The 2010 unit must improve in these areas

Nexus

-- The 2009 Nebraska Defense gave opponents 32 first downs by way of penalty last season, most in school history.

-- The 2009 Huskers were the 10th most penalized team in the nation. With 100 penalties for 894 yards, it was the most penalized team in Nebraska history.

-- In their 4 losses last season, Nebraska was either even or negative in turnover margin. The 2009 Huskers won all games where they had an even or positive turnover margin.

LINK

-- The 2009 Nebraska Defense gave opponents 32 first downs by way of penalty last season, most in school history.

-- The 2009 Huskers were the 10th most penalized team in the nation. With 100 penalties for 894 yards, it was the most penalized team in Nebraska history.

-- In their 4 losses last season, Nebraska was either even or negative in turnover margin. The 2009 Huskers won all games where they had an even or positive turnover margin.

LINK

sounds good... but how about some guys making some plays by catching the ball and earning consistent yards after the catch.. that might help too.....

LINK

that does not make sense. we lost 4 games with and EVEN or negative t/o margin, but they won ALL games with an EVEN or positive t/o margin? apparently we did not lose any games with an EVEN t/o margin, and he should have just said we lost 4 games with negative t/o margin (not negative or even).

LINK

that does not make sense. we lost 4 games with and EVEN or negative t/o margin, but they won ALL games with an EVEN or positive t/o margin? apparently we did not lose any games with an EVEN t/o margin, and he should have just said we lost 4 games with negative t/o margin (not negative or even).

Pretty sure turnovers were all even in the B12 Championship - both teams threw 3 picks and neither fumbled. I may be wrong but I don't think I am.

So We lost games with an even or negative margin and won games with a positive margin.

LINK

:facepalm:

You're right, it makes no sense. Obviously an error by the author.

LINK

Pretty sure turnovers were all even in the B12 Championship - both teams threw 3 picks and neither fumbled. I may be wrong but I don't think I am.

So We lost games with an even or negative margin and won games with a positive margin.

You are correct.

Some caveats there:

Penalties:

You really don't mind all of the defensive penalties, provided they're during live ball situations. Pre-snap penalties and dead ball fouls you really have to clean up, but you're going to have a certain number of penalties during the course of play when you play coverage as tight as what we do and you play as overall aggressive as we do. Some of those pansy QB roughing calls and phantom PI calls are simply going to happen. The refs are hit and miss on those, and we all can think of several of both kinds that simply weren't fouls.

It's the undisciplined ones you don't want.

Similarly with the offense, though we just committed far too many bad fouls offensively. Formation calls, procedure calls.........those are always bad fouls to take because they are undisciplined fouls. Some of our offensive fouls were a product of bad technique. I can recall a few leg whipping and chop block fouls that were nothing more than bad cut block technique........we'd miss on the cut block and either catch someone else with our legs or roll into the back of another defender. Those simply have to be cleaned up.

Defensively, we'll probably see more calls than we're accustomed to seeing, and that's really a good thing. With the way the game is called now, defenses just get screwed over, no two ways about that. If you're playing aggressive, you're going to get a lot of bad calls.

• Fire 1

Some caveats there:

Penalties:

You really don't mind all of the defensive penalties, provided they're during live ball situations. Pre-snap penalties and dead ball fouls you really have to clean up, but you're going to have a certain number of penalties during the course of play when you play coverage as tight as what we do and you play as overall aggressive as we do. Some of those pansy QB roughing calls and phantom PI calls are simply going to happen. The refs are hit and miss on those, and we all can think of several of both kinds that simply weren't fouls.

Similarly with the offense, though we just committed far too many bad fouls offensively. Formation calls, procedure calls.........those are always bad fouls to take because they are undisciplined fouls. Some of our offensive fouls were a product of bad technique. I can recall a few leg whipping and chop block fouls that were nothing more than bad cut block technique........we'd miss on the cut block and either catch someone else with our legs or roll into the back of another defender. Those simply have to be cleaned up.

Defensively, we'll probably see more calls than we're accustomed to seeing, and that's really a good thing. With the way the game is called now, defenses just get screwed over, no two ways about that. If you're playing aggressive, you're going to get a lot of bad calls.

Great post.

In short, the team needs to clean up subjective penalties and not worry about the objective ones. If you jump offsides or false start, that's something you can fix because it's objective; either you jump offsides/false started or you didn't. Now holding and pass interference will most often be a very subjective call. You can't really do a whole lot about those.

Some caveats there:

Penalties:

Great post.

In short, the team needs to clean up subjective penalties and not worry about the objective ones. If you jump offsides or false start, that's something you can fix because it's objective; either you jump offsides/false started or you didn't. Now holding and pass interference will most often be a very subjective call. You can't really do a whole lot about those.

I think you've got your subjective and objective reversed, since we can only clean up what we can control (objective). But I agree with what you mean. Pre-snap penalties killed many scoring opportunities last year contributing to our poor offensive performance.

Some caveats there:

Penalties:

Great post.

I think you've got your subjective and objective reversed, since we can only clean up what we can control (objective). But I agree with what you mean. Pre-snap penalties killed many scoring opportunities last year contributing to our poor offensive performance.

So true. I mean, how many times were we our own worst enemy in the redzone? For God's sake, against VT we were inside the 10 and ended up PUNTING due to penalties! Not acceptable.

Which is one thing that's always confused me about this team. Bo is all about discipline and execution, and I think our defense is about as disciplined as any we'll find. Maybe Bo needs to preach more to the O at practice? Thoughts?

Now the Suh is gone, we won't be getting called for tackling the runner too hard anymore.

Ha ha! That's one penalty I'm gonna miss.

Suh more than made up for his few penalties by the yardage we saved from QBs starting their slide a few yards early when saw Suh closing in. :)