Is Texas recruiting over-rated for NU?

It is certainly too early to pass judgement on any of Pelini's classes, so it is impossible to determine how our current staff's Texas commits will fare. However, looking at data from 2002-2007, the OP has a point.

During this time period, we received more than 10 commits from California, Florida, Nebraska, and Texas. I tallied the number of players from each state who had significant playing time (only starters) and who received all-conference recognition (defined as at least one all-conference honorable mention by either the coaches or the AP). I did NOT include walk-ons. Here are the results:

California - 25 commits - 44% had significant playing time and 24% received all-conference recognition

Florida - 13 commits - 46% had significant playing time and 15% received all-conference recognition

Nebraska - 29 commits - 59% had significant playing time and 45% received all-conference recognition

Texas - 20 commits - 45% had significant playing time and 15% received all-conference recognition

Now I'm not discounting the fact that Texas has very good football players, but neither Solich nor Callahan were effective in recruiting difference makers from the Lonestar state.

Out of the 9 Texas commits from the 2008 class, I believe that Whaley and Williams have the best chance to contribute this year. Out of the 5 Nebraska commits from the 2008 class, Steinkuhler and Fisher have already contributed and look to possibly take over starting roles this year.

While I'm not going to say that Texas recruiting is not important, I'm in agreement with those that think that we can succeed without as much focus on it.

What needs to be added to this conversation is the fact that jumping to the big 10 and their huge TV network puts our product in more homes for kids all over the country to see. The talent we lose from texas CAN be replaced by ohio, michigan and as we move more east in the network places like NJ.

By the way...all that Texass talent has one Mack brown how many titles? The talent is overrated. I refuse to believe the athletes in texas are that much better than the rest of the country. The difference is Texass kids are better prepared for the next level from their high school experience. You get a solid coach like Bo and you can overcome this deficit and still have great talent.

We have hit Texas hard the past two seasons and we have gotten some great players out of the state of Texas like Rex Burkhead. We are lucky to have Coach Beck on our staff. We have some young Texans on our roster that show some great promise; like Andrew Green, Alonzo Whaley, Cody Green, the Osbornes, Coffey, Ash, and Guy.

We are also in on some great players in that state for 2011: AG and Russell, we also nabbed Turner.

So to answer your question, NO!

I agree Texas recruiting is important from a depth standpoint: The players you mentioned on our roster are some of our best special-teams performers and back-up depth. If it wasn't for Texas O-lineman like B. Thompson, N. Ash, and J. Coffey our Nebraska born DT's wouldn't have a scout team to go against from what I hear and we couldn't cover kicks without guys like Andrew Green, Alonzo Whaley, and the Osbornes :sarcasm . Look...I have no doubt that recruiting analysts love to gush over the upside of Texas Recruits. But the truth is that recruits from the same classes, from other parts of the country, many less heralded, are seeing the field instead of/before the Texas kids. I am not arguing that Texas is not producing talent, just that its importance to NU football is over-rated perhaps. As far as 2011 recruits, we'll see in do-time, but I remember the same kind of hyperbole following recruits like Chris Williams, Will Henry, B. Thompson, Q. Castille, etc. and we've yet to see a star come out of Texas in this recent era. Probably the closest would be L.B. (Converted R.B.) Cody Glenn, who in fairness was lost on the depth chart at running back. The facts just don't seem to match the perceptions.

You mention Ash and Coffey as if they are 5th year seniors that will never sniff the field. They are RS freshman that our coachs have high hopes for. Also Andrew Green didnt play a down last year as he red-shirted. Pelini said towards the end of the year he could have started for us. Texas recruiting is going to become more and more important to NU. By the way Courntey Osborne is getting after it for that other safety spot as well. Steven may play some downs this year at WR.

Castille played some solid years for us and you cant hold HIS decisions against any coaching staff. Chris Williams did that to himself as well. Cody Glenn currently plays for a team called the Indianapolis Colts. Maybe you have heard of them.

Im sure if we get AG this year that we may as well just send him back because he will only be a special teams player for us.

As for a star that has come out in recent memory, how about Rex Burkhead? Or is he just another roster filler that adds depth and a good special teams player?

