BIG NEWS

Competition wise, it's still about the fourth or fifth toughest conference.

Lately. Again, too often people ignore the cyclical nature of college football, where each new recruiting class or each coaching change brings with it a potential to falter. The fact is that three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football history are from the Big 10 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State). This is a conference of teams with extremely stable bases. They are not immune to the fluctuations of victory and loss that all schools fall prey to, but they are less prone than most to stay down for long based on the huge fan bases, traditions and money they have.

Did you really think Nebraska would stay down very long when we sucked a few years ago? Of course not. You knew what kind of program we have, what kind of fan base we have, what kind of overwhelming support we have. You knew that we'd right the ship, most likely sooner rather than later.

Did you really think Oklahoma would stay down very long when they sucked after Switzer left?

Do you really think the football structures supporting the Big 10 schools will allow them to remain below the Pac-10 or the ACC? Really?

Yes really. Joining the Big 10 will have ZERO impact on NU's recruiting.

Zero impact? :laughpound:laughpound

We'd be getting most of our talent from the rust belt as opposed to Texas or in the case of PAC-12+4? the warmer climes of all year football out here.

It's true almost all teams go through cycles. But in addition to that, there's a large migration of people moving to Warmer climates and I don't see the Big-Televen area making a comeback other than the sacrificial lambs of OSU getting through unscathed only because the rest of the conference is too slow to get many of their players from the south...Or maybe because they're all having the same menstral cycle.

Sorry to be dragging my heels, but I've despised the Big-10 for so long..it's hard to do an about face with a smile just because there's money involved.

I feel like we're being forced into an aranged mariage with a really UGLY transvestite with a rich Dad and an ironclad pre-nup that doesn't allow us to play with any of our old friends anymore.

I didn't learn to hate our rivals yet...but at least I respected them.

With all do respect Its not like OU hasnt embarassed itsself on the national stage on multiple occasions.... I travel to SEC country all the time they are not singing big twelve praises.... You can talk about the rust belt all you want but truth is the mid west (Chicago, Indi, the three large cities in Ohio ect) have a large television market... I never understood the argument that towns in states like Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama ect have more appeal than the north.... EXPOSURE and money build recruiting you will have more of it over here... I didint realize Nebraska fans fell under the same delusions about the Big 14 that people in Lexington are under... come on man...I have a great amount of respect for NU, its fans, and tradition... I for one hope this happens

Sorry if I offended, and please don't judge an entire fanbase by my rantings.

I married a Buckeye and I guess I learned to hate theOSU as a form of retaliation..Also resent that my only Son still has MY Alma-Matter as his second favourite team.

I'd have to admit but only at gunpoint that the Big-11 impressed a little last year, but I can't help but still be reminded of our own "Big-Two/little-6" days with tOSU playing the part of '72-'92 Nebraska.

Vince has a point that's being overlooked because of his reputation. We recruit in New Jersey and don't play games against Big East opponents. We recruit out of California and we don't play against the Pac-10. We recruit out of Florida and we don't play in the SEC.

This argument that if we go to the Big 10 that our Texas recruiting will dry up has no basis. Show me a region of this country where NEBRASKA can't recruit and I'll show you a region that has never heard of football.

I suppose I could post wrong so as not to always be right.

But yes - your post is correct. I just don't like having to spell out the obvious and won't do it for the sake of others as I know you will after a few show they don't get it. ;)

Hey I'm not saying that our recruiting will dry up. Do I think it could have a small impact on recruiting, possibly. The point of my post isn't to dispute the weather or not our recruiting will be impacted. The point of my post is in regards to the fact that many of the posts I have read from Vince have to include him dismissing anyone else's opinion if it differs from his own. As you can see I have been a member since 06 and dont post a whole lot. I am on this board almost daily and for the most part just read what others have to say. It does get old however to constantly listen to this guy and his cocky attitude that nobody else could possibly be right in their opinion if isnt the same as his.

And another thing.... Vince since you seem to be the great almighty, if you'd like to join me in the woodshed I would be happy to voice my opinion of you in a place where I wont get banned for it!

• Fire 1

Hey I'm not saying that our recruiting will dry up. Do I think it could have a small impact on recruiting, possibly. The point of my post isn't to dispute the weather or not our recruiting will be impacted. The point of my post is in regards to the fact that many of the posts I have read from Vince have to include him dismissing anyone else's opinion if it differs from his own. As you can see I have been a member since 06 and dont post a whole lot. I am on this board almost daily and for the most part just read what others have to say. It does get old however to constantly listen to this guy and his cocky attitude that nobody else could possibly be right in their opinion if isnt the same as his.

And another thing.... Vince since you seem to be the great almighty, if you'd like to join me in the woodshed I would be happy to voice my opinion of you in a place where I wont get banned for it!

Lighten up Francis. You'll lose there as would and have any place else.

I will dismiss any and every incorrect post(s) whenever I read it/ them. Why wouldn't I? You actually expect me to agree or give credence to the wrong? Not gonna happen pally!!!!

