Is Texas recruiting over-rated for NU?

I think our coaching at the time played a bigger part of how bad we were than how hard we recruited Texas.

Of course. But these schools played a lot of other schools not named Nebraska with their Texas recruits and won the vast majority of games. Those schools team stars (who were all from Texas) also set practically every record in their records books also. New passing and receiving records at least. Not to mention got more kids drafted than ever before also.

Don't loose track of the origional question: Nobody has argued that its "only good to have Texas kids to fill up the depth chart and play special teams." Instead I'm making the argument that recent Texas recruiting success has made little impact on the current Huskers. We will have 22 Texas kids on schalarship on the fall roster for 2010 and not one for sure positional starter (save for Kunalic who likely red-shirts). Conversely we'll have 16 Nebraska kids on scholarship and no less than 7 starters from Nebraska (R. Henry, Caputo, Paul, Legate, Crick, Steinkuhler, Fisher, A. Henry). I'm not arguing that recruiting Texas isn't important... just over-rated to NU's recent & immediate success.

I still disagree with you 100%. Your original question was "Is Texas recruiting overrated?" And the answer is NO, absolutely not.

In 2008 and 2009, we got 8 kids from Texas each year. That means this fall the 2008 class will be redshirt sophomores. All kids take time to develop. You will eat your words year after year as long as we keep recruiting the state. Like I said before, we haven't had many Texas stars lately b/c Coach BC didn't recruit the state. Bo's first class almost entirely redshirted and are now just getting ready to even break the depth chart.

Texas recruiting is not overrated at all....not even a little, not in the most minuscule way possible.

I hear a lot of hyperbole, a bunch of excuses, and still not a starter on the team from Texas. Maybe someday? Really... I should hope so... We have 22 scholarship athletes from Texas. We only have 85 scholarships (thats 25% of our scholarships). No other state has a worse record when it comes to scholarship athletes on roster vs. starters. I'm just stating the facts. Just the shear numbers seem to demand that somebody could crack the starting line-up from Texas. We have more Nebraska walk-ons starting than Texas athletes. I'll take 22 extra scholarship athletes from the Mid-West any day; of course, I'm hardly a Texas apologist.

So we have 22 scholarship athletes from Texas, but 16 were recruited in 2008 and 2009 which means as Sker has already said, they are redshirt Sophomores or younger. So if you take them out that is only 6 Juniors/Seniors from Texas. Next year you will see more Texas kids playing, but the year after and beyond you will see those Texas kids really contributing a lot and starting at many positions.

The OP is ridiculous in every sense. Without the state of Texas, half the teams in D1 couldn't field a team. Not a single person has agreed with the original point expect huskerjock but HJs (no pun intended) just pointed out players from other states. Obviously there is talent elsewhere but no where near in the abundance like in Texas.

We could field a team without recruiting Texas but it would be hard as hell - - we'd probably field half our scholarships with JUCO kids.

The points we are making aren't excuses 454. Most of the time freshmen and sophomores don't see much playing time...cough...Rex Buckhead...cough...from Texas...cough. If you think we are making excuses, it shows how much you don't know about recruiting. Half the 2011 starters will be from Texas.

Yes, Texas recruiting is over rated IMO, based on those facts about no starters from Texas on our likely depth chart, and because of the people who say we cannot afford to leave the Big 12 because we'd lose Texas recruiting. The latter statement shows how much importance some people are putting on Texas recruiting, and the OP is showing that it's not warranted.

Besides, I don't really think we'd lose that much out of Texas if we left the Big 12--remember, we got Gill, Shields, Berns, Thomas, etc, while in a conference with no Texas schools. Texas is important. I'd like us to recruit better in Texas. And Florida. And Ohio. And California. And Nebraska (not losing a top OL to Notre Dame). And everywhere else.

Yes, Texas recruiting is over rated IMO, based on those facts about no starters from Texas on our likely depth chart, and because of the people who say we cannot afford to leave the Big 12 because we'd lose Texas recruiting. The latter statement shows how much importance some people are putting on Texas recruiting, and the OP is showing that it's not warranted.

Besides, I don't really think we'd lose that much out of Texas if we left the Big 12--remember, we got Gill, Shields, Berns, Thomas, etc, while in a conference with no Texas schools. Texas is important. I'd like us to recruit better in Texas. And Florida. And Ohio. And California. And Nebraska (not losing a top OL to Notre Dame). And everywhere else.