• Fire 2

I've gotta go w/ the OP as well. We should be a top 10 team this year - without Texas tallent. That is the OP. We don't NEED Texas kids. Is it nice to be able to travel to Dallas and see 15 highly regarded recruits within a 20 mile radius? Sure. Should we continue to recruit there? Absolutely. But the point is we don't NEED to recruit there. No one is disputing the fact that tallent doesn't exist there. I am sure some of our recent recruits will develop into quality players. No one once said they wouldn't. But the point is we can walk away from Texas and still field a top 10 team - we are this year...so it's IMPOSSIBLE to argue that it can't be done. To say that we'd be looking to the JUCO ranks and scrounging for scraps is ignorant - considering there are about 4,000 3* and above recruits that live outside of Texas. I think that's a big enough pool to grab 25 from. (Frankly I'd welcome it because we wouldn't be losing a recruit because he forgot his jacket) :)

Also, just because we move into the Big 10 doesn't mean we can't continue to recruit Texas. Does every Texas kid want to play in the Big12? I doubt it. If anything I think we would bring something to the table that no other school in the area could. We aren't that far from Texas. The weather isn't drastically different (not like Michigan to Texas anyway). In fact, if you are a Michigan kid, playing in Nebraska is probably like playing in the tropics. We could finally convince a recruit that the weather is better in Nebraska than anywhere else in the conference. No to mention, plenty of Texas/Oklahoma kids would love the change to play against Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Iowa & Purdue year in and year out. Frankly it sounds more appealing than Baylor, Colorado, Kansas, K-State, Iowa St, Missouri, A&M, Tech, Oklahoma St, etc, etc. I think we'd have a pretty solid package to sell to both Texas recruits and Ohio/Michigan/Illini recruits.

no one is saying you NEED to recruit there, but it is not overrated.

I will say you NEED to recruit there. You could also choose not to and only recruit Cali, Florida, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska.....but that makes about as much sense as combining your bed and toilet.

Of course, you also stated: "Without the state of Texas, half the teams in D1 couldn't field a team." You also wrote: "Texas is probably the most important state to Nebraska football." Really? You are placing way too much importance on the state of Texas. DeMorrio Williams, Greg Austin, and Terrence Nunn are the only Huskers from Texas that have received all-conference recognition from players recruited since 2002. While you state that we didn't focus on Texas recruiting during this time period, we averaged more than 3 Texas recruits per year from 2002-2007.

Look at the numbers from my post above. I really would like to hear your case for why Texas recruiting is more important than instate recruiting. Sure, we have had a recruiting victory or two in Texas over the past couple of recruiting cycles, but most of the time we are left to pick through the scraps left over by Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Texas A&M. In Nebraska and some of the surrounding areas, we are the 1st choice. Now I hope that players like Thad Randle, Andrew Green, and Harvey Jackson prove me wrong. But right now, everyone who is so high on Texas is basing this on hope for the future, not results.

I will say you NEED to recruit there. You could also choose not to and only recruit Cali, Florida, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska.....but that makes about as much sense as combining your bed and toilet.

Why does that not make sense? Cali doesn't have recruits? Florida none? Missouri no quality tallent? We don't have starters from Kansas/Nebraska? Going out of your way to avoid Texas doesn't make sense I agree (that's not what anyone is saying) - but if the staff decided to concentrate recruiting on Cali, Florida, and the Big 10 states and not 'actively' recruit kids from Texas - we'd have a forum full of "i trust the coaches" statements (EZ-E would be the first) and I'm sure we'd still have top 25 classes, stellar defenses and good enough offenses to find a way to win.

I don't see it happening...but if it did I think NU football would come out just fine.

We are debating a complete hypothetical because our coaches would NEVER EVER say let's not recruit Texas. There is no reason Bo would say to his staff "we shouldn't recruit the state with the highest concentration of quality talent and spread ourselves out." That makes absolutely no sense.

We should be asking, why are we getting the higher rated kids. None of Callahan's recruits were highly rated outside of Castille and he was worth ever bit of the 4stars he was given. The question is why aren't we getting the right guys out of Texas? Not is Texas recruiting overrated?

I'm on the "I trust the coaches" bandwagon as much as anyone. And I trust the coaches decision to put a HUGE emphasis on Texas. Maybe you don't trust the coaches?

There is talent everywhere in the country. A 4star from Texas is the same as one from any other state. But why on earth would you not recruit the state that produces so many 4stars and is also very close while in the same conference?????

Of course, you also stated: "Without the state of Texas, half the teams in D1 couldn't field a team." You also wrote: "Texas is probably the most important state to Nebraska football." Really? You are placing way too much importance on the state of Texas. DeMorrio Williams, Greg Austin, and Terrence Nunn are the only Huskers from Texas that have received all-conference recognition from players recruited since 2002. While you state that we didn't focus on Texas recruiting during this time period, we averaged more than 3 Texas recruits per year from 2002-2007.

Look at the numbers from my post above. I really would like to hear your case for why Texas recruiting is more important than instate recruiting. Sure, we have had a recruiting victory or two in Texas over the past couple of recruiting cycles, but most of the time we are left to pick through the scraps left over by Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Texas A&M. In Nebraska and some of the surrounding areas, we are the 1st choice. Now I hope that players like Thad Randle, Andrew Green, and Harvey Jackson prove me wrong. But right now, everyone who is so high on Texas is basing this on hope for the future, not results.

How many other All-Conference kids did we have since 2002? Not very many. Again, the question shouldn't be is Texas recruiting overrated...it should be why aren't we getting the right guys out of Texas?

