So . . . Tim Griffin is still a d@#$)(.

I'm hypothesizing that, without at least three true difference makers, your chance of playing in the national title game is very close to zero. You could make it with three, and you could make it with ten, but with less than three, your chances are really, really slim (think '84 BYU). With a good group of talent and great coaches, you can consistently win 9-10 games and compete for the conference (think Osborne's first decade), but until you get that handful of difference makers, you aren't going to make that final step. It took Rozier, Gill and Fryar to put Osborne in position, and it took LP, Donta Jones and Ed Stewart (plus Frazier in the Orange Bowl) to finally make it happen.

:yeah Excellent examples to support your hypothesis. Begs to ask if we even have one consistent difference-maker for 2010. Paul could be, but he's so frickin unreliable. Helu also could be, but he's so injury-prone you wonder if he could sustain that status for an entire season. Defensively, Crick seems to be the our best shot at a consistent difference-maker, but our CBs Prince & Dennard could be the most dangerous weapons we have.

Regardless of who those difference-makers might be for us, I still don't think they stack up to those named in the examples above.

How does anyone who will be a difference maker when they haven't even reached campus yet?

Have there been any 5 star busts? I'm betting Yes.

Sure, there is an upper echeleon of guys that possess mad skills, but any kid that get a scholy has potential that can be developed into the "difference maker" category. But who knows" It's a duckshoot, unless you have guys that consistantly know how to develope playmakers and we do. My point is- who cares what this guy thinks.

Has it been brought up that maybe Owa went to UCLA because Huskers fans can, at times, be a bit overwhelming and crazy? Maybe that was a turnoff, not the coaches. You can argue that if we scared Owa off, that he didn't belong here anyway. But come on- if your 17 or 18 and people are hacking into your facebook and all the other crazy things that went on- and your going to a small city in cold, beachless American, you might run too. Compare the Owa situation with having an ex-girlfriend/boyfriend that calls way to often and follows you where ever you go. Made you want to run- didn't it?

I didn't mean they had to be loaded, but just that they need a handful of true difference makers (guys that the opposing team has to focus on... All-American types). I think 95% of teams that play in the BCS title game need at least three of these types. Even 2007 LSU had Glenn Dorsey and Craig Steltz (both first-team all-americans) and Ali Highsmith (second team). Plus, 99% of the time a two-loss team won't get to the national title game, so that was a bizarre year. In all five of Nebraska's national title years, we had at least three legitimate difference makers, if not a lot more in certain years.

Side note: I actually think out 97 team was loaded. Their Blackshirts may have a been a very small step down from 95, and the Mizzou game damaged our rep a bit, but overall they were great. For most of the season they were on track to break the '83 record for rushing YPG, and finished less than 10 YPG behind it. The defense had Wistrom and Peter as seniors, and a young Mike Brown leading the team in tackles. Billingsley ranks that team as the eleventh best of all-time.

While all of that is true, the larger point I'm trying to make is that there are varying degrees of "championship caliber" teams. We can still be a contender without an Owa Odighizuwa as long as we have enough Jared Cricks around. Nobody is going to deny that it would be MUCH easier with a guy like Odighizuwa on the team, or several, but it's not a deal-breaker that we don't have them. It's just harder.

I'm hypothesizing that, without at least three true difference makers, your chance of playing in the national title game is very close to zero. You could make it with three, and you could make it with ten, but with less than three, your chances are really, really slim (think '84 BYU). With a good group of talent and great coaches, you can consistently win 9-10 games and compete for the conference (think Osborne's first decade), but until you get that handful of difference makers, you aren't going to make that final step. It took Rozier, Gill and Fryar to put Osborne in position, and it took LP, Donta Jones and Ed Stewart (plus Frazier in the Orange Bowl) to finally make it happen.

Again, while all of that is true, why should the lack of those players suddenly make us 7th in the conference in recruiting? That's why I'm saying I think we're being judged not on what we have, but on what we don't have, and that's a poor way to judge.

