Say goodbye to green jerseys...

Saunders

"How extensively is Nebraska’s offensive approach evolving, even as we speak, especially at the quarterback position?

Well, Husker quarterbacks this spring will practice without green “hands-off” jerseys most, if not all, of the time, NU offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said Tuesday, noting a significant departure from recent springs."

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2010/02/17/football/doc4b7b45358b898382611147.txt

As for Nebraska's changing offense, "I've always tried to stay on the cutting edge," the coach said. "I push myself and keep my box open to new ideas and trends to attack a defense. I mean, that's my job, to stay ahead of the curve. So this has been a real easy transition." -- Shawn Watson

:clap

This is what you can do when you have three healthy QBs on scholarship you trust (Lee, Green and Martinez), plus emergency backups in Washington, Kellogg and Brion Carnes.

Reading this article it seems like Washington isn't going to be in the mix much. Looks like it's a competition between Lee, Green and Martinez for 2010, and Carnes (from his tape) looks like a serious contender coming up.

Most important statement from Wats in this article...

If we have a guy who’s made himself a clear-cut guy, who’s separating himself from the bunch, we’ll put him in a green jersey,” Watson said. “Until then, we’re not. I have to find out what we’ve got and who they are.

Sounds like we're almost starting from scratch. But, with the way our offense performed last year, it's easy to see why Wats is taking this approach. There's nothing wrong with QBs who have a tough edge to them.

I like this for a couple of reasons. First it will give the coaches a better look at how the QB's will perform under 'real' pressure situations. Second, it should toughen these guys up a bit, and third and fourth the O line will have to really protect the QB's and Watts must have some confidence in the O-line otherwise he wouldn't expose his QB's to a real rush from the Black Shirts.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez