Nebraska willing to listen to Big 10

Dhuskers

I think it is more of the academic/research limitations of UNL than athletics that will keep the Big 10 from calling. I'm not sure if this is valid, just what I hear when this topic is discussed.

That's exactly it. At least that's what they say. I've been told they've talked about this before, but Big 10 officials have said they didn't want us because of this reason. I think the only school the Big 10 wants is Notre Dame, but Notre Dame thinks it's too good for the Big 10. :lol:

Acctually, UNL has had some success in research the "safer" barrier in nascar saves lives and prefents injury to drivers who hit the wall it is now at evry nascar track and was developed and researched at the University of Nebraska Lincoln.

oooooh ooooooooh ooooooooh

Logical tie in conference

SEC

chuckleshuffle chuckleshuffle chuckleshuffle chuckleshuffle chuckleshuffle

I would love the move because the Rose Bowl would be awesome every year...

I was lead to believe that the Rose Bowl was a Sheithole.:dunno

(At least, compaired to the Fiesta Bowl)

I think it is more of the academic/research limitations of UNL than athletics that will keep the Big 10 from calling. I'm not sure if this is valid, just what I hear when this topic is discussed.

That's exactly it. At least that's what they say. I've been told they've talked about this before, but Big 10 officials have said they didn't want us because of this reason. I think the only school the Big 10 wants is Notre Dame, but Notre Dame thinks it's too good for the Big 10. :lol:

Close call.

But Nebraska really, really seems to be too good for the Big-Televen.

I'd still prefer we go independant rather than join some other conference...unless we get a call from the SEC.

Seriously..

I don't think we're still able to "get by" on the local and surrounding "border states" to supply most of our talent like we did in the Big-8 days...Could we raid Ohio talent like we now are doing in Texas?

Probably one of the other things that make us unnatractive, is our lack of a fixed recruiting base..So much of it depends on where we play.

Joining the Rust Belt would eventually be the Death Penalty to our program.

That being said I do not want to leave the big 12. Nebraska bennifits from the current revenue sharing the big 12 has(even though it is unfair.) In the big 12 the school would be less profitable. I do like the idea of using the big 10 has a bluff similar to the way texas used the pac 10 back in the 90's.

The fact that the big 12 doesn't evenly split revenue is one of the big issues that will probably end up killing the conference (as is). So that "benefit" of splitting the pot amongst the 4 big teams first and leaving the little guys the scraps may cost more then you think. The fact that the bigger schools treat the other schools like second class citizens over it is concerning when you are trying to build the conference brand. It's also not such a huge amount of money that it boosts Nebraska's share of the pot over what it'd make in the big 10. I think around 2006 it was supposedly like 1 or 1.5 million more for the bigger sport schools. Here is the total quoted (last may?) from the OWH.

The big 12 splits were:

1. Texas: $10.2 million

2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million

3. Kansas: $9.24 million

4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million

5. Nebraska: $9.1 million

6. Missouri: $8.4 million

7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million

8. Kansas State: $8.21 million

9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million

10. Colorado: $8.0 million

11. Iowa State: $7.4 million

12. Baylor: $7.1 million

Source: Omaha World-Herald

The big 10 schools make a lot more money from their TV revenue sharing (all of them do). Even with the uneven split that benefits us. Big 10 money would be 1.5 to 2 times what Nebraska makes now... their T.V. contract/bowl deals are really that much better. That's before you get into benefits things like joining the CiC could bring.

Conference Rankings:

1. Big Ten: $154.2 million

2. ACC: $137.6 million

3. SEC: $135 million

4. Big 12: $103.1 million

5. Pac-10: $80.1 million

6. Big East: $77.6 million

So overall, while I think the big12 is a better conference for sports then the big 10 and I'd love to see it work out... I get the feeling its pretty doomed because the members fight each other over things like revenue splits rather then working together to build the brand of the big 12 to improve things for everyone. Instead its all about 'me' for the big schools in the conference, even over something that would mean only about 1 million difference and treats your neighbors like they aren't equals.

Not to mention the southward march to every event the big12 has as well as the offices, etc that the north continues to have to put up with.

The big 12 splits were:

The big 10 schools make a lot more money from their TV revenue sharing (all of them do). Even with the uneven split that benefits us. Big 10 money would be 1.5 to 2 times what Nebraska makes now... their T.V. contract/bowl deals are really that much better. That's before you get into benefits things like joining the CiC could bring.

Conference Rankings:

So using those numbers, NU would make about $12.85 million in a 12 team Big 10 and $11 million in a 14 team Big 10. That's not 1.5 to 2 times the $9.1 million we're making now, but it is more. I think the biggest advantage would be the Big 10 network which shows a lot of sports from the conference and covers all the football games not picked by the other networks. But I fear, as others do, that our recruiting would suffer.

