BIG NEWS

Vince has a point that's being overlooked because of his reputation. We recruit in New Jersey and don't play games against Big East opponents. We recruit out of California and we don't play against the Pac-10. We recruit out of Florida and we don't play in the SEC.

This argument that if we go to the Big 10 that our Texas recruiting will dry up has no basis. Show me a region of this country where NEBRASKA can't recruit and I'll show you a region that has never heard of football.

it seems like neither party is wrong. but i would like to remind everyone of OWA and why we did not get him. here will be many similar OWA's from Texas skipping out on NU because we are no longer in the Big XII, but that doesn't mean we won't stand a chance.

the simple fact is, it is going to be harder and harder to recruit everywhere. Texas kids that would have easily gone to NU if offered, now have to consider the likes of TCU, Houston, UTEP, schools that would have never entered the conversation ten years ago. the same goes for everywhere.

Haven't seen these posted yet, but here are articles from Shatel, McKewon, and Sipple, respectively, discussing the announcements and denials made today:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100510/SPORTS/705109822/-1#shatel-latest-big-ten-report-is-plausible

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2010/05/10/4be8aac3047cb

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2010/05/10/football/doc4be8c33a1712c450010935.txt

You'll notice those in Missouri don't take kindly to McKewon's article.

eh, McKewon's article is more fan-fiction than anything, but still kinda interesting.

Vince has a point that's being overlooked because of his reputation. We recruit in New Jersey and don't play games against Big East opponents. We recruit out of California and we don't play against the Pac-10. We recruit out of Florida and we don't play in the SEC.

This argument that if we go to the Big 10 that our Texas recruiting will dry up has no basis. Show me a region of this country where NEBRASKA can't recruit and I'll show you a region that has never heard of football.

it seems like neither party is wrong. but i would like to remind everyone of OWA and why we did not get him. here will be many similar OWA's from Texas skipping out on NU because we are no longer in the Big XII, but that doesn't mean we won't stand a chance.

the simple fact is, it is going to be harder and harder to recruit everywhere. Texas kids that would have easily gone to NU if offered, now have to consider the likes of TCU, Houston, UTEP, schools that would have never entered the conversation ten years ago. the same goes for everywhere.

Sorry.

I try to stay away from recruiting forums..Who is OWA and why did we not get him?

It depends on how much notice we want to give the Big 12. Assuming one year (that's the minimum), we could make the announcement on July 1, 2010, and start playing Big 10 conference games in Fall, 2011.

Im thinking its 2 or 3 years. But some of that could depend how longer the Big 12 wants us to be in the conference or how long the conference can stay a float. Assuming we see the domino effect, like what some are projecting to happen.

Nope, we only have to give one year's notice. We'll lose 90% of our Big 12 revenue that year, but we'll recoup it in the next two years with the Big 10. Same goes for Missouri.

Do we really only have to give a one year notice??? Doesnt the Big 12 have a right to kick us out. I remember thinking the Big East kicked out Boston College after the first year of their two year notice, but i could be wrong.

I could just about imagine Beebe's phone call to NU and Mizzou about that one...

Beebe: Uh guys? Just got back from my pedicure, and I heard something about you moving to the English Premier League or something?

NU/MU: Umm...isn't that soccer?

Beebe: Sure, uh, what do you think about a free Kia Rio for your garage if you stay? And I just heard about a good time share in the Bahamas. If I do it, and let you stay there this summer, want to be in the new Big 14? We're gonna add DeVry and Fort Hays State!

NU/MU: No thanks.

Beebe: Hang on a sec guys! I may have to boot you on this! Don't think that Chadron State isn't itching for their well deserved opportunity in the Big 12! I'm out of ideas, let me call DeLoss Dodds and I'll see what Texas and I, uh, I mean, the Big 12 can do here!

Competition wise, it's still about the fourth or fifth toughest conference.

Lately. Again, too often people ignore the cyclical nature of college football, where each new recruiting class or each coaching change brings with it a potential to falter. The fact is that three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football history are from the Big 10 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State). This is a conference of teams with extremely stable bases. They are not immune to the fluctuations of victory and loss that all schools fall prey to, but they are less prone than most to stay down for long based on the huge fan bases, traditions and money they have.

Did you really think Nebraska would stay down very long when we sucked a few years ago? Of course not. You knew what kind of program we have, what kind of fan base we have, what kind of overwhelming support we have. You knew that we'd right the ship, most likely sooner rather than later.

Did you really think Oklahoma would stay down very long when they sucked after Switzer left?

Do you really think the football structures supporting the Big 10 schools will allow them to remain below the Pac-10 or the ACC? Really?

Yes really. Joining the Big 10 will have ZERO impact on NU's recruiting.

Zero impact? :laughpound:laughpound

We'd be getting most of our talent from the rust belt as opposed to Texas or in the case of PAC-12+4? the warmer climes of all year football out here.

It's true almost all teams go through cycles. But in addition to that, there's a large migration of people moving to Warmer climates and I don't see the Big-Televen area making a comeback other than the sacrificial lambs of OSU getting through unscathed only because the rest of the conference is too slow to get many of their players from the south...Or maybe because they're all having the same menstral cycle.

