Pound the Rock

Bradr

I know the roster said 215 lbs last year. But Dontrayveous sure looked bigger than that. And good speed for his size.

I can’t wait to see him this season, lowering a shoulder into the LB with 235 lbs of muscle behind it.

For some reason, every time I look at Trey he just doesn't seem like he's 235. Whether it's on the field or around campus, he looks like a guy floatin around 210. Maybe that's because of his frame, I don't know. Or, maybe I need to get a new contacts prescription. :blink:

I'm pretty excited for the future in our running back corp, though. We are so loaded with depth and talent at that position right now. I think Burkhead and Robinson are the obvious front runners for 2011, but Braylon Heard has a lot of potential and so do the guys that we haven't seen much of (Ward, Jones, Okafor).

Don't forget Aaron Green ;)

D-Train is around 6'1 and looks pretty long, his frame could carry that extra lean muscle without him looking any different. But he does have definate tree truncks for legs. Thats probably where he carries most of his muscle weight. I look at Cody Green in the same way, a frame that can carry his 220 lbs.

I guess Sean Fisher is a good example too.

Sean looks pretty skinny on campus too, hah.

P.S. Your Eric Martin sigfest is awesome.

E-Mart is pretty awesome, and scary. When I see him on campus I get scared....literally.

Give me some Robinson and Burkehead/Helu in the backfield with McNeill split out wide. Then bring McNeill back into the backfield and you've got almost 500 pounds of lead blockers through the hole.

Or some fullback trap-type play. I miss Schles and the Macks.

Oh Yeah.

Legate did a pretty descent job last year I think.

Agree and hope we use traditional fullbacks.

But shifting a receiver into a power set, when the receiver is ~ 230 and capable of blocking like a full back, creates some mismatches.

The defense would then need to shift their coverages, and we might be able to catch them with the wrong personnel. In that situation, we would have the before mentioned Burkehead/Helu, 235 lb Robinson, and 230 lb McNeill when the D is not in (as much of) a run prevent D.

I like the sound of that.

I'm really hoping we see a nice option game from the shotgun, with Helu as the outside pitch option and Burkhead/Robinson as the inside pitch option. I like Burkhead as the inside option because I tend to like the way he runs between the tackles a lot better than Helu.

I said last year around this time that I thought that play would be deadly with the likes of Castille/Helu. Once Castille departed, we didn't have that clear cut number two back. I'm hoping that play gets developed and used this year.

I really was impressed by him last year. He was young and inexperienced and had a costly fumble against Iowa State, but who didn't? I do think he hesitates a bit too much - I like how he pauses and waits for a hole, but I feel like once that hole opens up he should explode through it like a rhino, and sometimes it seemed like he would try to dart and weave rather than utilize his size. I think he could be another Castille but better (and hopefully more responsible).

LOL- Even I got in the spirit and fumbled my beer doing that game.

Love the idea of having a rhinoceros at running back, but ever since the Callahan era we've been hearing about the 3rd and 1 back. Universally they seem to get crushed at the line of scrimmage or tripped up for a loss. If the offensive line is playing well, you could put Stephen Hawking out there and he'd get yards. I'm waiting for the O-line to prove themselves against Big XII caliber competition. Arizona was a fine start.

• Fire 1