Nebraska's Martinez turns heads in Red-White game

I didn't see anything that tells me that Martinez is an equal passer to Green. Martinez had a couple of throws that he had no business in throwing (one was intercepted, and the other one should have), while Green wasn't lights out, he didn't do anything worse than what Lee was doing last year. He overthrew a couple of short passes, but both of them were in places that were only catchable by the offense.

Martinez is above Green as a runner, but Green is a better passer. I definitely like the possibilities of putting Martinez in the backfield with both Lee and/or Burkhead, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him as our starter. (Of course I'm not really confident in Green either, but he showed me more in the game today)

Paul was a man today. Kind of worried because Amukamara got burned a couple times (though it was only by Paul), so it's either Paul has really improved his game, or Amukamara was off today (I'll go with a combination of the two).

Nothing I seen tells me Green has improved enough as a passer to start or lead. Still misses easy passes. But does have a better arm. If we are going to run, Martinez is a better choice, actually does not make much difference as Lee is going to start on expierence , coaches will always go with that.

Niles Paul clearly was the most impressive player today. Yes, TMagic looked impressive running the ball. But to say he had an equal or better passing day that Green is a bit off. Green showed better decision-making skills as well as better accuracy. This race is going to go down to the wire, but I expect Zach to win. If Martinez is ahead of Green in the fall, I think there needs to be a serious discussion about RSing Green.

Green? Martinez? What about Ron Kellogg? The guy looked GREAT! Kellogg really made the most of the few plays he ran the offense. FEAR THE KELLOGG!!

Kellogg also didn't play against most of the top units, if I recall correctly. Nothing he did looked bad, I'm not saying that, but he didn't face the same guys as Cody and Martinez.

True enough. And unlike Ganz, Kellogg doesn't have four or five years to stick around, working his way up the depth chart. Still...

FEAR THE KELLOGG!!

After reading these post and talking to some buddies, that were at the game. It sounds like Green and Martinez our the two backups to Lee, just not sure who is first to come in off the bench. This competition is just the showcase, for the starting spot in 2011, not for this year. It is fun to discuss though. With Turner and Carnes in the q/b mix next year, if they do sign on, we should be having the same discussions again next year.

Just have a feeling one of these kids is going to step up BIG, real soon.

:corndance:corndance:corndance

GBR!!!

Green? Martinez? What about Ron Kellogg? The guy looked GREAT! Kellogg really made the most of the few plays he ran the offense. FEAR THE KELLOGG!!

I can see it now...Kellogg is QB...and the rest of the team are the Corn Flakes....Special K's Corn Flakes :facepalm:

:laughpound

What, you couldn't work something in about the Post pattern?

Did you guys actually watch Taylor when he threw the ball? or see the times he missed easy passes that would have gone for more yards, but chose to run it for 5 yards instead?

I did not see the game, but I still take offense to your post. I absolutly hated the QB talk last year because it was a lot of bashing. Unless you are going to proved specific plays just tell us why you think gree is the better player (as oppsoe to why T-Mart is the worse).

I will not bash any of the QB'S but based on what I've heard it will be a three man race and a lot of fun to watch. But it will be a lot less enjoyable if this board turns to bashing players.

The T-Mart lovefest is in full swing :)

The articles remind me a lot of the CG articles last year. Dramatic, comparisons to Frazier, etc. I think these journalists are being a little over-enthusiastic. You can't really fault them 'cause it's this time of year, but this is leg humping at its finest.

But the way you see Martinez take off and go in the highlights, it's understandable. Sexy looking run, like Eric Crouch.

Let's be real about what we're seeing with TMart - he's a raw, needs-much-work kind of QB who didn't look awful out there yesterday. He's still, clearly, behind Lee & Green in my eyes, and I called TMart "the most impressive player on the field."

I believe there's reason to be optimistic about Martinez, but we need to remember that he's very raw, and that he NEEDS a year or two (maybe three?) of watching and learning before being handed the keys.

Let's be real about what we're seeing with TMart - he's a raw, needs-much-work kind of QB who didn't look awful out there yesterday. He's still, clearly, behind Lee & Green in my eyes, and I called TMart "the most impressive player on the field."

I believe there's reason to be optimistic about Martinez, but we need to remember that he's very raw, and that he NEEDS a year or two (maybe three?) of watching and learning before being handed the keys.

THIS.. minus him being the most impressive player on the field

Yeah, you could make arguments for several people being "the most impressive." I guess I just said TMart because I expected so little of him. You could say Niles Paul, DeJon Gomes, and half a dozen other guys. It's all relative, I suppose.

Yeah, you could make arguments for several people being "the most impressive." I guess I just said TMart because I expected so little of him. You could say Niles Paul, DeJon Gomes, and half a dozen other guys. It's all relative, I suppose.

TM has a long ways to go. he would be primarily a runner, which does little good unless he can make the defense respect the pass. having said that, Lee starts.....again. look, Green and Martinez will be shaky back ups......again......let's hope Carnes can pick things up in a hurry, because TM and CG are STILL projects at best...unless someone really improves this fall, qb will be a thin position once again.

• Fire 1

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about Spano. He looked far better as a passer than any of the other QB's, but he was in a green jersey and run or be tackled. Green and Martinez looked hesitant making decisions in the passing game and often threw late instead of in rhythm. None of the QB's looked like a starter to me, but I'm optimistic about then for next year. It would take a monumental improvement over what I saw at the spring game to overtake Lee. But, as always, IJMHO and it was only a single practice. Anything can happen.