official spring game thread

Was that pass from Cody Green to McNeil, who then threw it downfield, supposed to bounce off the ground?

Yes. It's called a "Bounce Rooskie". We ran that play back in '82 with Gill to Mitch Krenk against OU. It was awesome.

Sweet. Seems pretty risky though, the ball has to bounce just right.

Was that pass from Cody Green to McNeil, who then threw it downfield, supposed to bounce off the ground?

Yes. It's called a "Bounce Rooskie". We ran that play back in '82 with Gill to Mitch Krenk against OU. It was awesome.

Sweet. Seems pretty risky though, the ball has to bounce just right.

Yeah it's risky, but it works if you have the right people running it. BTW, I forgot to add Irving Fryar in that mix. It was Gill to Fryar to Krenk. Great play nonetheless. I remember watching that game on TV live and that play has always stuck out to me. Fun moment to remember.

I was at the game as well and I came away pretty impressed w/ Martinez actually. He is a much better passer than I thought he was going to be. Not to say that he's extremely accurate but w/ his running ability he's still a pretty good passer. To me, even though it was a spring game, it was his first spring game and he seems to have a little more composure than Green. I guess you could say he has "it" a little more than Green. I do think that Green is ahead of him in the passing game as far as going through progressions, which I think Green really improved on from last year. I really think that our O-Line is going to be much, much better than last year. Qvale is freakin huge and seems to have really good feet for his size. Throw in Hardrick and I think we have something really nice forming. Paul really, really impressed me as well. He had two catches in particular that he had to make a full turn adjustment on about a 40 yard pass and game down with the ball. As far as younger players, Zimmerer had a few good runs. He runs really hard and had one trap play I believe go for about ten yards and even put some punishment on one attempted tackler. Rome also stood out later in the game and at one point I think he had three tackles in a row. Hyland absolutely impressed me. He's obviously not a game breaker but can certainly pose some match up problems w/ his size and he seems to have really good hands. Whaley also has stepped up his game. When he hits someone, they usually don't go anywhere except backwards.

Has anyone heard about any of the recruits that were at the game? In particular Green or Williams?

• Fire 1

I was at the game as well and I came away pretty impressed w/ Martinez actually. He is a much better passer than I thought he was going to be. Not to say that he's extremely accurate but w/ his running ability he's still a pretty good passer. To me, even though it was a spring game, it was his first spring game and he seems to have a little more composure than Green. I guess you could say he has "it" a little more than Green. I do think that Green is ahead of him in the passing game as far as going through progressions, which I think Green really improved on from last year. I really think that our O-Line is going to be much, much better than last year. Qvale is freakin huge and seems to have really good feet for his size. Throw in Hardrick and I think we have something really nice forming. Paul really, really impressed me as well. He had two catches in particular that he had to make a full turn adjustment on about a 40 yard pass and game down with the ball. As far as younger players, Zimmerer had a few good runs. He runs really hard and had one trap play I believe go for about ten yards and even put some punishment on one attempted tackler. Rome also stood out later in the game and at one point I think he had three tackles in a row. Hyland absolutely impressed me. He's obviously not a game breaker but can certainly pose some match up problems w/ his size and he seems to have really good hands. Whaley also has stepped up his game. When he hits someone, they usually don't go anywhere except backwards.

Just talked to a friend who was there and he basically said the same thing. For a freshman to come in and play as well as he did was pretty impressed. He said Green had the two good deep balls but also had some that he wondered who he was throwing to. It's not like either had a chance to truly gain any rhythm with the disjoined rosters and all. I think if Martinez can continue to develop he is going to make this QB race interesting.

I had a great time except the drunk, fat, old, idiot with the champions club necklace in front of me that still thinks this game is 1s vs 2s and Cody Green sucked for failing against the, "second string defense." About the 15th time I truly got annoyed. If you're too drunk and clueless to not realize Jared Crick isn't on the second string, it would be better for everyone if you said nothing. It's pretty bad when the people you came to the game with are ignoring you.

Cody Green did a lot better than Taylor Martinez? Like I said I was at the spring game and both played pretty well but to say it like it's fact that Green played better is confusing. Martinez: 9 rushes for 60 yards and 5-9 passing for 79 yards 2 td's and one int that was tipped. Green: 5 rushes for 19 yards, 7-15 passing for 155 yards with 1 td and 0 int's. Green for sure should have had one more td passing though. Like I said in my first post, Green is ahead of Martinez in the passing game but Martinez really has only had one spring to learn our offenses system and progressions, Green has had an entire year now, so i expect him to be ahead.

well back to quarterbacks I'm pretty sure lee will start again based off what I saw today. Green and Martinez don't look too far away though, next year will be the real battle.

