Will Nebraska hold their weight in the Big 10

Are you guys fine with losing rivalries with Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado in favor of The Michigans, eastOSU, and Indiana U?

The only one we would miss would be Oklahoma, but that series has been destroyed by the Big XII's creation, so whatever. I'm sure over time we'd develop new rivals.

I remember foolishly thinking about how adding a few Texas teams would maybe add some much needed depth to our Big-8 conference..But not have much of an impact on our shared Dominance with Oklahoma over the rest of the conference.

It irks me to no end that we let Texas get the best of us and we probably never get the chance to even up the score..But they never really seemed to BEAT us..just somehow scored a point or three more in pretty much every game.

I guess even I underestimated the importance of keeping our coaching staff in place..This place is really harder to coach in and attract talent to than we gave Osborne credit for.

As much as I've enjoyed putting the Big-Televen down over the years, There remains the nagging question that maybe we won't match up against their strengths as well as we've grown accustomed to playing them OOC...At least not until we start recruiting/scheming for a totally different set of yearly opponents.

I guess I also look at it this way:

If we had to join a conference, who would you least like to see our team "look like"?

I think the overall perceptions have been that the B-11 has had the most boring teams to watch..and not just because of the slow "team speed", but because of the unimaginative play calling (both Offense and Defense).

My biggest fear, is that we will become THEM (Big-11) more than that they will become US.

• Fire 2
My biggest fear, is that we will become THEM more than that they will become US.

That's a really good point, 37, but I think we're a lot different than Texas. Still, it remains to be seen what happens when Osborne retires and who the next AD is. That's a situation fraught with disaster, if you ask me.

Big Ten Speed.... :facepalm:

:laughpound:laughpound

JUMBO shrimp?

Naval intelligence?

K-Y jelly?

"Team speed" is a huge joke anymore. I don't see how a guy that is recruited by FLA or LSU somehow becomes slower when they go to a school in the Big 10 or anywhere North of the SEC (thanks media). Somehow OSU went from being big and slow to a fast defensive team in the Rose Bowl. Also don't lump that Texas game into the team speed category. A safety playing out of position lost the game for the Buckeyes. Left that guy wide open and it made for an easy pass from Colt. FLA and LSU were overall better teams when they play OSU in the NC games. OSU had no business playing in the NC vs LSU.

Everybody knows you're much slower durring the Winter months.

Before moving to Arizona, I had the muscle twitch of a glacier in February.

My biggest fear, is that we will become THEM (Big-11) more than that they will become US.

i highly doubt that either pelini brother will be asking kevin cosgrove for defensive tips.

TRUE..unless that's what they WANT us to think..HA!

(and do the opposite of what Cos advises)

But we will be recruiting from their same pool of athletes (in addition to our normal waters, to a probable much lesser extent)..

And the Amazing Pelinis will probably have to adjust their schemes to our new step-siblings to the point of resembling them.

• Fire 1

Hi,

New poster to HB.com. I'm a B10 fan from Ohio, that registered here to see how Nebraska fans are viewing the notion of joining the B10. I hope it happens, because we need a top-tier program like Nebraska to give our good teams (Iowa, Wiscy, OSU, PennSt and when they feel like it, Michigan) a great run for their money, and show the stupidity of some programs now and again.

I'm sorry that there was a B10 fan that had to mention 'B10 speed' or do some sort of stupid conference chest-beating. Most B10 fans are down to earth, reasonable people...Just like Nebraska fans.

I believe that as long as Nebraska keeps Pelini, and continues to grow their program, they will more than hold their weight in the B10. If there is a western division with Neb, Wiscy, Iowa, Mizzou (if they join), and a few inferior programs (Minny, IU, NW, Purdue), I would imagine that Nebraska should be in the championship about every other year.

As for changing schemes to match the B10 - I don't think you'd really need to change a lot. Yes, the B12 uses more spread formations as of late, between Texas, Oklahoma, Ok. St, and TT, but I don't think that many changes would have to be made. A great defense is a great defense, regardless of conference. Offensively, you'll find that a lot of teams to use spread formations. Remember the OSU-Michigan game in 2006? Both teams loaded up the shotgun for the entire game. It may not be every down, but most teams have a reasonably flexible offensive scheme - sans Wisconsin which still has that old poddering style of power football.

If Neb makes the switch, I think you'll find that the B10 is a pretty nice conference in comparison to the B12. Talent wise, I think they are about the same (although the Neb may be in a slightly weaker divison if you didn't have a Michigan, Penn State or OSU in your 8-team division), but the biggest thing, IMO, would be that you are going to find fans with a lot of Mid-West pride.

nebraska and missouri in the big 10 would be like releasing a pair of rabid wolves in a hen house. to say that they initially destroy their competition would be an understatement.

figure who would be in our division if it comes to that? iowa? illinois or northwestern? minnesota or wisconsin? does anyone really fear anyone of these guys? i'd stack up sec teams against missouri or nebraska before i'd consider anyone other than tOSU or mechicken and maybe that little state school from pennsylvania.

You do realize that Missouri just played Northwestern the other year in the Alamo Bowl when Chase Daniels was a senior (one of their better years of the decade) and they went into overtime. You also severely underestimate Iowa and Wisconsin. I'm not going to agree with that Iowa fan and say that the Big Ten is fast (though they are a lot faster than they are given credit for) but to think that both teams would just walk in and make a BCS game every year would be very naive. I see Missouri being a middle of the pack team in the Big Ten, and Nebraska being usually somewhere in the top 5 (out of 16; that's better than it sounds).

nebraska and missouri in the big 10 would be like releasing a pair of rabid wolves in a hen house. to say that they initially destroy their competition would be an understatement.

figure who would be in our division if it comes to that? iowa? illinois or northwestern? minnesota or wisconsin? does anyone really fear anyone of these guys? i'd stack up sec teams against missouri or nebraska before i'd consider anyone other than tOSU or mechicken and maybe that little state school from pennsylvania.

You do realize that Missouri just played Northwestern the other year in the Alamo Bowl when Chase Daniels was a senior (one of their better years of the decade) and they went into overtime. You also severely underestimate Iowa and Wisconsin. I'm not going to agree with that Iowa fan and say that the Big Ten is fast (though they are a lot faster than they are given credit for) but to think that both teams would just walk in and make a BCS game every year would be very naive. I see Missouri being a middle of the pack team in the Big Ten, and Nebraska being usually somewhere in the top 5 (out of 16; that's better than it sounds).

Hey MStateu4evr! We will be glad to share a conference with you and even our board, but you just pasted your last post over the top of mine and made it disappear. It had a hilarious Dave Chappelle scene atached to it. Now mind your manners, so THIS doesn't happen to you.

J/K Edit: Just making sure you realize the J/K means just kidding. It was the mods who pulled my post.You didn't sit on it.

Edited by Captain K

I'd have to agree. I can't see Mizzou coming in being anything besides middle of the pack. Even in their best year, they were no better than third in the Big 12.

I beg to differ. I am not a Missouri fan, but I respect their program. In 2007 and 2008, they were Big 12 North champs. If they had beaten Nebraska in 2009, they would have been B12 North champs again, but they pissed the game away in the fourth quarter. I'm just saying that, sometimes, we Husker fans can get pretty arrogant. We finally had a decent year and then we bad-mouth our competition. Missouri has recruited well; and, if they go to the B10 with us, I see them as a strong competitor - year in and year out. If our division consists of Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin or Illinois, we will have some tough competition. Teams have up and down years, but I think that Nebraska doesn't have a cakewalk no matter how your arrange divisions in the speculative "Big 16".

i think as husker fans we have forgotten the great pinkle-factor...the great reason that all the success of missouri does nothing but go down the drain...haha :cop:

Hah! I keep waiting for that to rear its ugly head once again. I can't believe that he's suddenly become a perfect coach. I think he'll screw himself once again this year. I hope it's up here in Lincoln, too.