Who is your Favorite husker QB?

I'm with you on Newcombe. If he stays healthy, he keeps that starting job over Crouch and takes the team just as far if not further than #7. Bobby ran like a gazelle as a great option QB, and this guy could actually pass the ball too. His effectiveness as a passer put Crouch, Frazier & Frost to shame.

Honestly, I liked Newcombe more than Crouch b/c he had the same fire & competitiveness that defined his predecessors. I'm not saying Crouch didn't have great competitiveness. It's just that his seemed to be on a more individual level, whereas Frazier, Frost & Newcombe were a more team-oriented drive. Btw, I think that's why Crouch was never able to get a National Championship.

I thought Newcombe was the better passer and a great runner, but he had a tendency to fall back and take the 10 yards sacks and run out of bounds that sometimes drove you nuts.

What I would have loved to see was what O'Dell James would have done if he chose Nebraska instead of Baylor :wacko:

Still not seeing how Ganz is in anyones top 10 unless they just started watching football this century.

Maybe because in just a year and a half's time, he set numerous records and was amazingly effective? He was a master of the offense....just compare the offensive efficency of 2008 to 2009.

Sophomore quarterback Joe Dailey produced a record-breaking performance to lead the Nebraska football team to a 59-27 win over Baylor before a sellout crowd of 77,881 at Memorial Stadium. Dailey completed 13 of 20 passes for an NU record 342 yards, surpassing the previous record of 297 yards set by David Humm in 1973. :facepalm:

Was it that hard to set records when most of the past QB'S never had to throw it up that much? Maybe you should go back through the schedules and see what he did against good competition. Missou, Oklahoma, What exactly was his biggest win?

Clemson

The game remained scoreless until the teams combined for 17 points in the final five minutes of the first half. The first score came courtesy of a Husker turnover, as Clemson's DeAndre McDaniel broke into the NU backfield and deflected an option pitch. He was able to find the end zone after the ball bounced right back up to him and he raced 28 yards for the game's first score.

Trailing 7-3, Nebraska got the ball right back when Ty Steinkuhler tipped a Cullen Harper pass and Anthony West made a diving interception at the Clemson 27 with 1:05 left in the half. But the Huskers returned the favor on the very next play, as Ganz threw an interception that Crezdon Butler returned 59 yards down to the NU 13.

Ganz hurt Nebraska defense more then any QB they played that year for every td he threw he probably had a turnover that set the other team up for a score.

Even as a Ganz fan, I agree. Ganz did have his downfalls. The thing I think most people like about him is he was an underdog and was 'shafted' by political BS when Keller came in. When he became the starter, he gave the sense that we had a chance to win everygame, even with the horrific defense. He was our version of Farve or Tebow, a gutsy guy that made things happen. His downfalls were swept to the side by us 'Ganz-lovers', because we wanted him to be the hero. The kid did finish in the top 15 in QB rating during an offensive season.

I'm with you on Newcombe. If he stays healthy, he keeps that starting job over Crouch and takes the team just as far if not further than #7. Bobby ran like a gazelle as a great option QB, and this guy could actually pass the ball too. His effectiveness as a passer put Crouch, Frazier & Frost to shame.

Honestly, I liked Newcombe more than Crouch b/c he had the same fire & competitiveness that defined his predecessors. I'm not saying Crouch didn't have great competitiveness. It's just that his seemed to be on a more individual level, whereas Frazier, Frost & Newcombe were a more team-oriented drive. Btw, I think that's why Crouch was never able to get a National Championship.

I thought Newcombe was the better passer and a great runner, but he had a tendency to fall back and take the 10 yards sacks and run out of bounds that sometimes drove you nuts.

What I would have loved to see was what O'Dell James would have done if he chose Nebraska instead of Baylor :wacko:

Still not seeing how Ganz is in anyones top 10 unless they just started watching football this century.

Maybe because in just a year and a half's time, he set numerous records and was amazingly effective? He was a master of the offense....just compare the offensive efficency of 2008 to 2009.

Sophomore quarterback Joe Dailey produced a record-breaking performance to lead the Nebraska football team to a 59-27 win over Baylor before a sellout crowd of 77,881 at Memorial Stadium. Dailey completed 13 of 20 passes for an NU record 342 yards, surpassing the previous record of 297 yards set by David Humm in 1973. :facepalm:

Was it that hard to set records when most of the past QB'S never had to throw it up that much? Maybe you should go back through the schedules and see what he did against good competition. Missou, Oklahoma, What exactly was his biggest win?

Clemson

The game remained scoreless until the teams combined for 17 points in the final five minutes of the first half. The first score came courtesy of a Husker turnover, as Clemson's DeAndre McDaniel broke into the NU backfield and deflected an option pitch. He was able to find the end zone after the ball bounced right back up to him and he raced 28 yards for the game's first score.

Trailing 7-3, Nebraska got the ball right back when Ty Steinkuhler tipped a Cullen Harper pass and Anthony West made a diving interception at the Clemson 27 with 1:05 left in the half. But the Huskers returned the favor on the very next play, as Ganz threw an interception that Crezdon Butler returned 59 yards down to the NU 13.

Ganz hurt Nebraska defense more then any QB they played that year for every td he threw he probably had a turnover that set the other team up for a score.

You're not seriously comparing Joe Ganz to Joe Dailey, are you?

Clemson

In your theory you said the reason Ganz was high was because he breaking records. Joe Dailey broke those same records so does this mean he was also in your top 10?

Your comparing Ganz to

Scott Frost

Tommie Frazier

Turner Gill

Crouch

Jerry Tagge

Dave Humm

I could go down the list probably another 10 qb's and the comparison of Ganz to them would be worse then Joe Dailey to Ganz IMO. Stats are great but wins mean a hell of a lot more and your QB is lacking in that department.

Though this is supposed to be everyone favorite QB not the best, so I'm wrong in saying he shouldn't be in anyones top 10.

Ganz wasn't shafted by political BS, but he did end up with a much better Husker career than the guy who beat him out for the job.

I think the reason we like Ganz and Taylor is because they were both real gamers and some tough SOBs. Talk about having a team rallying around you. Sure, they didn't lead some of the great Husker teams in our history, but they were so much fun to cheer and root for, and really had command of their team. Especially for those of us with more recent memories, hard not to like them as one of our favorites.

Ganz holds 23 school records but even more importantly than that who knows what would have happened to our program if Keller had stayed healthy. To me Ganz helped keep NU afloat and a team halfway worth talking about instead of being just another blip on the radar. Without a doubt he is in my top five.

Clemson game...

ganz_gatorbowl.jpg

Can't quite get past Berringer being handed the ball at the Miami 10 yard line and immediately throwing an unforced interception in the end zone. Had to be saved by Tommy coming off the bench.

Crouch was just too horrible a passer to get my vote, but I've never seen a player his size take so many huge hits and pop right back up.

Scott Frost ran perhaps the best play action fakes outside of Brett Favre. Probably as tough as Crouch, but bigger. And a little slower. But like Crouch had really poor passing technique. His play action was so good (and we ran to set up the occasional pass) that Frost almost always had guys wide open. But they were always catching the ball at their feet.

Turner Gill. Sounds like he came before the time of you young people. Ran the option as well as anyone and passed better than Frazier, Frost or Crouch. Not quite as fast or strong of a runner himself, but ran a beautiful and prolific offense for three full years.

And because I was a kid and he simply went out there and led the Huskers to their first two national championships: Jerry Tagge.

He was trying to throw the ball away. The miami defender just made a pretty nice leap for it.

I'd put my vote in for Pat witt. That play in the gator bowl (you know his only play) where he made sure to get that knee down before the fumble...a game saver.

Anyway...It's a tough call. Gotta go with Tommie although I did enjoy frost's style a little more.

Ganz was brass balls in that Clemson game. I hope some of his gamesmanship rubs off on Lee. He showed heart as a starter that had been lacking teamwide. Just the Gator Bowl alone, what it meant for the program, restoring some of my lost faith and passion, etc., he makes my top 5.

Frazier

Gill

Crouch

Frost

Ganz

The Huskers have had some very good ones over the years. Its a little hard to compare QBs from different eras and offenses, but my favorite would be Turner Gill. Great combination of running and passing along with leadership. His record was 28-2 as a starter and the 2 losses were by a few inches and a few seconds, that would have been NC seasons.

Clemson

In your theory you said the reason Ganz was high was because he breaking records. Joe Dailey broke those same records so does this mean he was also in your top 10?

Your comparing Ganz to

Scott Frost

Tommie Frazier

Turner Gill

Crouch

Jerry Tagge

Dave Humm

I could go down the list probably another 10 qb's and the comparison of Ganz to them would be worse then Joe Dailey to Ganz IMO. Stats are great but wins mean a hell of a lot more and your QB is lacking in that department.

Though this is supposed to be everyone favorite QB not the best, so I'm wrong in saying he shouldn't be in anyones top 10.

I'm not saying Ganz was my favorite QB, but I'll throw him in the top 10 Husker QBs list any day. All you had to do was pay attention, and you'd be able to say he's a HELL of a lot closer to that top group than he is to Joe Dailey. That's just selling him, and his contributions to this program, very short. Did he win at the same clip as the 6 you listed? No. Those are some of the all-time best QBs in the history of college football. However, if we're playing the wins card, we have to take a look at what was around Joe when he was here. By that admission, you have to admire even more what Ganzy did while he was here. Top 5? No. Top 10? I'd put him there.

• Fire 1

I can't argue with any of the previous choice's, but I am old school "Blue, My Boy" so I am going to through out some names for you. We need to remember those who started this ball rolling!

Dennis Claridge

Fred Duda

Bob Churchich

Harry Tolly

Van Brownson

Jerry Tagge

Vince Ferragamo

Bruce Mathison

Mark Mauer

Gerry Gdowski

Turner Gill

Keithen McCant

Turner Gill

Frankie London

Craig Sundberg

My pick for my "All-Time Favorite"

David Humm - Class act on and off the field

Still new to the site so I am just getting used to posting. My favorite quarterback was Frazier I loved how hard he ran the ball and how well he threw from the option pass. He managed a great game and did not make mistakes, also he had great field vision. Also you can not forget the heart he played with especially after coming back from the blood clots. I also loved the type of player Eric Crouch was, another guy who ran hard and managed a great game.

Crouch was no doubt a stud and I love to watch him play....running over the db from Iowa was epic and his 80 yd run vs Mizzou was one of best of all time, but I still don't think he is in Tommie's league. Tommie was magical. Didn't throw well, but good enough. So many highlight runs, topped off by breaking 100000000 tackles on the run vs Florida. I used to get sooo pumped to watch him turn upfield on the option, run 25 yds, get tackled and get up and spin around and dance. You just knew that when that happened, Tommie was in the zone, and good things were going to happen. He also should have won the Heisman. His record speaks for itself.

Frazier, as great as he certainly was, had truly "massive" more talent on his 94 & 95 teams (on both sides of the ball) than Crouch's 00 & 01 teams could ever dream of. An almost "magical" difference. Eric almost single-handedly carried NU on his back for three years. But of course he didn't win a NC, so of course Frazier, Frost were "better".....blah, blah, blah.