SEE.....now you went and pi$Sed off the Cody Green Shippers© :wub:

I don't know what game you guys saw... Green looked great, he made 1 bad throw, but it wasn't dangerous, couple receivers dropped sure TD's from him too... Taylor could run, sure. but his throws were ugly and not accurate. Spano looked worse and threw some ducks out there.

well back to quarterbacks I'm pretty sure lee will start again based off what I saw today. Green and Martinez don't look too far away though, next year will be the real battle.

SEE.....now you went and pi$Sed off the Cody Green Shippers© :wub:

I don't know what game you guys saw... Green looked great, he made 1 bad throw, but it wasn't dangerous, couple receivers dropped sure TD's from him too... Taylor could run, sure. but his throws were ugly and not accurate. Spano looked worse and threw some ducks out there.

I never said Green should start ahead of Lee, I don't know how improved he'll be.... but Martinez can run, yes. he cannot throw anywhere near good enough, YET. also, Green should have had 4 more completions on balls the receivers just plain missed.

I had a great spring game, every year we try out different seats and this year we sat right underneath the jumbo tron. It was great to have a wall to lean up against, but I squinting to see any of the other screens. We do need another screen in the south end zone. The bounce rooski got me fired up and CG's long passes. The receiver core and backs were putting in some good work today. Another cool thing the bay door for Hawks field was open and we got to walk around in there. Never been in there before just thought it was cool. Man, I love Husker football and today was one hell of a day to be a fan.

Was that Q who gave the drug free pledge?

Mike Minter.

Who was hurt?

Choi walked off slowly, but I don't think anyone else was hurt.

i think that right there is the biggest improvement, the oline...

Absolutely. Our D Lines weren't getting much push most of the game. The D Line had its moments, but the O Line on both sides did very well.

All spring long the talk was how the offensive line has improved due to the fact there is depth there finally.

I would definitely agree with this.

Just got back from the game. Only stayed for three quarters.

Quarterbacks looked pretty good today. Taylor Martinez ran the ball as advertised today. He is very quick footed and has great vision. He is arguably the best running threat we have at quarterback. He ran the ball with authority and passed the ball pretty well. He had one interception off of a tipped ball, but he probably shouldn't have made the throw to begin with.

Cody Green did some really good things. Had a deep pass down the seem in the second quarter for a touchdown, and he also ran the ball pretty well, although not as well as T-Mart. It seems to take him awhile to get his speed up when he starts running the ball. He kind of does a weird high step movement. He also had a few throws today that kind of made you go "What was that?", but he also made some of the better throws I've seen from him.

Kody Spano was pretty good. Obviously limited by the green jersey which means he didn't bring a whole lot to the offense when he was in. The coaches stuck to drop back passes or runs to the outside or between the tackles with him in there.

LTW ran the ball well today. Didn't have a lot of passing opportunities through three quarters. Ron Kellog didn't see a lot of PT and, not to be made as an insult, you can tell why the kid is pretty low on the depth chart. Doesn't read the field very well and get sacked for a pretty big loss in the third quarter.

None of the quarterbacks wowed me, and they all had their issues, but it seems that they made huge strides over the off season.

I think we can stick a fork in LTW. He showed very little improvement from last year. With Lee, Green and T Mart, I don't see how/why LTW sees the field this year. He did not look good throwing the ball, more of the same kind of shotput tosses he threw last year. His running is fine, but he's nowhere near Taylor Martinez, Green, and not a lot better (if at all) than the Zac Lee we saw against Arizona. LTW seems destined to be one of those good guys with talent but no place to play. Sad.

Cody Green - I have no idea where the overblown praise for him is coming from (not you, Enhance - someone else on Page 7). He did NOT look great, he looked "fine." He showed some improvement over 2009 Cody Green, but not so much that I'd say Lee needs to be too worried about his job. If Lee heals up, and if he can throw at all, he'll start this year, no question. I have nothing bad to say about Cody, just that he's still raw. Something bad for every something good he did out there. About what you'd expect from a true Sophomore with talent.

I was most impressed today by Taylor Martinez. He is everything the T Mart Fan Club is saying he is - fast, instinctive, gutsy, and he can throw... just not all that well yet. His throwing motion is OK, his decisions are OK (although he shouldn't have tossed that pass that ended up getting picked), and he made some nice passes. He also made some not-so-nice passes. He'll earn his keep with his feet, though, and running the ball he was impressive. He looked like the best running QB we have, bar none. With some polish and a lot more work, he's going to be tough to beat for that starting job next year. But Green's no slouch, either. I walked away from the game thinking we have some depth at QB, even if it's raw.

Spano.... not sure what to say about him. His green jersey was a game-changer, no question. He would have gotten creamed on a blitz (yes, the D blitzed!) if he wasn't donning the green jersey. His passes were fine. I'm just concerned about him and contact. But even without the injury concern, I think he's got the same problem as LaTravis - namely, Cody Green, Zac Lee and Taylor Martinez.

Kellogg was just fine as well. Raw, and obviously still learning, but nothing ugly or embarrassing.