Of the three Texas recruits a year we averaged from 2002-2007, 1 if I'm mistaken was rated 4 stars...Q Castille. IMO, he was worth every star.

The question in this thread is "Is recruiting Texas overrated?" With 1 - 4 star, how can that be overrated?

I've got to go back and look at your "numbers" post....I'll comment on it.

I will also guarantee that the following Texas kids will either start or play significant minutes before they leave Nebraska (2008-2010):

Rex Burkhead (already has)

Cody Green (already has)

Tray Robinson (already has)

Andrew Green

Josh Williams

An Osborne

Thad Randle

Chase Harper (JuCo Texas)

Ciante Evans

Harvey Jackson

Jess Coffey

That's 11 out of 21. Pretty good percentage.

These guys also have a good shot at playing significant minutes:

Nick Ash

Jay Guy

Donovan Vestal

Alonzo Whaley

The other Osborne

You dont need to just look at Nebraska's roster just to base your opinion that recruiting the state of Texas. Look at How UT has done with JUST Texas kids, or Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State (the past couple of seasons), or Texas Tech. These schools mostily recruit the Texas area and seem to do very well with it. All of those schools have had big time players and most if not all of those players have come from the state of Texas, yes instate recruiting is very important too, but the state of Texas not only adds needed depth to a roster. But the Michael Crabtrees, Dez Bryants, Colt McCoys, Sergio Kindles, Earl Thomas's, Kendall Hunter, Cedric Benson came from texas. Its not overrated by any means.

It is certainly too early to pass judgement on any of Pelini's classes, so it is impossible to determine how our current staff's Texas commits will fare. However, looking at data from 2002-2007, the OP has a point.

During this time period, we received more than 10 commits from California, Florida, Nebraska, and Texas. I tallied the number of players from each state who had significant playing time (only starters) and who received all-conference recognition (defined as at least one all-conference honorable mention by either the coaches or the AP). I did NOT include walk-ons. Here are the results:

California - 25 commits - 44% had significant playing time and 24% received all-conference recognition

Florida - 13 commits - 46% had significant playing time and 15% received all-conference recognition

Nebraska - 29 commits - 59% had significant playing time and 45% received all-conference recognition

Texas - 20 commits - 45% had significant playing time and 15% received all-conference recognition

Now I'm not discounting the fact that Texas has very good football players, but neither Solich nor Callahan were effective in recruiting difference makers from the Lonestar state.

Out of the 9 Texas commits from the 2008 class, I believe that Whaley and Williams have the best chance to contribute this year. Out of the 5 Nebraska commits from the 2008 class, Steinkuhler and Fisher have already contributed and look to possibly take over starting roles this year.

While I'm not going to say that Texas recruiting is not important, I'm in agreement with those that think that we can succeed without as much focus on it.

You answered my point in your response. Callahan was way more effective recruiting Cali and Bo/Beck are way more effective recruiting Texas. You can't use your numbers to discount the fact that recruiting Texas isn't important.

How many other All-Conference kids did we have since 2002? Not very many. Again, the question shouldn't be is Texas recruiting overrated...it should be why aren't we getting the right guys out of Texas?

Of the three Texas recruits a year we averaged from 2002-2007, 1 if I'm mistaken was rated 4 stars...Q Castille. IMO, he was worth every star.

The question in this thread is "Is recruiting Texas overrated?" With 1 - 4 star, how can that be overrated?

I've got to go back and look at your "numbers" post....I'll comment on it.

Just scholarship players from the state of Nebraska during the same time period with all-conference recognition:

Jay Moore

Matt Herian

Kurt Mann

Dane Todd

Andrew Shanle

Tierre Green

Bo Ruud

Cortney Grixby

Ty Steinkuhler

Zach Potter

Ricky Henry

Jared Crick

Niles Paul

I disagree with Castille. In two seasons, he rushed for 852 yards with 4.5 ypc. I didn't think David Horne from Omaha lived up to his 4 stars either, and in two seasons he rushed for 1,152 yards with 4.7 ypc.

Perhaps over-rated is not the correct terminology. It is just that our recent recruits from Texas have yet to make much of an impact.

Looking at the 2007 class, we have the following:

Amukumara - AZ - 1st team all-conference

Asante - VA - 1st team all-conference

Crick - NE = 1st team all-conference

Hagg - AZ - honorable mention all-conference

Helu - CA - 2nd team all-conference

Jones - AZ - starter

Lee - CA - starter

Murillo - NM - starter

Paul - NE - honorable mention all-conference

While 25% of our 2007 class was from the state of Texas, these are the players that have contributed:

Blue - 2 career starts

Castille - stats mentioned above

Gilleylen - 2 career starts

Kunalic - kick-off specialist

Shouldn't we expect more production out of 25% of our class?