I think he's right on. And most of us would agree that, aside from a few great moments from Paul, a lack of real playmaking threats at receiver hurt us last year. Granted, lots of things hurt our offense last year, but if we want to (key word here) consistently be able to hang with major powers like OU and Texas, we need dangerous receivers. Because 99% of seasons we will not have have a player like Suh to keep us in every game despite an incompetent offense.

And I'm reiterating here, but I also agree (or, Griffin agrees with me) about Owa. Bo and Carl can turn a three star into a Barry Turner, but not into a Grant Wistrom. Special players like Wistrom have a certain quality that can't be coached. I don't wanna harp on Owa specifically too much, but I definitely believe Bo needs true difference makers on both sides of the ball to take us to a national title game. Five-star recruits have a much better chance to turn out difference makers at the college level, even though certainly four-stars can as well (Suh, obviously).

No one will argue that a lack of playmakers hurts the team. However, Griffin doesn't say that. He says Nebraska desperately needs big-time receivers to even challenge Texas and Oklahoma. He is wrong as we beat one and should have beaten the other. No one can say that we didn't challenge those two teams despite the lack of a big-time receiver.

In his defense, he did say to "consistently challenge".

Nebraska desperately needs those big-time receivers to consistently challenge Texas and Oklahoma.

I don't care for the guys comments in regards to our recruiting class, but I understand what he's saying when it comes to playmakers. To get into that upper echelon we are going to have to start winning some recruiting battles for the top offensive talent.

Pelini has coached Nebraska against Texas once. We lost in literally the last second (or won, depending on who you ask.) Texas challenged? 1 for 1.

Pelini has coached Nebraska against Okalahoma twice. We lost badly in one and won the other. Oklahoma challenged? 1 for 2.

So we've challenged Oklahoma and Texas 2/3 of the time without big-time wide receivers. Consistent, no? I hardly feel that that rises to the level of desperation that Griffin writes about.

I wonder if Tim Griffin has watched tape on Quincy Enunwa.

And I wonder if he's looking at the fact that we offered something like 30 WRs and landed just one.

It just seems to me that he's grading us too much on what we lost rather than what we gained. People made the same mistake about Missouri last year. Yeah, losing Maclin and Daniel and the others hurt - it has to - but they were still a good team without them.

Mizzou good...? I guess they did beat Iowa State.

9/05 vs. Illinois 1-0 (0-0) W 37-9

9/12 Bowling Green 2-0 (0-0) W 27-20

9/19 Furman 3-0 (0-0) W 52-12

9/25 @ Nevada 4-0 (0-0) W 31-21

10/08 No. 21 Nebraska 4-1 (0-1) L 27-12

10/17 @ No. 16 Oklahoma State 4-2 (0-2) L 33-17

10/24 No. 3 Texas 4-3 (0-3) L 41-7

10/31 @ Colorado 5-3 (1-3) W 36-17

11/07 Baylor 5-4 (1-4) L 40-32

11/14 @ Kansas State 6-4 (2-4) W 38-12

11/21 Iowa State 7-4 (3-4) W 34-24

11/28 vs. Kansas 8-4 (4-4) W 41-39

12/31 vs. Navy 8-5 (4-4) L 35-13

How does anyone who will be a difference maker when they haven't even reached campus yet?

Sure, there is an upper echeleon of guys that possess mad skills, but any kid that get a scholy has potential that can be developed into the "difference maker" category. But who knows" It's a duckshoot, unless you have guys that consistantly know how to develope playmakers and we do. My point is- who cares what this guy thinks.

Has it been brought up that maybe Owa went to UCLA because Huskers fans can, at times, be a bit overwhelming and crazy? Maybe that was a turnoff, not the coaches. You can argue that if we scared Owa off, that he didn't belong here anyway. But come on- if your 17 or 18 and people are hacking into your facebook and all the other crazy things that went on- and your going to a small city in cold, beachless American, you might run too. Compare the Owa situation with having an ex-girlfriend/boyfriend that calls way to often and follows you where ever you go. Made you want to run- didn't it?

5 :star busts we recruited and eventually lost - Simi Kuli

Owa went to UCLA, because his Mom wanted to see him play. If he plays in the Pac 10, she will be able to travel to most of the games around the Portland area (Oregon St., Oregon, Washington, Washington St.) whereas if he played for us, she would maybe get to see him play 1-2 games in-person per year.

Owa's decision had nothing to do with Husker fans, Ducks fans, or any other fans.

And I wonder if he's looking at the fact that we offered something like 30 WRs and landed just one.

It just seems to me that he's grading us too much on what we lost rather than what we gained. People made the same mistake about Missouri last year. Yeah, losing Maclin and Daniel and the others hurt - it has to - but they were still a good team without them.

10/08 No. 21 Nebraska 4-1 (0-1) L 27-12 - Quarterback injured

Let's not discount the impact of Gabbert's injury on that team.

Owa went to UCLA, because his Mom wanted to see him play. If he plays in the Pac 10, she will be able to travel to most of the games around the Portland area (Oregon St., Oregon, Washington, Washington St.) whereas if he played for us, she would maybe get to see him play 1-2 games in-person per year.

Owa's decision had nothing to do with Husker fans, Ducks fans, or any other fans.

He wasn't considering the Ducks, he was considering the Beavers.

He wasn't considering the Ducks, he was considering the Beavers.

Well...Hehe....Well....I didn't know you wanted to get involved with the discussion Mr. Helper. :lol:

I stand corrected. :worship

I hear you, I just think Mizzou is overrated. I never have or will respect them until they have proven themselves. They beat Nebraska a couple times...you can not kick a dog while it's down and get respect. Even when Mizzou was considered good they still could not compete with Texas or Oklahoma. Gabbert might have been injured but we won a National Championship with Tommie "blood clot" Frazier. Sorry, just dislike Mizzou is all.

I hear you, I just think Mizzou is overrated. I never have or will respect them until they have proven themselves. They beat Nebraska a couple times...you can not kick a dog while it's down and get respect. Even when Mizzou was considered good they still could not compete with Texas or Oklahoma. Gabbert might have been injured but we won a National Championship with Tommie "blood clot" Frazier. Sorry, just dislike Mizzou is all.

Three different QB's started that season (1994). (Frazier (4), Berringer (7), and Turman (1))

By 1995, Frazier's condition cleared up.

Remember Nebraska beat Oklahoma with their defense. The offense was set up for their only td by the defense and that was on the one yard line.

In the Texas game if Nebraska score even one more td then settling for a fg they win that one hands down.

What I got out of his statement is if Nebraska offense wants to compete against the Oklahoma and Texas defenses they are going to have to get better players. While I understand his statement and would agree to a certain degree I would still say the problem mainly with the offenses lack of identity more then lack of playmakers.

By the way I would settle for the 1999 team, they did almost play for the NC and probably would have beat both the team that did. chuckleshuffle

Griffin is a big time tool, IMO. Totally agree with OP. He fails to mention our four star QB, RB, TE, and OL. He also fails to mention that Moudy is a beast, Kenny Bell has lightning quicks, and the UCLA pushed for Enunwa. He should ask Jeremy Crabtree about Quincy-- Crabtree has a boner for the kid. Anyway, IMHO, Griffin has no idea what our recruiting class brings to the table and has probably only really examined TU and OU's respective classes under a microcope.

As far as losing Owa goes, how quickly some of you forget. We have a young man that redshirted last season by the name of Jason Ankrah who I am just stoked to see on the gridiron. Carl specifically mentioned the kid at a Big Red Breakfast last year when asked about potential impact guys who were redshirting. It is also well known he practiced with the 1's last year. BTW, for those of you who have forgotten, Jason was a FOUR star. Gaze. We also have Cam Meredith who played pretty dang well for a "three star" guy last year. Sold talent stolen from a big time school in Mater Dei in CA. Our depth isn't as bad as people think.