So you don't realize that Bill Callahan didn't recruit the state of Texas much at all and his recruits are the ones starting? Why are they the ones starting? Because they are juniors and seniors - they've had time to grow in the program.

The OP doesn't realize that kids mature in a program and get better. Very rarely did you see freshmen and sophomores playing unless they are the cream of the crop.....which Bo did not get with his first 2 classes (which was the first time in 5 years we actually tried recruiting the state).

We recruit on a national basis but Texas is the most important state.

4 star recruit from Florida, California and every other state is the same as a 4 star recruit in Texas. <_<

Like someone pointed out that Nebraska had no problem recruiting out of Texas when Osborne was a coach in the Big Eight. Why they wouldn't be able to recruit out of there if they weren't in the Big 12 is beyond me. (Though Osborne probably pitched that they would play in Oklahoma and Okie State every other year to Texas recruits)

So you don't realize that Bill Callahan didn't recruit the state of Texas much at all and his recruits are the ones starting? Why are they the ones starting? Because they are juniors and seniors - they've had time to grow in the program.

The OP doesn't realize that kids mature in a program and get better. Very rarely did you see freshmen and sophomores playing unless they are the cream of the crop.....which Bo did not get with his first 2 classes (which was the first time in 5 years we actually tried recruiting the state).

And yet somehow we are going to start the season as a top 10 team without a Texan starting. I don't remember Texans being the cornerstone of our 90s championship teams either.

Important, but over-rated.

And yet somehow we are going to start the season as a top 10 team without a Texan starting. I don't remember Texans being the cornerstone of our 90s championship teams either.

Important, but over-rated.

That's not the point to this thread. If it was the point to this thread it would be too easy to refute. Texas sucks...they never make the NC game with their Texas born recruits. Every other team in the nation has no Texas recruits that are any good....Missouri's and KU's best players in the last decade weren't from Texas.

If we could get the recruits Texas signs every they wouldn't start at Nebraska because we have the walk-on program :sarcasm

We weren't in the Big XII in the 90s.

Saying recruiting Texas is overrated is completely ignorant. Why do all major programs recruit that state then? Yeah they have no talent there....keep thinking that. If Nebraska wants to win today we have no choice but to put a huge emphasis on Texas, just like Florida and California...because we are in the Big XII, Texas recruiting is automatically the most important recruiting base.

• Fire 1

Your saying how vital Texas recruiting is, and the FACTS that we (probably) won't have a Texas starter and will (probably) be a Top 10 team going into the season is EXACTLY the point of this thread. It just doesn't fit with your opinion.

I haven't seen anyone say that it's not important to recruit in Texas nor has anyone said there's no talent there.

I have nothing more to say.

cmon guys, do you really expect the 16 of 22 texas kids on the roster that are no older than redshirt sophmores to take jobs from the guys that are 2 years more experienced? of course nebraska recruiting is important too but it is nowhere near the level that recruiting texas is. yes a 4 star is still a 4 star from both states and yes both of those players come in with a similar skill level but the fact is that texas produces more 4 star players than does nebraska!

if you are going to make the argument that recruiting texas is overrated then you need to wait until bo has his 5th recruiting class and see how many texas starters we have during that time period because that is one full recruiting cycle and callahan did not recruit texas nearly as hard as bo does.

saying that sophmores cant beat out seniors for a starting job so they must be busts is just downright stupid! those players have more time in the system, more time to develope, and they are older and more equipped for the college game due to their age.

texas recruiting is in no way overrated.

OK, one more shot at it, because I think we're looking at this from different points. If b-rent's post was meant for me, nowhere did I say our Texans are busts. Hopefully many of them will be good, and in a year or two the Texans may be the cornerstone of our team. You certainly CAN win with Texas recruits. I'm not trying to argue that.

What I keep hearing is that we MUST recruit Texas to win, and we CAN'T leave the Big 12 or we'll LOSE Texas recruiting and that will weaken us.

I think the above statement overrates Texas recruiting, because we've proven in the past that we CAN win without Texans playing that much of a role and we're on the verge of proving it again.

I don't need to wait for Bo's 5th recruiting class to make my point. I'm not comparing Bo's Texas recruits vs. his other ones. I'm just seeing that it's not a necessity to recruit Texas hard to win.