stay healthy. But really I just hope the coaches are completely open to any of the four getting the job.