New Mike Leach Video

GSG

Videos show Leach dressing down team

Former Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach is seen yelling at his team -- including threatening the living situation of players -- in two postgame locker room videos released Thursday.

The videos, from the 2009 season, were obtained by Orangebloods.com under the Texas Open Records Act. In them, Leach calls one group of players "God squad guys" and tells others "you're going to live somewhere else."

The unedited, expletive-filled videos were taken by a Texas Tech film crew inside the postgame locker room.

After a 20-13 victory over Baylor on Nov. 28, 2009, Leach is seen criticizing his players and ripping into them for thinking a close loss to Texas was acceptable.

"There's a couple of you guys that your current living situation is going to change," Leach says. "We've got several of you, particularly on offense, all you do is pull mediocrity out of one another. Well, you're going to live somewhere else. Last time I checked, we're paying the [expletive] bills."

After a 42-21 victory over Kansas on Oct. 31, 2009, Leach questions a group of players and calls them "God squad guys."

"Your whole head's got to be on defense," Leach said. "Your whole head has to be on offense. Your whole head for that play has to be on special teams. If you're not doing that, you guys who are throwing the book around all the time, you're defying the book."

Leach was fired with cause as coach at Texas Tech in December with four years remaining on a five-year, $12.7 million contract. The move came two days after Leach was suspended amid allegations that he mistreated Texas Tech receiver Adam James, the son of ESPN analyst and former NFL player Craig James. The school contends it owes Leach nothing because he was guilty of insubordination after filing for a restraining order to coach his team in the Alamo Bowl after being suspended.

Leach has sued the school for breach of contract, slander and libel and claims he is entitled to the $10 million that was left on his contract plus damages.

Leach is expected to be deposed on Friday in Lubbock as part of a lawsuit he has filed against Texas Tech. A gag order has been placed on both parties in the lawsuit by the judge overseeing the case.

Reached on Thursday, Leach said he could not comment on the video because of the gag order, according to Orangebloods.com. Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers, reached in Kansas City at the Big 12 basketball tournament, also declined to comment because of the gag order.

Information from ESPNDallas.com reporter Jeff Caplan is included in this report.

Video after the jump

His ramblings are downright incoherent. Plus it's hard to follow with all the "uhhs, umms, and ahhs" in there.

Exactly. Also, while I know its sports, I find it completely unnecessary to use swear words when trying to get your point across. Makes a person sounds a lot dumber. Never heard a locker room speech, but I would bet T.O. never had to do that. (Although I remember hearing one time that when he did get real fired up he would bust out a 'goddammit!")

His ramblings are downright incoherent. Plus it's hard to follow with all the "uhhs, umms, and ahhs" in there.

Exactly. Also, while I know its sports, I find it completely unnecessary to use swear words when trying to get your point across. Makes a person sounds a lot dumber. Never heard a locker room speech, but I would bet T.O. never had to do that. (Although I remember hearing one time that when he did get real fired up he would bust out a 'goddammit!")

I agree I found it hard to keep up with him with his rambling and mumbo jumbo talk but I don't think cusing makes you sound stupid or less intelligent. I think if every other word is a curse words.....yes you'll be judge as a moron will little social skills but adding a curse word once in a while in my mind isn't all that bad.

I expected a lot worse from this video from what the media was making it out to be. What I got out of the video is that he's trying to keep his players focus and thinking about football and letting them know when they're screwing up. I don't see anything wrong in this video and I didn't see any sign of verbal abuse, but locking a kid in a electrical closet isn't ok either.

Liggett said Adam James testified that he thought being placed in the shed on Dec. 17 “was funny.”

The younger James also testified that he “felt no threat of physical harm, and he didn’t think that a coach should be fired for the incident that took place on Dec. 17,” Liggett said.

Grigg said Friday that the university was “very pleased” with the depositions given by Hance and a school attorney who conducted the investigation into the allegations against Leach.

Article on Rivals about Mike Leach's deposition, and the depositions of Craig and Adam James. Mike Leach is going to be taking a LOT of pirate booty out of the Texas Tech athletic dept coffers.

linky

Sooooo Leach basically said some guys that were detracting from the team wouldn't be on campus anymore....big revelation there. And then he took a shot a christianity...something the media, high polititians, and just about every other mainstream group does all the time. I hope Leach wipes the floor with Texas Tech. And I despise lawyers...

I have been following the wrongful termination of Leach and is looking like Tech will be paying Leach alot of money. Donations are down after he was terminated and it has now caused cutbacks throughout the University. Craig James is getting thrown under the bus and this might hurt his standing at ESPN.

James demanded that Leach be fired or he was going to sue Tech. Adam James also stated he was placed in a room and told to stay there, instead Adam went to an electrical closet attached to that room and used his phone to video tape himself. The two videos were released anonymously on you tube have been found to have been done by a PR firm hired by Craig James to help bolster the feud.

With depositions going on both sides are firing back and forth at each other and it is making them all look bad. IMO Leach is going to get a huge amount of money just to go away so that Tech can move on.

I saw this. I don’t see what the big deal is. He talking to a bunch of football players in the lockeroom. Isn’t this how coaches talk?

I completely agree. I heard the sound-byte a couple of weeks on ESPN radio and I am appalled by the notion that what he is saying is "berating". If that's "berating", then stepping on a bug should be 1st degree murder.

ESPN should really use their dictionary to see what the word "berating" really means.

This whole Mike Leach thing is ridiculous. This speech isn't like any other speech he gives. He starts talking about a subject, goes off on a totally different tangent, then ends on the original subject. That's what he does.

Craig James needs to stop using ESPN like a puppet. He's done a great job of it so far and was successful at getting a head coach fired for no good reason, but enough is enough. I hope Leach cleans TT out.

About the only liability that Coach Leach incurred with that locker room ramble is he made it diffult for his alma mater to ever hire him. But BYU isn't in the market for a HC right now. I agree he will be awarded a nice sum from Tech in the eventual settlement. After that, it will be interesting to see what his next coaching opportunity will be. Mike Leach strikes me as an opposite side of the coin to Bo Pelini in that Leach really knows the offensive side while Pelini is an expert on the defensive side.

I do like Coach Leach's tendency to speak his mind on occasion. A candid bit of fresh air from the usual coach speak but that can also backfire. That also reminds me of Coach Pelini. Would like to sit at a dinner table with both of them and listen to an uncensored football conversation. On second thought, would settle for a conversation about just about anything: theology, pirates, you name it.

I agree I found it hard to keep up with him with his rambling and mumbo jumbo talk but I don't think cusing makes you sound stupid or less intelligent. I think if every other word is a curse words.....yes you'll be judge as a moron will little social skills but adding a curse word once in a while in my mind isn't all that bad.

I expected a lot worse from this video from what the media was making it out to be. What I got out of the video is that he's trying to keep his players focus and thinking about football and letting them know when they're screwing up. I don't see anything wrong in this video and I didn't see any sign of verbal abuse, but locking a kid in a electrical closet isn't ok either.

He didn't lock a kid in an electrical closet, though.