BIG NEWS

i say we bring kansas with us.

:yeah

KU would boost the basketball image for the conference along with Syracuse.

Being a KU grad, I would love this but like huskernation0201 said, KU and KSU are a package deal. You can't have 1 without the other.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the case, but my comment wasn't concerned with KSU since I was merely pointing out that KU would boost the conference's overall basketball image.

Big Ten quashes latest expansion rumors

By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer Rusty Miller, Ap Sports Writer – Tue May 11, 7:02 pm ETCOLUMBUS, Ohio – Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany e-mailed conference officials Tuesday to stamp out a rumor that four schools had already been offered a chance to join the league.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith confirmed Tuesday that Delany had quashed a report that the Big Ten had offered expansion spots to Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Rutgers.

Asked if there was anything to that speculation, Smith said, "Nothing. There's no truth to it whatsoever. Actually, Jim sent us all an e-mail telling us there's no truth to that — which we knew. There's no extensions of offers that have been made, so that's not true."

The conference is looking at expanding from its current 11 members so that it can extend the reach of its lucrative cable network and add a league championship game in football.

The Big Ten athletic directors will meet May 17-19 in downtown Chicago. They will be joined by faculty representatives, senior women's administrators and the head coaches in football and men's and women's basketball. But Smith said the meetings were routine and nothing would be decided in terms of expansion.

"This is our normal meetings, the ones we have every year," Smith said. "Jim (Delany) will probably give us an update on what the consultant has shared, and I don't even know if the consultant report is done. He'll give us an update and then move on doing what he's been doing. I think they meet with the (university) presidents in June or something like that. So the timeline hasn't changed, but there won't be any action next week."

Note that no one denied that offers would be made - just that they haven't been as of now.

No official offers.... That is different from asking what the answer would be were on to be made.... Doesn't matter, Mizzou is gone, you guys probably too. All the people are saying all the right things...

Possibly.

Also, who is this consultant, what is he doing, what will his report say? That NU, MU, RU, and ND would apply if looked on favorably by the Big 10? Or is this just a normal function of the Big 10 meeting?

Big Ten quashes latest expansion rumors

By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer Rusty Miller, Ap Sports Writer – Tue May 11, 7:02 pm ETCOLUMBUS, Ohio – Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany e-mailed conference officials Tuesday to stamp out a rumor that four schools had already been offered a chance to join the league.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith confirmed Tuesday that Delany had quashed a report that the Big Ten had offered expansion spots to Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Rutgers.

Asked if there was anything to that speculation, Smith said, "Nothing. There's no truth to it whatsoever. Actually, Jim sent us all an e-mail telling us there's no truth to that — which we knew. There's no extensions of offers that have been made, so that's not true."

The conference is looking at expanding from its current 11 members so that it can extend the reach of its lucrative cable network and add a league championship game in football.

The Big Ten athletic directors will meet May 17-19 in downtown Chicago. They will be joined by faculty representatives, senior women's administrators and the head coaches in football and men's and women's basketball. But Smith said the meetings were routine and nothing would be decided in terms of expansion.

"This is our normal meetings, the ones we have every year," Smith said. "Jim (Delany) will probably give us an update on what the consultant has shared, and I don't even know if the consultant report is done. He'll give us an update and then move on doing what he's been doing. I think they meet with the (university) presidents in June or something like that. So the timeline hasn't changed, but there won't be any action next week."

Note that no one denied that offers would be made - just that they haven't been as of now.

No official offers.... That is different from asking what the answer would be were on to be made.... Doesn't matter, Mizzou is gone, you guys probably too. All the people are saying all the right things...

Possibly.

Also, who is this consultant, what is he doing, what will his report say? That NU, MU, RU, and ND would apply if looked on favorably by the Big 10? Or is this just a normal function of the Big 10 meeting?

A couple months ago the Big Ten hired a consulting firm. You can read that article here.

Someone over on the Hawk boards dug up the expansion process from when Michigan State joined in the 50s and Penn State joined in the 90s. Basically what it comes down to is the Big 10 doesn't "invite" a school but the school applies to join. So what this potentially means is that everyone is telling the truth that there have not been any offers extended and they have not been invited to join - but they very well might have been told fill out the application so the Big 10 presidents can approve your application at their meetings in early June. Once an application has been submitted and approved, THEN an official invitation to join is extended.

In the past there has been a long evaluation period AFTER the school has applied to join but I would guess that this time the evaluation period was done first so that the Big 10 would know who to have submit applications. Both Michigan State and Penn State submitted applications on their own to start the process in the last 2 expansions.

As a side note both Michigan State and Penn State joined the conference effective immidiately for academics when they joined and it was 3 years later when their althletics started to compete as part of the conference.

Someone over on the Hawk boards dug up the expansion process from when Michigan State joined in the 50s and Penn State joined in the 90s. Basically what it comes down to is the Big 10 doesn't "invite" a school but the school applies to join. So what this potentially means is that everyone is telling the truth that there have not been any offers extended and they have not been invited to join - but they very well might have been told fill out the application so the Big 10 presidents can approve your application at their meetings in early June. Once an application has been submitted and approved, THEN an official invitation to join is extended.

In the past there has been a long evaluation period AFTER the school has applied to join but I would guess that this time the evaluation period was done first so that the Big 10 would know who to have submit applications. Both Michigan State and Penn State submitted applications on their own to start the process in the last 2 expansions.

As a side note both Michigan State and Penn State joined the conference effective immidiately for academics when they joined and it was 3 years later when their althletics started to compete as part of the conference.

Good point, and it makes you wonder why nobody in the press covering Nebraska and/or Missouri thought to ask if we had applied. That's very interesting.

Interesting. It makes sense all around.