Sorry to be dragging my heels, but I've despised the Big-10 for so long..it's hard to do an about face with a smile just because there's money involved.

I feel like we're being forced into an aranged mariage with a really UGLY transvestite with a rich Dad and an ironclad pre-nup that doesn't allow us to play with any of our old friends anymore.

I didn't learn to hate our rivals yet...but at least I respected them.

What would stop us from getting Texas talent? it's not like Nebraska will be moving any further north, you're still going to be selling the same town. If a player doesn't want to live through winter then they wont come to Nebraska, big 12 or not.

:thumbs

Competition wise, it's still about the fourth or fifth toughest conference.

Lately. Again, too often people ignore the cyclical nature of college football, where each new recruiting class or each coaching change brings with it a potential to falter. The fact is that three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football history are from the Big 10 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State). This is a conference of teams with extremely stable bases. They are not immune to the fluctuations of victory and loss that all schools fall prey to, but they are less prone than most to stay down for long based on the huge fan bases, traditions and money they have.

Did you really think Nebraska would stay down very long when we sucked a few years ago? Of course not. You knew what kind of program we have, what kind of fan base we have, what kind of overwhelming support we have. You knew that we'd right the ship, most likely sooner rather than later.

Did you really think Oklahoma would stay down very long when they sucked after Switzer left?

Do you really think the football structures supporting the Big 10 schools will allow them to remain below the Pac-10 or the ACC? Really?

Yes really. Joining the Big 10 will have ZERO impact on NU's recruiting.

Zero impact? :laughpound:laughpound

We'd be getting most of our talent from the rust belt as opposed to Texas or in the case of PAC-12+4? the warmer climes of all year football out here.

It's true almost all teams go through cycles. But in addition to that, there's a large migration of people moving to Warmer climates and I don't see the Big-Televen area making a comeback other than the sacrificial lambs of OSU getting through unscathed only because the rest of the conference is too slow to get many of their players from the south...Or maybe because they're all having the same menstral cycle.

Sorry to be dragging my heels, but I've despised the Big-10 for so long..it's hard to do an about face with a smile just because there's money involved.

I feel like we're being forced into an aranged mariage with a really UGLY transvestite with a rich Dad and an ironclad pre-nup that doesn't allow us to play with any of our old friends anymore.

I didn't learn to hate our rivals yet...but at least I respected them.

What would stop us from getting Texas talent? it's not like Nebraska will be moving any further north, you're still going to be selling the same town. If a player doesn't want to live through winter then they wont come to Nebraska, big 12 or not.

:thumbs

The Home games would (hopefully) still be in Lincoln.

It's the away games that would change..Having friends/family there in person is a lot more better than having them watch you on TV or on tape after they get back home.

Again..I'm not saying it will be the only factor in where a recruit goes, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought it did not have an effect.

Sorry.

I try to stay away from recruiting forums..Who is OWA and why did we not get him?

no prob. owa was the top defensive back from portland oregon (home of one SUH). he was heavily recruited by Oregon St., NU, and UCLA. a lot of people believed he would go to NU, i mean NU put a defensive back into the heisman race right, how could you not go to UNL? well, he went to UCLA, why? because he is a momma's boy who wanted to say 'close', ie in the pac 10. well that is just the nature of the game. my point was that we will always lose recruits for whatever reason, but if we are competitive, we will stay fine with recruiting. it is not just about recruiting. BO can take 3 star recruits and make them 5 star players. look at o'hanlon. this argument is moot, who cares, we'll be fine either way if we keep winning.

I would guess that no matter how many teams possibly get added, the BigTen will remain the "Big Ten." I don't know how recruiting will be affected, but wouldn't the general student population be held to a higher standard? Do most in-state kids still get accepted to NU? That might change as more out-of-state kids with better grades and test scores come for our improved programs. I would think that walk-ons would need to meet any new admission requirements, if not the scholarship athletes. UNO may stand to benefit from our possible Big 10 move. :worship

Sorry.

no prob. owa was the top defensive back from portland oregon (home of one SUH). he was heavily recruited by Oregon St., NU, and UCLA. a lot of people believed he would go to NU, i mean NU put a defensive back into the heisman race right, how could you not go to UNL? well, he went to UCLA, why? because he is a momma's boy who wanted to say 'close', ie in the pac 10. well that is just the nature of the game. my point was that we will always lose recruits for whatever reason, but if we are competitive, we will stay fine with recruiting. it is not just about recruiting. BO can take 3 star recruits and make them 5 star players. look at o'hanlon. this argument is moot, who cares, we'll be fine either way if we keep winning.

Thanks..I thought that might be who you were talking about...Except I doubt Suh would play much DB.and If I remembered right, the kid from Oregon was a DE.

I'm not (probably) as much concerned about trading guys with West Texas accents for guys with Pensylvania or Ohio work ethics..But I did learn to really hate that Every Saturday out here anyway (AZ) I was forced to watch B-11 games while listening to Nebraska on the Radio.

