Is Texas recruiting over-rated for NU?

We all agree that Texas recruiting is important just for the sheer number of D1 players the state produces... but is it over-rated? NU currently has more scholarship athletes from Texas than anywhere, and yet, I can't find a single 1(a) starter from Texas on the roster (I've got Cody Green and Rex Burkhead as 1b's on my projected depth chart for the fall). I know taking the name "Texas" in vein is akin to blasphemy in some circles but there are people who think we can't survive without recruiting Texas (a position against moving to the big 10), and the facts just don't ad up. The facts are that Nebraska is currently getting more quality P.T. out of fewer scholarship recruits from CA, KS, AZ, LA and MO than Texas. I'm not saying there’s not top talent in Texas, were just not consitently getting it, and the players we are getting are solid, just not a lot of starters yet.

2010 Projected Starters (by way of)

Offense:

QB: Zac Lee (CA)

RB: Roy Helu (CA)

FB: Legate/Zimmerer (NE/NE)

OL: Hardrick/Smith (KS/NV) Williams (MO), Caputo (NE), Henry (NE), Jones/Qvale/Sirles (AZ/ND/CO)

WR: Paul (NE), Kinne (KS), McNeil (MO)

TE: Young/Reed/Cotton? (NE/KS/NE)

Defense:

DL: Meredith (CA), Crick (NE), Steinkuhler/Moore (NE/LA), Allen (CO)

LB: Fisher (NE), Compton (MO)

Peso: Hagg (AZ)

DB's: Smith/Thenarse (LA/CA), Gomes (CA), Dennard (NC), Amukamara (AZ)

Don't get me wrong Texas recruiting is padding our depth all over, they make wicked special team players: Whaley, Kunalic, Blue, etc. I just don't buy that we can't find comparable athletes else ware if we had to. What do you think?

We have hit Texas hard the past two seasons and we have gotten some great players out of the state of Texas like Rex Burkhead. We are lucky to have Coach Beck on our staff. We have some young Texans on our roster that show some great promise; like Andrew Green, Alonzo Whaley, Cody Green, the Osbornes, Coffey, Ash, and Guy.

We are also in on some great players in that state for 2011: AG and Russell, we also nabbed Turner.

So to answer your question, NO!

We all agree that Texas recruiting is important just for the sheer number of D1 players the state produces... but is it over-rated? NU currently has more scholarship athletes from Texas than anywhere, and yet, I can't find a single 1(a) starter from Texas on the roster (I've got Cody Green and Rex Burkhead as 1b's on my projected depth chart for the fall). I know taking the name "Texas" in vein is akin to blasphemy in some circles but there are people who think we can't survive without recruiting Texas (a position against moving to the big 10), and the facts just don't ad up. The facts are that Nebraska is currently getting more quality P.T. out of fewer scholarship recruits from CA, KS, AZ, LA and MO than Texas. I'm not saying there’s not top talent in Texas, were just not consitently getting it, and the players we are getting are solid, just not a lot of starters yet.

2010 Projected Starters (by way of)

Offense:

QB: Zac Lee (CA)

RB: Roy Helu (CA)

FB: Legate/Zimmerer (NE/NE)

OL: Hardrick/Smith (KS/NV) Williams (MO), Caputo (NE), Henry (NE), Jones/Qvale/Sirles (AZ/ND/CO)

WR: Paul (NE), Kinne (KS), McNeil (MO)

TE: Young/Reed/Cotton? (NE/KS/NE)

Defense:

DL: Meredith (CA), Crick (NE), Steinkuhler/Moore (NE/LA), Allen (CO)

LB: Fisher (NE), Compton (MO)

Peso: Hagg (AZ)

DB's: Smith/Thenarse (LA/CA), Gomes (CA), Dennard (NC), Amukamara (AZ)

Don't get me wrong Texas recruiting is padding our depth all over, they make wicked special team players: Whaley, Kunalic, Blue, etc. I just don't buy that we can't find comparable athletes else ware if we had to. What do you think?

Most of those players with the exception of Blue are still pretty young and inexperienced besides burkhead and Green who have some experience, but Blue tore his ACL but the 2007 season he was probably our best DB. Texas has been real good to Nebraska in producing good players in the past: Demarrio Williams, Keyou Craver, TJ Hollowell, Aaron taylor, there are some I am missing.

Texas has been real good to Nebraska in producing good players in the past: Demarrio Williams, Keyou Craver, TJ Hollowell, Aaron taylor, there are some I am missing.

Turner Gill.

To the OP - yes, we could ignore Texas completely and still field a fine team, it would just be harder. Texas produces fine football players, and in greater concentration than most other states (CA and FL being the notable exceptions). When you're sifting through the country looking for top talent, it just makes sense to go where the highest concentration of top players are. Recruiting Texas is a no-brainer.

Texas has been real good to Nebraska in producing good players in the past: Demarrio Williams, Keyou Craver, TJ Hollowell, Aaron taylor, there are some I am missing.

Turner Gill.

