ATH Christian French

Apathy

• 3 weeks later...

Saw on an Iowa board that his numbers this year have been VERY unproductive. In fact they took French's stats and threw them next to a kid that was at a similar school and the no name kid blows him out of the water.

I personally believe that his ranking was based almost purely on potential and measurables. He really wants to play on offense and he couldn't catch a cold. Not a huge loss at all, considering if he saw the field before 3 years it would have been a small miracle.

• 1 month later...
The University of Oregon head football coach and his assistant did their homework on Christian French. They were persistent and thorough in their recruitment of the Cedar Rapids Kennedy senior and were a major reason he has committed to the BCS Championship Game-bound Ducks.

But don’t underestimate the influence of Herschel Dixon. French’s best friend didn’t tell him where to go to college but convinced him three years ago as a sophomore just to play football.

Look at your buddy now, Herschel. Nice work.

“It was a car ride,” Dixon said. “We were just driving, talking and everything. We were talking about basketball, and how he wanted to pursue that. I just told him we could really use him on the football field. Hey, I’m all for the team. I want my team to get better. A 4.3-(second) 40, 6-foot-6, absolutely. So I just told him to go out for football, he tried it, and he’s on varsity. The rest is history.”

French selected Oregon over Iowa and Notre Dame. During his press conference in a Kennedy cafeteria packed with classmates, family members and other well-wishers, French reached momentarily for a Hawkeye hat sitting in front of him before grabbing an Oregon one he put on his head to robust applause.

“The coaching staff has been there for me, has been here a number of times,” French said. “They really did their work and investigated what kind of person I am. I really appreciate that. You’ve really got to meet those types of people to go to their school.

“This is a school that having a conversation with the coaches is like home … I know it’s far away from home, but I feel like being far away from home is what I need to become a man.”

Considered an “athlete,” the 6-foot-6 French had one carry for 76 yards and 10 receptions for 111 yards this past season. Defensively, he played a linebacker-safety-end hybrid position and finished with 67 tackles, seven for loss.

Oregon recruited him as a tight end, but already has told him he’ll move to defensive end-outside linebacker if tight end doesn’t work out. His best days as a football player are considered well ahead of him, as he had always concentrated on basketball and didn’t play football between sixth and 10th grades.

French is a four-star recruit according to Rivals.com and considered the top senior player in Iowa.

“Their tight end is a flanker,” Kennedy Coach Tim Lewis said. “They’ll line him up on the line of scrimmage, they’ll line him up off of it. I think he’s got a great shot at that position because he’s going to run a lot of underneath routes, he’s going to run a lot of reverse-type action stuff where they’ll hand it to him.”

Lewis said he was very impressed with the way Oregon recruited French. Coaches spent full days at Kennedy, talking to Kennedy teachers, administrators and friends about him.

Kelly and Osborne were at Kennedy on Tuesday for a finals sales pitch, with Kelly ditching his suit coat and playing basketball for about 20 minutes with Lewis’ middle-school son.

“Coach Osborne has been here numerous times, and he told me ‘This guy’s got it figured out,’” Lewis said of Kelly. “He’s a great people person, he understands people, he’s a great guy. Getting all these (coaching) awards is just killing him because he’s just a T-shirt, blue jeans guy. He hates being chauffered anywhere.”

French – who said he didn’t make his decision until Wednesday night – will major in sports marketing, another reason he chose Oregon. The school’s sports programs have been recipients of significant funding from Nike, which is based in the state.

“I was originally supposed to make the decision a long time ago, but that’s how hard it was,” he said. ”I finally decided after I left basketball practice last night. I’ve been thinking about it all yesterday and everything like that. After I left basketball practice, I just got the feeling Oregon was the right place for me. I went home and told my parents that’s what I wanted to do, and they were comfortable with it.”