Nebraska willing to listen to Big 10

Dhuskers

I don't see the reasoning by the move to the BIG 10 other than money. I'm not sure Nebraska brings the TV market that the BIG 10 is looking to acquire.

Who cares anyway? Nebraska is about to have a stranglehold on the Big 12 North if they keep going in their current direction.

if I felt like the big 12 was stable I would agree..... but I dont think it is.

I don't see the reasoning by the move to the BIG 10 other than money. I'm not sure Nebraska brings the TV market that the BIG 10 is looking to acquire.

Who cares anyway? Nebraska is about to have a stranglehold on the Big 12 North if they keep going in their current direction.

Zammers:

Your signature has a rules violation for next year.

No writing on the eye patch.

You need to schedule another "photo op" :thumbs

What is this crap about Nebraska having a small media market? Does that mean that Nebraska doesn't get high TV ratings? If that is the case why in the world would they want Missouri, there is no way Missouri drives higher TV ratings than NU. I'm in the military and where ever I go there are large groups of Husker fans just as many as Ohio State, USC, Texas, OU, and Florida fans. When they say media market are they just talking about in the state of Nebraska it self, b/c Husker nation is all over the place!

What is this crap about Nebraska having a small media market? Does that mean that Nebraska doesn't get high TV ratings? If that is the case why in the world would they want Missouri, there is no way Missouri drives higher TV ratings than NU. I'm in the military and where ever I go there are large groups of Husker fans just as many as Ohio State, USC, Texas, OU, and Florida fans. When they say media market are they just talking about in the state of Nebraska it self, b/c Husker nation is all over the place!

I have no doubt that Nebraska supports their team both in state and out of state. But when they are determining TV market they are thinking of the "casual" viewers. In this case, Missouri gets a big draw from St. Louis, which is a large city. Nebraska doesn't have a city that large. So Nebraska may have the better and more loyal fans..... Missouri has more random casual fans. At least that's the way I understand it. For example, you hear a lot about the Big 10 looking at Rutgers. Rutgers doesn't have nearly the fan support that Nebraska does, but they are a pretty big draw in New York, which is one of the biggest markets. It does and it doesn't make sense all at once.

I don't think Nebraska will be going anywhere, Missouri could take a look at going to the Big Ten though, since Illinois and Iowa are right next door to them and would be good border wars for them. I think too many Nebraskans would be upset if we lost being in the same conference as Oklahoma...that has been our real rival, and it would be nice if we could come up with a scenario where we could play them again every season.

If Nebraska went to the Big Ten, they could still keep their rivalry with Oklahoma by scheduling an annual game with them, like Notre Dame and USC, or Florida and Florida State do.

I don't think that would ever happen personally...because I think neither school would want to have the other as an annual opponent at the start of the season unless they were basically forced to do it because who ever would lose that game would probably have their chances of a national championship that season quashed. This is unfortunate for the fans in one regard, but then I remember when we did play them every year, we had the attitude that if we lost a single game, our season was practically over in some regards.

I hate to say it, but the days of having a rivalry like what we had with Oklahoma is probably over. And with the shifting conferences, the NCAA will probably never have the same look and feel. To some regards this may be better, because there will be more competition, but then the days of one team being dominate are over...it was fun while it lasted.

I have no doubt that Nebraska supports their team both in state and out of state. But when they are determining TV market they are thinking of the "casual" viewers. In this case, Missouri gets a big draw from St. Louis, which is a large city. Nebraska doesn't have a city that large. So Nebraska may have the better and more loyal fans..... Missouri has more random casual fans. At least that's the way I understand it. For example, you hear a lot about the Big 10 looking at Rutgers. Rutgers doesn't have nearly the fan support that Nebraska does, but they are a pretty big draw in New York, which is one of the biggest markets. It does and it doesn't make sense all at once.

Yes its all about the population of the market. The B10 network gets money per cable subscriber. I've seen it said to be something like $1 (I don't remember where), but no idea if that is accurate or was just an easy number to illustrate the point that adding a city like Saint Louis and getting the network into their basic package is a lot more potential income then Nebraska.

Nobody would argue that MU had better fan support then Nebraska, but they definitely have Nebraska beat in population of the state.

I don't think Nebraska will be going anywhere, Missouri could take a look at going to the Big Ten though, since Illinois and Iowa are right next door to them and would be good border wars for them. I think too many Nebraskans would be upset if we lost being in the same conference as Oklahoma...that has been our real rival, and it would be nice if we could come up with a scenario where we could play them again every season.

If Nebraska went to the Big Ten, they could still keep their rivalry with Oklahoma by scheduling an annual game with them, like Notre Dame and USC, or Florida and Florida State do.

I don't think that would ever happen personally...because I think neither school would want to have the other as an annual opponent at the start of the season unless they were basically forced to do it because who ever would lose that game would probably have their chances of a national championship that season quashed. This is unfortunate for the fans in one regard, but then I remember when we did play them every year, we had the attitude that if we lost a single game, our season was practically over in some regards.

I hate to say it, but the days of having a rivalry like what we had with Oklahoma is probably over. And with the shifting conferences, the NCAA will probably never have the same look and feel. To some regards this may be better, because there will be more competition, but then the days of one team being dominate are over...it was fun while it lasted.

This is not entirely true.... The florida florida state game is played at the end of the year around the same time we play colorado. So we could always fill the spot on the day after thanksgiving with Oklahoma instead of colorado, especially if we were to switch conferences. However the only conflict with that would be that bedlam would have to me moved to a different weekend, which many fans in oklahoma may not want. But just because we would have a non conference game against Oklahoma doesnt necessarily mean it has to be one of the powderpuffs at the beginning of the year. However we could have a game in the beginning of the year with them since we are always looking for one top 25 team to play non conference, because unless things get dramatically worse in Norman they should be a top 25 team for many years to come.