Regardless of the academics, the Big 10 won't take NU because they'd be gaining a powerful opponent in football without much more in terms of TV eyeballs or recruiting territory. I really think Rutgers is the best choice for the Big 10 followed by Mizzou, Pitt, and then maybe NU. If the Big 10 wants to go for 14 teams then NU is in the discussion.

Edit: The Big East and ACC are ripe for stealing teams right now. VT might also be a good choice for the B10. And some ACC teams bring big basketball programs with them along with recruiting areas.

I don't think Nebraska will be going anywhere, Missouri could take a look at going to the Big Ten though, since Illinois and Iowa are right next door to them and would be good border wars for them. I think too many Nebraskans would be upset if we lost being in the same conference as Oklahoma...that has been our real rival, and it would be nice if we could come up with a scenario where we could play them again every season.

I don't think Nebraska will be going anywhere, Missouri could take a look at going to the Big Ten though, since Illinois and Iowa are right next door to them and would be good border wars for them. I think too many Nebraskans would be upset if we lost being in the same conference as Oklahoma...that has been our real rival, and it would be nice if we could come up with a scenario where we could play them again every season.

If Nebraska went to the Big Ten, they could still keep their rivalry with Oklahoma by scheduling an annual game with them, like Notre Dame and USC, or Florida and Florida State do.

If a Little 11 rep called, i'm sure they'd have to listen. There'd be too much money on the table for them not too.

But, with that being said, I was pondering something earlier.

Hypothetically, we join the Little 11, and win the conference championship and go undefeated. Same thing happens with two schools from the Big XII and the SEC. Depending on ooc schedules, somebody's gettin boned, and I think it would be the little 11.

If a Little 11 rep called, i'm sure they'd have to listen. There'd be too much money on the table for them not too.

Hypothetically, we join the Little 11, and win the conference championship and go undefeated. Same thing happens with two schools from the Big XII and the SEC. Depending on ooc schedules, somebody's gettin boned, and I think it would be the little 11.

If Nebraska goes to the Big Ten, would the Big 12 conference be stronger? Think about it Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, and Nebraska compared to just Texas and Oklahoma out of the Big 12... I think the Big Ten would win that argument. But it will depend on what happened that year, will Oklahoma State and Texas Tech be good teams, and will Michigan rise back up to the level they should be.

If Nebraska goes to the Big Ten, would the Big 12 conference be stronger? Think about it Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, and Nebraska compared to just Texas and Oklahoma out of the Big 12... I think the Big Ten would win that argument. But it will depend on what happened that year, will Oklahoma State and Texas Tech be good teams, and will Michigan rise back up to the level they should be.

I was having a conversation w/ a coworker, who's a Michigan fan, and he didn't want us in the Little 11. I thought that was an interesting reaction.

Well, for one thing, it makes the Big XII north almost a joke, unless they manage to get a quality team to fill the vacancy. You may be right, but outside of Ohio St and Penn St, i'm not sure if us joining the little 11, we'd shift the power to that conference.

The big 12 splits were:

Conference Rankings:

So using those numbers, NU would make about $12.85 million in a 12 team Big 10 and $11 million in a 14 team Big 10. That's not 1.5 to 2 times the $9.1 million we're making now, but it is more. I think the biggest advantage would be the Big 10 network which shows a lot of sports from the conference and covers all the football games not picked by the other networks. But I fear, as others do, that our recruiting would suffer.

Regardless of the academics, the Big 10 won't take NU because they'd be gaining a powerful opponent in football without much more in terms of TV eyeballs or recruiting territory. I really think Rutgers is the best choice for the Big 10 followed by Mizzou, Pitt, and then maybe NU. If the Big 10 wants to go for 14 teams then NU is in the discussion.

Edit: The Big East and ACC are ripe for stealing teams right now. VT might also be a good choice for the B10. And some ACC teams bring big basketball programs with them along with recruiting areas.

I've been seeing quotes of the big 10 revenue shares being more in the 15-20 mil range across a lot of blogs.

Either way though I don't think you can assume those numbers would stay the same adding a team which would open up some extra opportunities for the B10 network, even as small as they might like to think Nebraska's following is. There still would probably have some calling for it in KC and a few other places with loads of Nebraska transplants. It also would add a conference championship game that would undoubtedly make it on to network television. So I think its probably a bit bigger then those numbers imply.

I agree that NU probably isn't all that attractive to them because of the media market issue trying to push the big 10 network. They also probably wouldn't be happy with the academics, even though we all know for athletics anyone they want will get in. Athletics wise NU offers football and probably some improvement in baseball as well as the womens sports.

I agree that it probably won't happen, but the thinking that it wouldn't be attractive from a financial standpoint because of the way the big 12 does its revenue splitting was wrong in my opinion.