I will dismiss any and every incorrect post(s) whenever I read it/ them. Why wouldn't I? You actually expect me to agree or give credence to the wrong? Not gonna happen pally!!!!

First off Junior, Im far from your pally. Second of all I didnt say dismiss anything. However, for you to write somone else off as wrong is what is truly "wrong". So now you are saying that you can predict the future and you have proof to back up YOUR opinion? Has the future already happened for you to be able to back your opinion up with facts? No I dont think it has happened now has it. So once again your statements are nothing more than just YOUR opinion!!! You see where Im going with this genius??? You have no way of knowing the direct impact on recruiting that switching to the big 10 will have in the state of Texas, therefore your statement is nothing more than YOUR opinion!!!

Also, if you think im scared of meeting up with you in the Woodshed for fear of loosing to you, you have another think coming. Just as you have backed down on joining me to discuss our differences once before you turn down the invitation once again. Tell ya what.... when your balls drop come and find me and we can settle this in the woodshed if you like!

• Fire 3

Vince has a point that's being overlooked because of his reputation. We recruit in New Jersey and don't play games against Big East opponents. We recruit out of California and we don't play against the Pac-10. We recruit out of Florida and we don't play in the SEC.

This argument that if we go to the Big 10 that our Texas recruiting will dry up has no basis. Show me a region of this country where NEBRASKA can't recruit and I'll show you a region that has never heard of football.

Please..

Not saying it will "dry up"...just be very different (have we even gotten anyone from jersey since the Peter bros)?

My guess is we'll be trading a dozen Texas guys for two half-dozen Ohio guys..er..I mean Any state outside of Ohio.

And Vince..I won't be all that shocked if you're mostly right..But when you start throwing absolute words around like "Always", "Never", or "Zero" I find it hard to believe your arguments.

I'm still wondering what effect that Butterfly I smashed my car into this morning will have on next year's recruiting.

First off Junior, Im far from your pally. Second of all I didnt say dismiss anything. However, for you to write somone else off as wrong is what is truly "wrong". So now you are saying that you can predict the future and you have proof to back up YOUR opinion? Has the future already happened for you to be able to back your opinion up with facts? No I dont think it has happened now has it. So once again your statements are nothing more than just YOUR opinion!!! You see where Im going with this genius??? You have no way of knowing the direct impact on recruiting that switching to the big 10 will have in the state of Texas, therefore your statement is nothing more than YOUR opinion!!!

Also, if you think im scared of meeting up with you in the Woodshed for fear of loosing to you, you have another think coming. Just as you have backed down on joining me to discuss our differences once before you turn down the invitation once again. Tell ya what.... when your balls drop come and find me and we can settle this in the woodshed if you like!

I use logic instead of opinions. You use opinions based on nothing but emotions where I use logic based on actually thinking. There is a HUGE difference. Got it yet pally?

Here's hint. You are posting your opinions because I've pissed you off. Emotions lead to being wrong more than they ever will in being correct. Therefore your opinion is wrong.... Again!

Where you are pissed at me I am laughing at you. :laughpound

I use logic instead of opinions. You use opinions based on nothing but emotions where I use logic based on actually thinking. There is a HUGE difference. Got it yet pally?

Here's hint. You are posting your opinions because I've pissed you off. Emotions lead to being wrong more than they ever will in being correct. Therefore your opinion is wrong.... Again!

Wait!

You're using logic now?

Slow down..

Please..

Not saying it will "dry up"...just be very different (have we even gotten anyone from jersey since the Peter bros)?

My guess is we'll be trading a dozen Texas guys for two half-dozen Ohio guys..er..I mean Any state outside of Ohio.

And Vince..I won't be all that shocked if you're mostly right..But when you start throwing absolute words around like "Always", "Never", or "Zero" I find it hard to believe your arguments.

I'm still wondering what effect that Butterfly I smashed my car into this morning will have on next year's recruiting.

The butterfly will have zero impact on recruiting.

As for me using words like "never", "always", and "zero". I can do it because I don't post from emotion. But I see where you are coming from.

Wait!

You're using logic now?

Slow down..

And making fun. I typed this really slow. Was it slow enough?

There ya have it captain obvious... Yes you did indeed piss me off! You may be able to sit around and try and bully people around with your arrogance, but not this time. I dont care how much you "think", it doesnt change the fact that you are trying to take your opinion and change it to fact, when you will not have the facts to make your opinion "right" until if and when we join the big 10 and see the impact that takes place. This is the point that you are missing. So therefore, if you'd take time to "think", you'd come to realize that once again, your statements are nothing more than your "opinion" of how the impact of recruiting the state of Texas plays out!

• Fire 1
The butterfly effect is a term used in Chaos Theory to describe how tiny variations can affect giant systems, and complex systems, like weather patterns. The term butterfly effect was applied in Chaos Theory to suggest that the wing movements of a butterfly might have significant repercussions on wind strength and movements throughout the weather systems of the world, and theoretically, could cause tornadoes halfway around the world.