The B-11 games put me to sleep..Not because of the Unforms weren't ours..but because of the players playing.

Sorry.

Thanks..I thought that might be who you were talking about...Except I doubt Suh would play much DB.and If I remembered right, the kid from Oregon was a DE.

I'm not (probably) as much concerned about trading guys with West Texas accents for guys with Pensylvania or Ohio work ethics..But I did learn to really hate that Every Saturday out here anyway (AZ) I was forced to watch B-11 games while listening to Nebraska on the Radio.

The games put me to sleep..Not because of the Unforms weren't ours..but because of the players playing.

you are right, i am drunk. but my point stands. it will hurt us in texas, but not by much, maybe not even noticeable. maybe not at all. but being in a conference helps recruiting. UNL is be smallest BCS team to win a championship. we did it before, we'll do it again.

Hey I'm not saying that our recruiting will dry up. Do I think it could have a small impact on recruiting, possibly. The point of my post isn't to dispute the weather or not our recruiting will be impacted. The point of my post is in regards to the fact that many of the posts I have read from Vince have to include him dismissing anyone else's opinion if it differs from his own. As you can see I have been a member since 06 and dont post a whole lot. I am on this board almost daily and for the most part just read what others have to say. It does get old however to constantly listen to this guy and his cocky attitude that nobody else could possibly be right in their opinion if isnt the same as his.

And another thing.... Vince since you seem to be the great almighty, if you'd like to join me in the woodshed I would be happy to voice my opinion of you in a place where I wont get banned for it!

Lighten up Francis. You'll lose there as would and have any place else.

I will dismiss any and every incorrect post(s) whenever I read it/ them. Why wouldn't I? You actually expect me to agree or give credence to the wrong? Not gonna happen pally!!!!

First off Junior, Im far from your pally. Second of all I didnt say dismiss anything. However, for you to write somone else off as wrong is what is truly "wrong". So now you are saying that you can predict the future and you have proof to back up YOUR opinion? Has the future already happened for you to be able to back your opinion up with facts? No I dont think it has happened now has it. So once again your statements are nothing more than just YOUR opinion!!! You see where Im going with this genius??? You have no way of knowing the direct impact on recruiting that switching to the big 10 will have in the state of Texas, therefore your statement is nothing more than YOUR opinion!!!

Also, if you think im scared of meeting up with you in the Woodshed for fear of loosing to you, you have another think coming. Just as you have backed down on joining me to discuss our differences once before you turn down the invitation once again. Tell ya what.... when your "nuts" (fixed it) drop come and find me and we can settle this in the woodshed if you like!

I would guess that no matter how many teams possibly get added, the BigTen will remain the "Big Ten." I don't know how recruiting will be affected, but wouldn't the general student population be held to a higher standard? Do most in-state kids still get accepted to NU? That might change as more out-of-state kids with better grades and test scores come for our improved programs. I would think that walk-ons would need to meet any new admission requirements, if not the scholarship athletes. UNO may stand to benefit from our possible Big 10 move. :worship

Would that mean we could get Professors or maybe even TA's that speak Engrish?

So ran accross this today and found it very intersting, HI.com was running the audio for the interview with Joe Schad if you have a subscription. I thought the bolded was very "smoking gun".

This is from university spokesperson Meg Lauerman

"We recognize the intense speculation about conference realignment and the possible impact it may have on Nebraska. Both Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne have indicated that the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university. The University of Nebraska has not been offered any opportunity to move from the Big 12. We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference. Until the Big 10 Conference makes and announces its decision on expansion, the University of Nebraska will have no further comment and we do not intend to continue to respond further to questions or speculations on this subject."

College Football Live is reporting that four schools have been officially offered to join the Big 10....Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame and Rutgers...this according to Joe Schad via ESPN radio 810 in KC, MO. The timeline is 12-18 months with a possible vote at the Big 10 meetings in June in Chi-Town.

So ran accross this today and found it very intersting, HI.com was running the audio for the interview with Joe Schad if you have a subscription. I thought the bolded was very "smoking gun".

This is from university spokesperson Meg Lauerman

"We recognize the intense speculation about conference realignment and the possible impact it may have on Nebraska. Both Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne have indicated that the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university. The University of Nebraska has not been offered any opportunity to move from the Big 12. We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference. Until the Big 10 Conference makes and announces its decision on expansion, the University of Nebraska will have no further comment and we do not intend to continue to respond further to questions or speculations on this subject."

College Football Live is reporting that four schools have been officially offered to join the Big 10....Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame and Rutgers...this according to Joe Schad via ESPN radio 810 in KC, MO. The timeline is 12-18 months with a possible vote at the Big 10 meetings in June in Chi-Town.

This has all been discussed ad nauseam today.

Pretty much. I'm dumber than a box of hammers and I got into UNL. I even passed a couple of courses. But yeah, our academic initial-entry standards would likely change some, which is probably the biggest single factor most likely to affect our recruiting.