Osborne not asleep at the switch

Playing catchup here. Tom Osborne had some interesting comments regarding possible conference expansion/re-alignment during his appearance Monday night on "Sports Nightly." Everyone's obviously keeping a close eye on the Big Ten and Pac-10 -- including the Nebraska athletic director.

"These are interesting times," Osborne told Lane Grindle. "I think fans are a little bit nervous. All I can tell fans right now is don't think for one minute that we're asleep at the switch, that we're just sitting here waiting for something to happen to us.

"It's much better to be proactive than reactive. I don't think I'm free to say much more than that. We are very aware. We don't plan to get left at the gate, although we could be. I just don't know what's going to happen in this environment."

Osborne did say "it's hard for me to believe that Texas could get a better deal" than it has in the Big 12. He cited the Longhorns' strong recruiting base, large population base, the way they're situated geographically in the Big 12 and the fact the conference playoff game is held at Cowboys Stadium.

"Now, with Missouri and Colorado -- that's a little different," Osborne said. "I don't know what would happen there."

Much of the conference realignment discussion is driven by television revenue discrepancies among so-called power conferences. Said Osborne: "I think economics are given way too much attention in intercollegiate athletics. That's part of it. But you can be very, very good without that extra $5 million, $10 million."

The key in that regard, he said, is to have athletic department employees who work smart and sacrifice.

LINK

"If you're focused and want to get it done, you can get it done without all that money," he said.

Osborne said he hasn't received any recent calls from Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe. As for discussions with other conference teams, "I think everybody right now is keeping their cards pretty close to the vest," Osborne said. "I think if I called somebody and asked, 'What are you going to do?' I may not get a very accurate answer."

In the next five to six months, he said, we'll probably have a better idea of what might happen.

Good, screw the Texas 12! As much as I can't stand the Big 10, economically, it makes much more sense to go to the Big 10. It would be a much easier conference to win in for: 1) football 2) basketball (at least this year) 3) baseball 4) volleyball (except for Penn State). The only problems I can see are travel, baseball exposure, and the football style played in the Big 10 is not conducive to winning National Championships, and we may have to change coaching/recruiting philosophies.

If people think that Tom Osborne is asleep at the wheel, they'd better think again. The man is sneaky, sneaky smart, and he has not liked the Texas 12 since its inception.

This conference has not been kind to us over the years. It cost us the opportunity to win 4 straight titles by forcing us to play a meaning-less conference game against a mediocre Texas team that happened to steal on that day.

It took our rivalry game away and shifted the focus on Texas/OU.

And I believe it's part of the reason Osborne retired when he did. I know he talked about promises and such but could you imagine an osborne coached Bobby Newcombe/Eric Crouch offense?

• Fire 1

Good, screw the Texas 12! As much as I can't stand the Big 10, economically, it makes much more sense to go to the Big 10. It would be a much easier conference to win in for: 1) football 2) basketball (at least this year) 3) baseball 4) volleyball (except for Penn State). The only problems I can see are travel, baseball exposure, and the football style played in the Big 10 is not conducive to winning National Championships, and we may have to change coaching/recruiting philosophies.

If people think that Tom Osborne is asleep at the wheel, they'd better think again. The man is sneaky, sneaky smart, and he has not liked the Texas 12 since its inception.

You say the football style played in the Big 10 is not conducive to winning national Championships, but really who cares what kind of style other teams in the Big 10 play, we will bring our style, and I feel our style with great defense and soon to be multiple look offense can definitely win MNCs. If anything, the Big 10 style of football gives us a better chance to win and when we start beating up on everyone they will change philosophies to catch up and actually we will end up bringing the Big 10 into the new age of football, and they will have Nebraska to thank for it when they can finally compete with high caliber college football teams.

• Fire 1

This conference has not been kind to us over the years. It cost us the opportunity to win 4 straight titles by forcing us to play a meaning-less conference game against a mediocre Texas team that happened to steal on that day.

It took our rivalry game away and shifted the focus on Texas/OU.

And I believe it's part of the reason Osborne retired when he did. I know he talked about promises and such but could you imagine an osborne coached Bobby Newcombe/Eric Crouch offense?

Lots to agree with here. The Big XII hasn't been a dream for us.

Nebraska moving to the Big 10 is intriguing. One sport I would love to see us compete in regularly is Volleyball. Playing Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State and Michigan twice a year would be awesome. I'd miss the recent Texas teams, but the rest of the Big XII hasn't been all that exciting lately. Football and Volleyball, my two favorite sports, would be well represented.

Also, it would level the playing field in baseball quite a bit, since all of our competition would be cold-weather schools too, unlike the Texas schools who benefit greatly from being outside all year.

I can't help but hope for a move. I think the biggest flaw would be recruiting. But, the instant rivalry with Iowa would be great. Also, If you think Iowa isn't used to playing hard nosed Defensive football your crazy. Their teams lately have been pretty good. I think it would be a good fit but if colorado would leave I would be good with that too.

"Osborne did say "it's hard for me to believe that Texas could get a better deal" than it has in the Big 12. He cited the Longhorns' strong recruiting base, large population base, the way they're situated geographically in the Big 12 and the fact the conference playoff game is held at Cowboys Stadium."

Yeah, nevermind the fact that the Big 8 bent over like a cheap whore and gave them everything they've wanted. I'd like to see NU, KU & OU all leave so Texas can have the big pile of crap that is left.

I can't help but hope for a move. I think the biggest flaw would be recruiting. But, the instant rivalry with Iowa would be great. Also, If you think Iowa isn't used to playing hard nosed Defensive football your crazy. Their teams lately have been pretty good. I think it would be a good fit but if colorado would leave I would be good with that too.

I agree with you about recruiting. Playing in Texas allows the Huskers to attract players to Nebraska. Let's face it, there is a lack of D1 talent in state to be competitive. The Big 10 would adversely impact our recruiting efforts in Texas and Louisiana. While our recruiting base is nationwide, the abundance of talent in Texas is contributing to the resurgence of the program. I know it's not just about football, but when you are talking about changes that could affect the biggest moneymaker in the athletic department,you have to protect it. The Big 8 invited those four SWC school to join them to form the Big 12. This came at a time when Texas was considering the Pac 10 and A & M was in discussions with the Southeastern conference. I'm glad Osborne is reassuring the Huskernation. He is a smart man and I trust that he'll do what's right for Nebraska.

Neither team is going anywhere. What does CU offer anyone besides maybe the MWC? Missouri? Naw, the Big 10 has no interest in them-most likely absolutely none whatsoever.

It's all about media markets right now, so Denver. And STL/KC for mizzou.

It'll be that way until cable companies stop doing packages and do a per channel customized by the customer type thing.

Then national draw will count more, IMO.