WR Ezell Ruffin

I have heard some rumblings on RSS that there might be some players leaving the team, thus opening up some scholarships. Nothing has been confirmed though, but it would explain a lot.

I see an RSS thread on "Attrition" - is that what you're referring to? Is anyone specifically mentioned, even if it hasn't been confirmed?

I have heard some rumblings on RSS that there might be some players leaving the team, thus opening up some scholarships. Nothing has been confirmed though, but it would explain a lot.

I see an RSS thread on "Attrition" - is that what you're referring to? Is anyone specifically mentioned, even if it hasn't been confirmed?

Yes, an insider on there says 3-5 players maybe leaving. The players have not been revealed, but he says they are from both sides of the ball.

If I had to guess, I would say Collins Okafor might be one.

until then :snacks:

Yes, an insider on there says 3-5 players maybe leaving. The players have not been revealed, but he says they are from both sides of the ball.

I would guess Barret Cruz, Okafor, maybe one of the secondary players like Blue.

I would guess Barret Cruz, Okafor, maybe one of the secondary players like Blue.

Well that's the kind of attrition we can live with (or might even make us better), but I immediately begin to fear that a starter is leaving the team for some reason. Let's hope that's not the case. :dunno

If Sanders is his lead recruiter, can we assume that NU is looking at him at DB somewhere or is southern CA Sanders' region? Not sure how much to read into Sanders' involvement.

But from the small amount of film they have on Rivals showing Ruffin at safety, I'm not very impressed. You don't see him doing anything special in coverage and he definitely doesn't look like a natural hitter. He just kind of tries to stop guys that break into the third level. Thoughts?

i was rather impressed with his video actually. i don't see Cooper doing anything better than Ruffin did in their videos

Well I'm certainly not going to act like I'm a professional talent evaluator, so I definitely (hopefully) could be wrong here. But what specifically do you see in Ruffin's film as a safety impresses you?

not much. in fact i thought he looked pretty good at RB. but my point was watch Cooper's video. extremely umimpressive for a 4-star. basically i'm saying we shouldn't judge Ruffin's safety skills by his limited amount of video because we are all in love with Cooper, whose video is equally unimpressive

Oh I'm not saying this kid sucks because the three or four clips of him playing safety is unimpressive. Not at all. I was just saying that it makes the most sense that he would be offered as a safety, but that his film makes him much more attractive at RB or even WR. But like you rightly noted, Cooper's film would suggest that he's a better WR as well. But the bottom line for me is that I trust this staff. So if they want him, then I do too.

i agree i'd be more excited to see him on offense. but as you stated, in Bo we trust

FYI, Sanders has been on Ruffin since November. He also had looks (not offers) from ND, Tenn, Purdue, Arizona St and UNLV.

Like I said earlier, he's Middleton's younger brother and took an unofficial to NU back last year. Grades\test score have been an issue, i'm guessing they're either cleared up, or he'll be a sign and place?

FYI, Sanders has been on Ruffin since November. He also had looks (not offers) from ND, Tenn, Purdue, Arizona St and UNLV.

Like I said earlier, he's Middleton's younger brother and took an unofficial to NU back last year. Grades\test score have been an issue, i'm guessing they're either cleared up, or he'll be a sign and place?

Could be why he hasn't had more offers then. A sign and place wouldn't be a bad option if he doesn't think he will qualify.

I asked Brian Christopherson of the LJS if he has any more info on Ruffin and here was his response (on the Life in the Red blog):

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on January 27, 2010 2:40PM CST

Ruffin's a speedster -- 4.4 in the 40. He's 6-1, 190 and he's had the interest of some pretty good Pac-10 teams, though not a ton of offers.

Here's his highlights: