Countdown: October 16 Texas vs. Nebraska

Turns out one of the two starter from the terrible O-Line at UT is out.(Trey Allen) Looks like he is done for the season. So this game will probably be won in the trenches. NU have 4 or 5 starters coming back with a couple new players set to over-take the starters and UT has possibly only 1 starter back on a pretty bad O-line.

This is going to be a beatdown of epic proportions!!!!

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

I honestly think the fans and media obsession with the Texas game is completely out of hand. It's almost as if a majority of Husker fans will be satisfied with the 2010 season if we went 1-11, as long as the one win is over TexAss. While the players have 0:01 on their wrists, the coaches certainly are not focusing on one game. In order to meet the team's goals of winning the Big 12 and playing/winning a BCS bowl, they need to play them one at a time.

I know I got a little cliquey, but still, this focus on one game is not healthy. In all seriousness, we could lose to TexAss and still attain the goals the team set for 2010.

I know I got a little cliquey, but still, this focus on one game is not healthy. In all seriousness, we could lose to TexAss and still attain the goals the team set for 2010.

In general, I agree with this. But there's one angle that complicates it for me: I really think this team needs to beat at least one "elite" team this year to take the next step. It's been too long (OU in 2001) since we've done so. As it is now, Texas happens to be the only elite team on our schedule. Of course, there's always the possibility of the big 12 championship game and a bowl opponent. But for now, Texas is the only big dog on our schedule. An 11-3 or even 12-2 season with no win over a top 15 opponent would be an awesome season, but it would still feel to me like we hadn't quite gotten out of the rut of the past 9 years.

Note: By "elite", I just mean something like: ranked at least top 15, preferably top 10, at the time we play them.

So, it's not about Texas for me so much as it is about our one clear chance for an elite win. And sure, it's a little bit about Texas, too.

Now if only I hadn't been stupid enough to plan a wedding for Oct. 9th and thus a honeymoon during the Texas game. Any Husker Bars in Ecuador?