To the OP - yes, we could ignore Texas completely and still field a fine team, it would just be harder. Texas produces fine football players, and in greater concentration than most other states (CA and FL being the notable exceptions). When you're sifting through the country looking for top talent, it just makes sense to go where the highest concentration of top players are. Recruiting Texas is a no-brainer.

good catch! :thumbs

This doesn't really answer your question but is more for the sake of perspective from a numbers standpoint.

The state of Texas produced 408 D-1 players in the 2010 recruiting class. 178 of those players stayed in Texas. The other 230 went out-of-state.

All three of our Heisman winners are not from the state of Texas, two from Nebraska and one from New Jersey just a stat I should throw out there.

Texas is a great state to recruit kids from but finding the right player and having the right coach to coach that player into becoming a dominate player is all it takes.

Alot of the famous ex Huskers that we still love to this day, most of them didn't come out of the state of Texas: Johnny Rodgers, Mike Rozier, Eric Crouch, Tommie Frazier, Grant Wistrom, Trev Alberts, Dave Rimington, Dean Steinkuhler, Ndamukong Suh, Joel Mackovika, Scott Frost, Ahman Green, Lawerence Philli....I'm gonna stop right there :lol:

Yes its good to recruit in Texas but there is other talent in other states and it depends on how these players are coached. No offense to any player who comes from Texas though because we've had and do have talent that has played for Nebraska but there is other good talent elsewhere.

We have hit Texas hard the past two seasons and we have gotten some great players out of the state of Texas like Rex Burkhead. We are lucky to have Coach Beck on our staff. We have some young Texans on our roster that show some great promise; like Andrew Green, Alonzo Whaley, Cody Green, the Osbornes, Coffey, Ash, and Guy.

We are also in on some great players in that state for 2011: AG and Russell, we also nabbed Turner.

I agree Texas recruiting is important from a depth standpoint: The players you mentioned on our roster are some of our best special-teams performers and back-up depth. If it wasn't for Texas O-lineman like B. Thompson, N. Ash, and J. Coffey our Nebraska born DT's wouldn't have a scout team to go against from what I hear and we couldn't cover kicks without guys like Andrew Green, Alonzo Whaley, and the Osbornes :sarcasm . Look...I have no doubt that recruiting analysts love to gush over the upside of Texas Recruits. But the truth is that recruits from the same classes, from other parts of the country, many less heralded, are seeing the field instead of/before the Texas kids. I am not arguing that Texas is not producing talent, just that its importance to NU football is over-rated perhaps. As far as 2011 recruits, we'll see in do-time, but I remember the same kind of hyperbole following recruits like Chris Williams, Will Henry, B. Thompson, Q. Castille, etc. and we've yet to see a star come out of Texas in this recent era. Probably the closest would be L.B. (Converted R.B.) Cody Glenn, who in fairness was lost on the depth chart at running back. The facts just don't seem to match the perceptions.

• Fire 1

I agree Texas recruiting is important from a depth standpoint: The players you mentioned on our roster are some of our best special-teams performers and back-up depth. If it wasn't for Texas O-lineman like B. Thompson, N. Ash, and J. Coffey our Nebraska born DT's wouldn't have a scout team to go against from what I hear and we couldn't cover kicks without guys like Andrew Green, Alonzo Whaley, and the Osbornes :sarcasm . Look...I have no doubt that recruiting analysts love to gush over the upside of Texas Recruits. But the truth is that recruits from the same classes, from other parts of the country, many less heralded, are seeing the field instead of/before the Texas kids. I am not arguing that Texas is not producing talent, just that its importance to NU football is over-rated perhaps. As far as 2011 recruits, we'll see in do-time, but I remember the same kind of hyperbole following recruits like Chris Williams, Will Henry, B. Thompson, Q. Castille, etc. and we've yet to see a star come out of Texas in this recent era. Probably the closest would be L.B. (Converted R.B.) Cody Glenn, who in fairness was lost on the depth chart at running back. The facts just don't seem to match the perceptions.

I'm going to have to disagree 100% with you. Texas is probably the most important state to Nebraska football. The reason we haven't seen a "Texas star" at Nebraska in recent years is because Bill Callahan didn't recruit the state. The only kids he pulled out of Texas were Cody Glenn (3 :star RB), Castille (4 :star RB), Shawn Sullivan (3 :star DB), Marcus Mendoza (3 :star DB), and Will Henry (3 :star WR). None of these kids were rated very high outside of Castille.......and every person I know would tell you Castille is well worth the 4 :star s.

Now that Bo/Beck have put a strong effort into Texas, I have no doubt that many of our stars will be Texas kids. It still takes Texas kids time to develop.

For example, let's look at the stars at KU and MU over the last few years. Remember we took Beck from KU.

Todd Reesing - Texas

Dezmon Briscoe - Texas

Chase Daniel - Texas

Denario Alexander - Texas

Sean weatherspoon - Texas

Pretty amazing how the only star player on either of these teams over this time period to not come out of Texas is Jeremy Maclin.

Also, pretty amazing that these two schools success on the field happened exactly when we sucked and didn't recruit Texas.

You are smoking crack if you think it's only good to have Texas kids to fill up the depth chart and play special teams.

