A texas fans opinion

ADS

Why the hell is Baylor even on that list........I don't think most Baylor fans know that they have a football team.

I went to the Baylor game this year and I was really disappointed in the fan turn out. Sure losing Griffen hurt their season, but NU had more fans in the stands than the home team did!

Why the hell is Baylor even on that list........I don't think most Baylor fans know that they have a football team.

I went to the Baylor game this year and I was really disappointed in the fan turn out. Sure losing Griffen hurt their season, but NU had more fans in the stands than the home team did!

Watching on TV was interesting. I think they made a conscious effort not to show the crowd, but sometime in the first half they showed a wider shot of a play and you could see all the red-clad fans, and all the empty seats. It looked like a High School game.

That's because we have no life. We sit around on our tractors all day with straw in our mouths, keep our dentures in the house (if we can even afford them), and sit around all day dreaming about the glory years waiting for a Husker football game!!!

<_<

I prefer sunflower seeds over the straw, Enhance89. Geez.

Yeah sunflower seeds are better. Not too mention that isn't all we do...some days I like to just sit on the porch with a cup of coffee and widdle some wood. Yeah I am considered a wild one by the town folk!

I prefer sunflower seeds over the straw, Enhance89. Geez.

Yeah sunflower seeds are better. Not too mention that isn't all we do...some days I like to just sit on the porch with a cup of coffee and widdle some wood. Yeah I am considered a wild one by the town folk!

You better be in church come Sunday morning beggin forgiveness for such wreckless, public sinful behavior. Coffee! Whittling?!?! SHAME!

Yes, Texas is arrogant. And yes, Nebraska fans can be delusional someitmes. Both Texas and Nebraska have great football traditions and living in Texas for the past 20+, most of the locals do acknowledge that Nebraska is a worthy foe. Most of their venom is reserved for OU and most of their condescending behavior is reserved for aTm.

That said, Texas will continue to be the most talented team in the Big12 for the forseeable future. There isn't any better prep football talent in the country than in Texas and the Longhorns get to hand pick the best of it. That doesn't mean that talent will always be developed or that Texas can't be out-coached or out-played on the gridiron. The current situation reminds me of the Osborne vs Switzer years in the Big8. Most of those years, OU had the better talent. Some years were an even match where OU got the breaks and won. A few years, NU had the better talent and won. The fact that the Huskers played the Sooners close most of those years is a testament to Osborne and staff's coaching and the effort put forth on the field.

I can't wait for a little payback on Bevo and the Longhorns. But I don't anticipate Nebraska defeating Texas year-in and year-out anytime soon. At least not until Bo Pelini comes closer to the stature of Tom Osborne and Nebraska wins another national championship in the Big12. Even then it will be an uphill battle to play toe-to-toe with Texas.

• Fire 1

Watching on TV was interesting. I think they made a conscious effort not to show the crowd, but sometime in the first half they showed a wider shot of a play and you could see all the red-clad fans, and all the empty seats. It looked like a High School game.

There were a lot of years when K SUcks, J-Haaaaa, ISU and sCUm games were quasi Nebraska games. I think a lot of the resentment from the fans of these schools was caused by the fact that we go where ever we have to go to watch the Huskers. Even the '96 Fiesta Bowl against an over hyped and favored Florida team seemed like a Nebraska home game.

T_O_B

:bonez

Bah most of the Texass fans I've encountered throughout life don't know much about football. Sure they know most of the penalties and the rules but they lack understanding of the game itself. They have an attitude of superiority and when they lose they just play it off and still claim to be the best.

One word will always sum up Mack Brown coached Texass teams...underachievers. Plain and simple. They load up 5 star qb after 5 star qb (and every other position) but lack the focus/toughness/chemistry to be champions. They have a way of playing down to their competition. Our worst years (02, 07) we challenged them.

Bah most of the Texass fans I've encountered throughout life don't know much about football. Sure they know most of the penalties and the rules but they lack understanding of the game itself. They have an attitude of superiority and when they lose they just play it off and still claim to be the best.

One word will always sum up Mack Brown coached Texass teams...underachievers. Plain and simple. They load up 5 star qb after 5 star qb (and every other position) but lack the focus/toughness/chemistry to be champions. They have a way of playing down to their competition. Our worst years (02, 07) we challenged them.

My expereince is far different as I encounter Texas fans everyday and most know their football. They certainly have a solid understanding of the game as many enroll their kids in youth leagues starting in 2nd grade. It might be hard for Husker Loyalists to imagine but football is bigger in Texas than in Nebraska (I've lived in both states for 20+ years each). So a typical Texan who has played football starting in 2nd grade all the way through High School (where football is a year round endevor), watches the local High School team on Friday night, roots for UT, aTm, Tech or whoever on Saturday afternoon, and then tunes in for the Cowboys on Sunday, and then might even help coach his son's youth league team...suddenly lacks an understanding of the game itself??? If one still thinks that, read or watch the book/film Friday Night Lights and tell me that Texans don't know their football.

There's a reason why every big-time football program (including Nebraska) recuits Texas. It's not just because of the large population, it's because Texas has a large population where football is very much a part of the cultural landscape. The reason some Texans may come across as arrogont is not because they are ignorant about the game itself.

Mack Brown's teams may have underachieved in the past but not so much lately. In the past 5 seasons, the Longhorns have won a NC and played for another. They won the Big12 both those years and arguably should have played in a third Big12 playoff in 2008. Hopefully, Nebraska will soon enjoy that kind of success.

• Fire 1
There were a lot of years when K SUcks, J-Haaaaa, ISU and sCUm games were quasi Nebraska games. I think a lot of the resentment from the fans of these schools was caused by the fact that we go where ever we have to go to watch the Huskers. Even the '96 Fiesta Bowl against an over hyped and favored Florida team seemed like a Nebraska home game.

I think you're right on. My first Husker game was in Manhattan in the early 80s. Pretty much the whole stadium was red.

My expereince is far different as I encounter Texas fans everyday and most know their football. They certainly have a solid understanding of the game as many enroll their kids in youth leagues starting in 2nd grade. It might be hard for Husker Loyalists to imagine but football is bigger in Texas than in Nebraska (I've lived in both states for 20+ years each). So a typical Texan who has played football starting in 2nd grade all the way through High School (where football is a year round endevor), watches the local High School team on Friday night, roots for UT, aTm, Tech or whoever on Saturday afternoon, and then tunes in for the Cowboys on Sunday, and then might even help coach his son's youth league team...suddenly lacks an understanding of the game itself??? If one still thinks that, read or watch the book/film Friday Night Lights and tell me that Texans don't know their football.

There's a reason why every big-time football program (including Nebraska) recuits Texas. It's not just because of the large population, it's because Texas has a large population where football is very much a part of the cultural landscape. The reason some Texans may come across as arrogont is not because they are ignorant about the game itself.

Mack Brown's teams may have underachieved in the past but not so much lately. In the past 5 seasons, the Longhorns have won a NC and played for another. They won the Big12 both those years and arguably should have played in a third Big12 playoff in 2008. Hopefully, Nebraska will soon enjoy that kind of success.

Agreed. Most texans are die hard fans. They have been playing very well the pst few seasons. Just bc they have not played up to their potential dont mean that they cant play. Give mack some credit!