Carl Pelini says LB Fisher 'skyrocketed' this spring

Nexus

Looking for a Nebraska player on the rise?

Sophomore linebacker Sean Fisher’s overall performance “has skyrocketed” this spring, Husker defensive coordinator Carl Pelini says.

“The light went on,” the coach says. “He doesn’t make mistakes. He’s doing it all — all of a sudden.”

Pelini’s assessment of Fisher is interesting in part because Nebraska coaches effectively eliminated Fisher’s old “BUCK” linebacker spot in the Huskers’ new base defense. The remaining “WILL” and “MIKE” linebacker positions are essentially interchangeable, coaches say.

If Nebraska was playing a game this weekend, Pelini says, Fisher would stay on the field all the time. Pelini, however, made it clear that competition for playing time at the linebackers spots — indeed, at essentially all positions — will continue in earnest when preseason camp begins in August.

Sophomores Will Compton, Eric Martin and Alonzo Whaley, among others, also are prominent in the linebacker picture.

But none of them enjoyed a stronger spring than Fisher.

“He’s just had a great, great spring,” Pelini says.

In contrast, the 6-foot-6, 235-pound Fisher has said he wasn’t all that pleased with his play last season. A graduate of Millard North, Fisher started six games and saw significant playing time throughout the season despite often being replaced by an extra defensive back. He wound up with 35 tackles, including two for losses.

“We saw his potential, but it never quite came together for him,” Pelini says. “He was a safety (in high school). Maybe it just took awhile longer for him to adapt to linebacker. People always say, ‘Take safeties and make them linebackers.’ But it’s easier said than done.”

Perhaps the way Nebraska uses its linebackers in its new base defense better suits Fisher. Does that help explain his recent rise?

“Honestly, I don’t really know what made the light go on for him,” Pelini says. “He’s just very decisive now. Very confident in his decisions. He’s not afraid to be physical. He’s got to keep working hard, obviously, but it’s been great to see.”

LINK

A little surprising to hear this after the reports we got about Fisher "missing more tackles than he made" from the guys who saw practice the other day. Great to hear....we could certainly use some leadership at this position.

I was just thinking the same thing about him missing tackles. Maybe if our source is off on Fisher he's also off on other things...Spano for starting QB?

A little surprising to hear this after the reports we got about Fisher "missing more tackles than he made" from the guys who saw practice the other day. Great to hear....we could certainly use some leadership at this position.

I was just thinking the same thing about him missing tackles. Maybe if our source is off on Fisher he's also off on other things...Spano for starting QB?

I was just about to say something similar.

I've been saying time and again to take those for what they were worth. One guy going to one practice giving one opinion. Yet people began to take what they said as cold hard fact. Obviously, Carl Pelini disagrees with these guys, and I'd believe his opinion over theirs given his defensive performance last year.

I've been saying time and again to take those for what they were worth. One guy going to one practice giving one opinion. Yet people began to take what they said as cold hard fact. Obviously, Carl Pelini disagrees with these guys, and I'd believe his opinion over theirs given his defensive performance last year.

I agree for the most part, but last year we heard alot about how good Whaley was doing (from the coaches) and he never saw the field. Like I said before, I'll have to wait until the WKU game to know what's really going on.

I agree for the most part, but last year we heard alot about how good Whaley was doing (from the coaches) and he never saw the field. Like I said before, I'll have to wait until the WKU game to know what's really going on.

Very true. There were quite a few players that the coaches were high on.

That said, I think just because they are high on a player's abilities doesn't necessarily mean that player will see the field. Curenski was talked very highly off last spring and through the fall, but the coaches weren't afraid to yank his playing time once his production and execution on the field lacked.

This.

If Carl Pelini, a.k.a. Mr. 80% pay raise for leading the elite defensive unit in the country, says Fisher has found his path, then that's probably closer to the truth than the alternative explanation.