• Fire 2

Once Bo wins a conference championship or a BCS game and establishes NU as a national power again, the Texas recruiting will be less vital. What you get when you recruit Texas in an overwhelming amount of kids who play in similar systems and against great talent. Nebraska's disadvantage population wise has to be overcome by coaching and pipeline recruiting. But the more national your program becomes, the less you need to rely on any one place to get your kind of player. I'd expect a broadening of NU's recruiting base in the coming years.

I'm going to have to disagree 100% with you. Texas is probably the most important state to Nebraska football. The reason we haven't seen a "Texas star" at Nebraska in recent years is because Bill Callahan didn't recruit the state. The only kids he pulled out of Texas were Cody Glenn (3 :star RB), Castille (4 :star RB), Shawn Sullivan (3 :star DB), Marcus Mendoza (3 :star DB), and Will Henry (3 :star WR). None of these kids were rated very high outside of Castille.......and every person I know would tell you Castille is well worth the 4 :star s.

Now that Bo/Beck have put a strong effort into Texas, I have no doubt that many of our stars will be Texas kids. It still takes Texas kids time to develop.

For example, let's look at the stars at KU and MU over the last few years. Remember we took Beck from KU.

Todd Reesing - Texas

Dezmon Briscoe - Texas

Chase Daniel - Texas

Denario Alexander - Texas

Sean weatherspoon - Texas

Pretty amazing how the only star player on either of these teams over this time period to not come out of Texas is Jeremy Maclin.

Also, pretty amazing that these two schools success on the field happened exactly when we sucked and didn't recruit Texas.

You are smoking crack if you think it's only good to have Texas kids to fill up the depth chart and play special teams.

Don't loose track of the origional question: Nobody has argued that its "only good to have Texas kids to fill up the depth chart and play special teams." Instead I'm making the argument that recent Texas recruiting success has made little impact on the current Huskers. We will have 22 Texas kids on schalarship on the fall roster for 2010 and not one for sure positional starter (save for Kunalic who likely red-shirts). Conversely we'll have 16 Nebraska kids on scholarship and no less than 7 starters from Nebraska (R. Henry, Caputo, Paul, Legate, Crick, Steinkuhler, Fisher, A. Henry). I'm not arguing that recruiting Texas isn't important... just over-rated to NU's recent & immediate success.

• Fire 1

Don't loose track of the origional question: Nobody has argued that its "only good to have Texas kids to fill up the depth chart and play special teams." Instead I'm making the argument that recent Texas recruiting success has made little impact on the current Huskers. We will have 22 Texas kids on schalarship on the fall roster for 2010 and not one for sure positional starter (save for Kunalic who likely red-shirts). Conversely we'll have 16 Nebraska kids on scholarship and no less than 7 starters from Nebraska (R. Henry, Caputo, Paul, Legate, Crick, Steinkuhler, Fisher, A. Henry). I'm not arguing that recruiting Texas isn't important... just over-rated to NU's recent & immediate success.

I still disagree with you 100%. Your original question was "Is Texas recruiting overrated?" And the answer is NO, absolutely not.

In 2008 and 2009, we got 8 kids from Texas each year. That means this fall the 2008 class will be redshirt sophomores. All kids take time to develop. You will eat your words year after year as long as we keep recruiting the state. Like I said before, we haven't had many Texas stars lately b/c Coach BC didn't recruit the state. Bo's first class almost entirely redshirted and are now just getting ready to even break the depth chart.

Texas recruiting is not overrated at all....not even a little, not in the most minuscule way possible.

• Fire 2

There are stories behind why most of the 2007 Texas recruits did not contribute. Witt transferred if I recall, Castille was taken off the team, Blue had an injury, Kunalic is behind a phenom. Gilleylen and Mendoza are the only ones that got a decent chance to show their stuff and neither were highly touted. Mendoza could possibly have contributed at a different position if he had started elsewhere.

Since then all but one 4-star have seen playing time other than mop-up duty.

I still disagree with you 100%. Your original question was "Is Texas recruiting overrated?" And the answer is NO, absolutely not.

In 2008 and 2009, we got 8 kids from Texas each year. That means this fall the 2008 class will be redshirt sophomores. All kids take time to develop. You will eat your words year after year as long as we keep recruiting the state. Like I said before, we haven't had many Texas stars lately b/c Coach BC didn't recruit the state. Bo's first class almost entirely redshirted and are now just getting ready to even break the depth chart.

Texas recruiting is not overrated at all....not even a little, not in the most minuscule way possible.

I hear a lot of hyperbole, a bunch of excuses, and still not a starter on the team from Texas. Maybe someday? Really... I should hope so... We have 22 scholarship athletes from Texas. We only have 85 scholarships (thats 25% of our scholarships). No other state has a worse record when it comes to scholarship athletes on roster vs. starters. I'm just stating the facts. Just the shear numbers seem to demand that somebody could crack the starting line-up from Texas. We have more Nebraska walk-ons starting than Texas athletes. I'll take 22 extra scholarship athletes from the Mid-West any day; of course, I'm hardly a Texas apologist.

• Fire 1