Will Nebraska hold their weight in the Big 10

I think a lot of it depends on where the coaches go or what happens in the Big 10 coaching wise. The only team from the Big 10 that has a chance against the SEC schools in the near future is Ohio State. Tressel figured out he needed a change in philosophy offensively to succeed.

What philosophy did he change on the offensive side of the ball?

He changed from having a slow tree trunk back there at QB to a fast mobile QB.

Not fully true. OSU has had good success with both 'fast' 'mobile' QBs and slow ones.

Since Tress came on, OSU has had 6 QBs - Bellasari (2001), Krenzel (2001-2003), Zwick (2004), Smith (2004-2006), Boeckman (2007-2008) and Pryor (2008-Current).

Of those, he won an NC with the slow tree trunk QB in Krenzel. Smith and Pryor are your typical dual-threat QBs (which he's done good with), but don't forget that the guy in the middle - Boeckman was in between your slow tree trunk QB and someone that could run a little, ala Roethlisberger...Albeit in a guy that regressed as his seasons went on. He took OSU to an NC with him as well, and did much better vs. LSU with him than with Smith against Florida in that NC.

How quickly the 2008 bowls for the big10 were forgotten....a combined 1-6. 3 of those losses were against big12 teams.

But again, college football is cyclical. Teams rise and fall by varying degrees based on incoming and graduating players, and even minor differences can spell the difference between 10-2 and 8-4.

Just because the Big 10 has been "down" recently doesn't mean they'll always be down, nor does it mean they'll be down long. I would bet money they'll be better as a conference sooner rather than later.

People don’t really think that the SEC will always be the power conference in college football, do they?

You mean outside of the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky????

He changed from having a slow tree trunk back there at QB to a fast mobile QB.

Not fully true. OSU has had good success with both 'fast' 'mobile' QBs and slow ones.

Since Tress came on, OSU has had 6 QBs - Bellasari (2001), Krenzel (2001-2003), Zwick (2004), Smith (2004-2006), Boeckman (2007-2008) and Pryor (2008-Current).

Of those, he won an NC with the slow tree trunk QB in Krenzel. Smith and Pryor are your typical dual-threat QBs (which he's done good with), but don't forget that the guy in the middle - Boeckman was in between your slow tree trunk QB and someone that could run a little, ala Roethlisberger...Albeit in a guy that regressed as his seasons went on. He took OSU to an NC with him as well, and did much better vs. LSU with him than with Smith against Florida in that NC.

Smith is a midget. When Tressel landed Pryor, he had visions of Vince Young rather than Smith. I think he's gonna open the playbook up this year and let Pryor do what he does best. Athletically, Pryor is hands down more gifted than those before him.

My biggest fear, is that we will become THEM more than that they will become US.

That's a really good point, 37, but I think we're a lot different than Texas. Still, it remains to be seen what happens when Osborne retires and who the next AD is. That's a situation fraught with disaster, if you ask me.

Maybe, like you said it depends on who you hire. We could end up in another Steve Pederson situation.. or we could get someone really great that takes Nebraska athletics to even higher heights than they are now - ie.. baseball and basketball.

I for one believe our next AD is going to either be

1. Trev Alberts who is doing a great job thus far at UNO. If he could come in and do to NU's baseball and Basketball programs what he's currently doing for UNO Hockey it would be a MAJOR improvement, plus he knows football and is getting great on the job training at a smaller school and could be tailor made for the NU AD job in a couple years.

or

2. Dave Rimmington who is also doing an excellent job in his current position as president of the Boomer Essiason Foundation. He knows how to get funding for projects, and his people management and leadership skills are top notch.

Either of those guys would be great hires and with their skill-sets and experiance I don't forsee either being detrimental hires. We could go after other top tier current AD or Assistant AD's from other universities, go to other people in other non sports enterprises or just hire from within the current AD Department (ie. Boheim) but those are all higher risk than the top two options in my opinion.

If we get either Alberts or Rimmington to take the job I don't see any cause for concern going forward, if we end up with any other candidate the risk increases exponentially.