BIG NEWS

Competition wise, it's still about the fourth or fifth toughest conference.

Lately. Again, too often people ignore the cyclical nature of college football, where each new recruiting class or each coaching change brings with it a potential to falter. The fact is that three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football history are from the Big 10 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State). This is a conference of teams with extremely stable bases. They are not immune to the fluctuations of victory and loss that all schools fall prey to, but they are less prone than most to stay down for long based on the huge fan bases, traditions and money they have.

Did you really think Nebraska would stay down very long when we sucked a few years ago? Of course not. You knew what kind of program we have, what kind of fan base we have, what kind of overwhelming support we have. You knew that we'd right the ship, most likely sooner rather than later.

Did you really think Oklahoma would stay down very long when they sucked after Switzer left?

Do you really think the football structures supporting the Big 10 schools will allow them to remain below the Pac-10 or the ACC? Really?

Yes really. Joining the Big 10 will have ZERO impact on NU's recruiting.

Zero impact? :laughpound:laughpound

We'd be getting most of our talent from the rust belt as opposed to Texas or in the case of PAC-12+4? the warmer climes of all year football out here.

It's true almost all teams go through cycles. But in addition to that, there's a large migration of people moving to Warmer climates and I don't see the Big-Televen area making a comeback other than the sacrificial lambs of OSU getting through unscathed only because the rest of the conference is too slow to get many of their players from the south...Or maybe because they're all having the same menstral cycle.

Sorry to be dragging my heels, but I've despised the Big-10 for so long..it's hard to do an about face with a smile just because there's money involved.

I feel like we're being forced into an aranged mariage with a really UGLY transvestite with a rich Dad and an ironclad pre-nup that doesn't allow us to play with any of our old friends anymore.

I didn't learn to hate our rivals yet...but at least I respected them.

The yearly OU game is a done deal. We need to move on from that.

Jayhawk, I cannot imagine Missouri and Kansas not playing every year. I have to believe that if Mizzou moves on to the Big 10 that they'll try to find a way to play every year. I'd love to keep Kansas as a yearly game for the Huskers, too. You all are good people, good opponents.

How can you be so sure what T.O. would do as far as trying to schedule OU as an out of conference opponent every year to restore a rivalry? Just curious? I'd think there would be a push from boosters and fans to at least make an attempt to make that happen. Maybe you have more pull than we thought???

Given the fact that all of the Big 8 programs sided against T.O. and NU I would venture to say T.O. isn't too keen on rehashing much from the conference that turned their backs on him and NU.

I think that recruiting would cancel out. Before I was scared that we would lose a lot in Texas and the states down South but now im settled down. I think it helped us in the Northern states especially Ohio.

I think I read last year or the year before that Ohio was the fourth leading state for Div-1 talent, but if you could choose up sides, which would you rather have?

A group of Ohio all stars, or the second string of all stars from Texas, California, or Florida?

Lately. Again, too often people ignore the cyclical nature of college football, where each new recruiting class or each coaching change brings with it a potential to falter. The fact is that three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football history are from the Big 10 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State). This is a conference of teams with extremely stable bases. They are not immune to the fluctuations of victory and loss that all schools fall prey to, but they are less prone than most to stay down for long based on the huge fan bases, traditions and money they have.

Did you really think Nebraska would stay down very long when we sucked a few years ago? Of course not. You knew what kind of program we have, what kind of fan base we have, what kind of overwhelming support we have. You knew that we'd right the ship, most likely sooner rather than later.

Did you really think Oklahoma would stay down very long when they sucked after Switzer left?

Do you really think the football structures supporting the Big 10 schools will allow them to remain below the Pac-10 or the ACC? Really?

We'd be getting most of our talent from the rust belt as opposed to Texas or in the case of PAC-12+4? the warmer climes of all year football out here.

It's true almost all teams go through cycles. But in addition to that, there's a large migration of people moving to Warmer climates and I don't see the Big-Televen area making a comeback other than the sacrificial lambs of OSU getting through unscathed only because the rest of the conference is too slow to get many of their players from the south...Or maybe because they're all having the same menstral cycle.

Sorry to be dragging my heels, but I've despised the Big-10 for so long..it's hard to do an about face with a smile just because there's money involved.

I feel like we're being forced into an aranged mariage with a really UGLY transvestite with a rich Dad and an ironclad pre-nup that doesn't allow us to play with any of our old friends anymore.

What would stop us from getting Texas talent? it's not like Nebraska will be moving any further north, you're still going to be selling the same town. If a player doesn't want to live through winter then they wont come to Nebraska, big 12 or not.

The yearly OU game is a done deal. We need to move on from that.

Jayhawk, I cannot imagine Missouri and Kansas not playing every year. I have to believe that if Mizzou moves on to the Big 10 that they'll try to find a way to play every year. I'd love to keep Kansas as a yearly game for the Huskers, too. You all are good people, good opponents.

How can you be so sure what T.O. would do as far as trying to schedule OU as an out of conference opponent every year to restore a rivalry? Just curious? I'd think there would be a push from boosters and fans to at least make an attempt to make that happen. Maybe you have more pull than we thought???

Given the fact that all of the Big 8 programs sided against T.O. and NU I would venture to say T.O. isn't too keen on rehashing much from the conference that turned their backs on him and NU.

Maybe keeping KU on the OOC schedule would be a possibility. We've been playing them, well forever, and then there is the T.O. and Turner Gill connection.

You really can't talk that much sh#t on the big 10 after last year. They had Ohio state and Iowa win bcs bowl games, the big 12 had nobody...

By beating Oregon and Georgia Tech?

Impressive.

Everyone on this board was circle-jerking over Georgia tech all year...

What would stop us from getting Texas talent? it's not like Nebraska will be moving any further north, you're still going to be selling the same town. If a player doesn't want to live through winter then they wont come to Nebraska, big 12 or not.

We might still get the two or three we were getting in the Big-8 days, but not the same ballpark as we get now..We'd never play near their old backyards anymore unless we got into the Cotton Bowl or lucked out with an OOC game with SMU.

Again - zero impact. Here let me point out the obvious and what will happen. NU will be so entrenched in TX that by the time NU makes the move the impact will be zero. Add the fact the kids we have from TX will continue to develop and help with recruiting the impact of th Big 10 move will be zero.

Before the Big 12 NU did better than really well in recruiting TX. To assume their recruiting success in TX will end because of a conference move is unarguably wrong.

Nothing.

You really can't talk that much sh#t on the big 10 after last year. They had Ohio state and Iowa win bcs bowl games, the big 12 had nobody...

By beating Oregon and Georgia Tech?

Impressive.

Everyone on this board was circle-jerking over Georgia tech all year...

Everyone?

All Year?

I doubt that'd even be possible on a GaTech Board.

They were exposed before the ACC championship game as too one dimensional.