Does Carnes Have a Chance to Start as a Freshmen

Did Bo seal the deal by telling Brion that he will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting QB Job this fall. I say he did and he will given that opportunity to try because of the problems last year at the QB position.Who was the last freshman to start consistently at the QB spot? It could be in the blood.

Tommie Frazier took over the starting gig in his Freshman year. I think he's the last true Freshman to get significant starts at QB.

I'd bet my mortgage Bo told Carnes the same thing he tells every recruit - with hard work, you could earn a spot on the field. Then he told them what they'd have to do to earn that spot. It's a daunting list, I'm sure. The playbook isn't small or uncomplicated. The depth chart has guys with (now) significant in-game experience. There are a million little details and nuances about major college pass coverage to learn, and learn better than the other guys, if you're going to start. There is no way Bo promised Carnes anything other than a chance. And that's the same promise every guy on the roster walks into the season with.

• Fire 1

I think he should redshirt and gain experience and confidence through working against the first team defense all year, that would make him a better player. If that doesn't happen they should give him a limited package of plays maybe in the wildcat. I think option 1 would help him and the team the most.

You know he has Tommies number on speed dial. We know he has great instintive running skills and it looks like he can actually hit someone with a pass so in my book that makes him number 3 and competeing for the 2 spot. With Lee's surgery the QB spot is the spicey Hot Topic. You never know, he could open a can of whoop Ass on the other QBees :nutz

Bo always tells recruits that he isn't promising playing time or starting time, but that he's promising a chance to compete.

He is really going to have to impress a lot of people if he is going to start. Every other quarterback will have at least a year on him. I just don't see it happening. He'd have to beat out the experienced Lee, and semi-experienced/athletic Green, Spano with two years of experience, etc. etc. I see a redshirt in his future.

Highly unlikely...But, Spano is injury prone, Lee's elbow is a ?, Cody is a big ? when he is under pressure and we have not seen much of Washington.

Cody's problem is accuracy. Doesn't matter if he's under pressure or not.

All the QB's have problems. We need some sort of Dr. Frankenstein to put their best parts together.

As important as it is to start the right guy, I would be a little concerned about Carnes garnering significant playing time and possibly scaring away Turner. Of course, you want guys to come in who aren't afraid of a little competition, but between the athletic abilities of Carnes and Green (especially if Carnes establishes himself as a young-gun starter) and their combined youth, Turner might look at a school with a little bit more oportunity for PT.

I think he should redshirt and gain experience and confidence through working against the first team defense all year, that would make him a better player. If that doesn't happen they should give him a limited package of plays maybe in the wildcat. I think option 1 would help him and the team the most.

You know he has Tommies number on speed dial. We know he has great instintive running skills and it looks like he can actually hit someone with a pass so in my book that makes him number 3 and competeing for the 2 spot. With Lee's surgery the QB spot is the spicey Hot Topic. You never know, he could open a can of whoop Ass on the other QBees :nutz

Personally, I doubt that Frazier's advice would do anyone much good. He seemed more like a natural talent than a student of the game. Remember, he was/is a poor coach.

It doesn't do anyone any good to heap the hype onto these kids but Husker fans just seem incapable of preventing themselves from doing so. We hear it every year: Cody Green is the next Terrelle Pryor/Vince Young. Harrison Beck will be the next Heisman trophy winner at Nebraska. Curt Dukes. Bobby Newcome. etc. etc. etc. That type of talent is exceptionally rare . . . and sadly . . . odds are better that Carnes ISN'T that type of talent than the odds that he IS.

Did Bo seal the deal by telling Brion that he will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting QB Job this fall. I say he did and he will given that opportunity to try because of the problems last year at the QB position.Who was the last freshman to start consistently at the QB spot? It could be in the blood.

Let's not put any added pressure on him. I see him redshirting. He honestly might not see many snaps in his career. Jamal Turner is THAT good. I am convinced.

• Fire 2