What the butterfly effect seems to posit, is that the prediction of the behavior of any large system is virtually impossible unless one could account for all tiny factors, which might have a minute effect on the system. Thus large systems like weather remain impossible to predict because there are too many unknown variables to count.

The term "butterfly effect" is attributed to Edward Norton Lorenz, a mathematician and meteorologist, who was one of the first proponents of Chaos Theory. Though he had been working on the theory for some ten years, with the principal question as to whether a seagulls’ wing movements changes the weather, he changed to the more poetic butterfly in 1973.

A speech he delivered was titled, “Does the Flap of a Butterfly’s Wings in Brazil Set off a Tornado in Texas.” Actually, fellow scientist, Philip Merilees created the title. Lorenz had failed to provide a title for his speech.

Please..

The butterfly will have zero impact on recruiting.

As for me using words like "never", "always", and "zero". I can do it because I don't post from emotion. But I see where you are coming from.

(And I thought you could use words like "never", "always", and "zero" just because you were not using a dang old black keybord with worn off white letters like mine).

I'll admit, I haven't seen you post from emotion for several days moments, but ...Where was I going with this again? Oh yeah..Since I'm still pretty bad at predicting the future, I can only suspect that the butterfly will have "Zero impact" nor even a proper "Butterfly Effect", but there's still a possibility that the sudden death or fluttering of wings of said Butterfly, may have inadvertantly caused one of the Tornadoes in Texas today, and could have injured a future potential Texas recruit..or at least had something to do with an avalanche in the Alps next winter where a visiting recruit's parents may be in harms way, also having an impact on said recruit's post high school plans.

Sorry..And the "Slow down" was just to lighten up the mood around here.

My emotions still tell me "the Visitors" are up to no good and even though they promise an end to disease, they plan to eat us after we join the Big Telfifteen..(and a half).

You guys all go ahead and welcome the Big-Ten all you want, but I still say they can't count guud and can't be trusted.

[ hint ]For those wanting to read ahead, I seem to remember knapplc and Vince having this same arguement last year in the shead, but I forget what they were pissing on each other about [ /hint ]

Bring popcorn :snacks:

37 User(s) are reading this topic

15 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users

37? ...my que to leave

Competition wise, it's still about the fourth or fifth toughest conference.

Lately. Again, too often people ignore the cyclical nature of college football, where each new recruiting class or each coaching change brings with it a potential to falter. The fact is that three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football history are from the Big 10 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State). This is a conference of teams with extremely stable bases. They are not immune to the fluctuations of victory and loss that all schools fall prey to, but they are less prone than most to stay down for long based on the huge fan bases, traditions and money they have.

Did you really think Nebraska would stay down very long when we sucked a few years ago? Of course not. You knew what kind of program we have, what kind of fan base we have, what kind of overwhelming support we have. You knew that we'd right the ship, most likely sooner rather than later.

Did you really think Oklahoma would stay down very long when they sucked after Switzer left?

Do you really think the football structures supporting the Big 10 schools will allow them to remain below the Pac-10 or the ACC? Really?

Yes really. Joining the Big 10 will have ZERO impact on NU's recruiting.

Zero impact? :laughpound:laughpound

We'd be getting most of our talent from the rust belt as opposed to Texas or in the case of PAC-12+4? the warmer climes of all year football out here.

It's true almost all teams go through cycles. But in addition to that, there's a large migration of people moving to Warmer climates and I don't see the Big-Televen area making a comeback other than the sacrificial lambs of OSU getting through unscathed only because the rest of the conference is too slow to get many of their players from the south...Or maybe because they're all having the same menstral cycle.

Sorry to be dragging my heels, but I've despised the Big-10 for so long..it's hard to do an about face with a smile just because there's money involved.

I feel like we're being forced into an aranged mariage with a really UGLY transvestite with a rich Dad and an ironclad pre-nup that doesn't allow us to play with any of our old friends anymore.

I didn't learn to hate our rivals yet...but at least I respected them.

Again - zero impact. Here let me point out the obvious and what will happen. NU will be so entrenched in TX that by the time NU makes the move the impact will be zero. Add the fact the kids we have from TX will continue to develop and help with recruiting the impact of th Big 10 move will be zero.

Before the Big 12 NU did better than really well in recruiting TX. To assume their recruiting success in TX will end because of a conference move is unarguably wrong.

I don't know aboiut "unarguable". Texas now gets all the best players, on the off chance OU doesn't. I think if your closest game to the state of Texas is in Columbia, Missouri, it would hurt TX recruiting. Not saying it will end or Armageddon will come, but that is the one thing that you do likely take a loss in going to the Big 10...

Haven't seen these posted yet, but here are articles from Shatel, McKewon, and Sipple, respectively, discussing the announcements and denials made today:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100510/SPORTS/705109822/-1#shatel-latest-big-ten-report-is-plausible

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2010/05/10/4be8aac3047cb

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2010/05/10/football/doc4be8c33a1712c450010935.txt

You'll notice those in Missouri don't take kindly to McKewon's article.