Being a KU grad, I would love this but like huskernation0201 said, KU and KSU are a package deal. You can't have 1 without the other.

I do not concur, with all due respect. If KUI got a chance to go to the BIG 10 and bring in $15 Million morein TV money, and the alternative was the unknown or a potential big downgrade, I think they would go...

I do not concur, with all due respect. If KUI got a chance to go to the BIG 10 and bring in $15 Million morein TV money, and the alternative was the unknown or a potential big downgrade, I think they would go...

The problem might be state law. Someone posted on frankthetank blog an excerpt from Kansas law(or statute or something) that ever since they both were in the Big 8 they are required to stay in the same conference. That may not be true - but the person actually posted a link to the law/statute that I didn't bother to go read. Yes if you post something and put a link there I will likely just believe what you posted without bothering to click the link so let the hijinks begin!

Big 12 Commissioner on BTL

Earlier this week, Sports Radio 810 WHB’s Kevin Kietzman reported the Big Ten had made initial offers to several schools to join their conference. Two of the schools in the report were the Big 12’s Missouri and Nebraska. The report set of a barrage of activity across the sports world about the Big Ten’s pending expansion.

There were plenty of folks doubting whether or not contact has been made with potential candidates. On Wednesday, Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe was a guest on Between the Lines with Kevin Kietzman. He was asked about his thoughts on the flirtations with the Big Ten.

“I think the Big Ten, that either through the Conference or its members,” Mr. Beebe said, “have probably been in communication with others in the country that they have an interest with, just to send out feelers and get responses back.”

Last month at the BCS meetings in Arizona, the Big 12’s boss seemed a little more trusting about the process. Here’s what Commissioner Bebee said about the situation back in April:

"I expect that Jim, who I have known for many, many years and trust implicitly, that he'll do what he said he's going to do," Beebe said. "If and when the time comes that they're going to do anything — and if that includes any of the institutions in the Big 12 — he'll let me know first."

Today’s comments from Mr. Beebe on Between the Lines seem a little more aggressive and protective:

“I’ve talked directly with (Big Ten commissioner) Jim (Delaney),” Mr. Beebe said. “I understand what he’s doing where’s he’s coming from. Maybe I would do it similarly if I were in his situation, maybe I wouldn’t. But I’m going to protect our interests. We need to move forward and have a direction people need to buy into and move forward.”

Part of having schools buy-in means finding out exactly where these institutions stand on moving in or out.

“We need to come to terms with that. We’re going to head into our meetings in Kansas City and I think we need to have a very frank conversation about where we’re going and who’s going to be on the plane when we take off.” Mr. Beebe said. “I will be very direct and talk about that with our membership and want to find out. It would be a shame, given that all boats have risen with this tide that’s been created in the Big 12, for anybody to think they’re going to have a better future somewhere else.”

Listen to the full interview at http://www.810whb.com/podcasts

I was against Nebraska leaving for the Big 11 but the more Mr Beebe spouts off the more I'm all for it.

I was against Nebraska leaving for the Big 11 but the more Mr Beebe spouts off the more I'm all for it.

No kidding, sounds like he wants to slap some hands, how about offering a carrot or two instead? If it's strictly about money, the Big 10 has a lot more to offer. If it's about other things, well, both Missouri and Nebraska have some beefs about how a few things have gone.

The problem might be state law. Someone posted on frankthetank blog an excerpt from Kansas law(or statute or something) that ever since they both were in the Big 8 they are required to stay in the same conference. That may not be true - but the person actually posted a link to the law/statute that I didn't bother to go read. Yes if you post something and put a link there I will likely just believe what you posted without bothering to click the link so let the hijinks begin!

yeah I can't find prof to it but I'm hearing it all over the place so it's probably true. It would take an act by the governor to change it and that would be political suicide. However Kansas does have a lieutenant gov. in power since sebelius left to join Obama's staff. Maybe he'll do.

No kidding, sounds like he wants to slap some hands, how about offering a carrot or two instead? If it's strictly about money, the Big 10 has a lot more to offer. If it's about other things, well, both Missouri and Nebraska have some beefs about how a few things have gone.

If this stuff from Beebe is a threat it's pretty empty...I'm sure there are provisions in the contract that make it difficult to kick a team out of the conference and what could he possibly do to us? We don't have anything that hasn't been taken away already.

This just in: T. Boone Pickens thinks Okie Lite should stay in the Big 12!!! :lol: Was anybody really concerned they were going anywhere? Here's what Ivan Maisel had to say about it:

3. Speaking of which, Oklahoma State uber-booster Boone Pickens opined Wednesday that he doesn’t believe the Cowboys should leave the Big 12 for another conference. That’s interesting, because Oklahoma State’s name hasn’t come up very often, if at all, in expansion talk. In other news, one of the guys who’s not Bono or The Edge announced he’s staying in U2.

ESPN Link

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine says she saw Osborne board a plane to Lincoln from Chicago. Wasn't clear if it was yesterday or today. The Chicago area is the Big 10 conference HQ. Now, there's any number of other reasons Osborne could've been there. He might well have been elsewhere and connecting in Chicago. He could've been in Chicago for some other reason. So I make no claim this means something, but it is a fact that he was on a Chicago-Lincoln flight this week.

A friend of mine says she saw Osborne board a plane to Lincoln from Chicago. Wasn't clear if it was yesterday or today. The Chicago area is the Big 10 conference HQ. Now, there's any number of other reasons Osborne could've been there. He might well have been elsewhere and connecting in Chicago. He could've been in Chicago for some other reason. So I make no claim this means something, but it is a fact that he was on a Chicago-Lincoln flight this week.

You sure you didn't get this from some salt water aquarium guy?