Will Nebraska hold their weight in the Big 10

Last night while I was working at my second job I ran into a new associate who is an Iowa fan. I stopped what I was doing and we started talking and I asked his opinion about what he thought if Nebraska joined the Big 10. He told me that he hates to admite it but Nebraska is getting really good and scary good but than said that Nebraska might not handle the speed that is in the Big 10. I told him that I begged to differ because nobody gave Nebraska a chance against Clemson with their speed but we held our ground and won that game. We both agreed that Bo has turned this program around and I told him that while Bo Pelini is our coach we'll be able to play anybody in the country and compete with them.

What are you thoughts? If Nebraska does join the Big 10, do you think that we can hold our weight and compete with them?

The Big 10 has a reputation of being a slower conference. That's why Cosgrove's defensive schemes, which he developed at Wisconsin, didn't work in the Big 12. He wanted his guys "big and strong," with little emphasis on speed. One of the first things Bo did when he came here was have Papuchis work on the explosiveness on both sides of the ball.

In 2008 when RichRod took over in Ann Arbor one of the first things he said was that they needed to increase team speed across the board.

Ohio State got beat in three of their last four bowl games by Texas, LSU and Florida, and in each loss team speed was cited as a reason. Sweater Vest has made increasing team speed a priority since getting trounced by Florida in 2006.

Overall the Big 10 is not a "speed" conference. The Big 12, with its spread offenses, has been working hard to improve overall team speed, and in general it's shown.

I doubt Nebraska has any trouble with the speed of the Big 10. None at all, actually.

• Fire 2

Big Ten Speed.... :facepalm:

My sentiments exactly.

Also, Knapplc hit it on the head. The Big 10 is absolutely not known for it's speed. In fact, over the last few years, the Big 10 has been looked at as one of the weakest power conferences based on bowl performances against other conferences in big games.

Is your coworker serious!!!??? The big10 has always been slower than any other major conference as a whole. This is a fact. If you want to know how we would do, just compare our record against the Big10 in the last 25 years. We are 12-2 against the big10 since 1985. Two of those wins were against mighty Iowa. I personally want to see Nebraska in the big10.

Big Ten Speed.... :facepalm:

My sentiments exactly.

Also, Knapplc hit it on the head. The Big 10 is absolutely not known for it's speed. In fact, over the last few years, the Big 10 has been looked at as one of the weakest power conferences based on bowl performances against other conferences in big games.

And I concur...Nebraska will have NO problem competing in the Big 10, schools like Michigan better be concerned if we come over there, because we could turn their stadium red.

"Team speed" is a huge joke anymore. I don't see how a guy that is recruited by FLA or LSU somehow becomes slower when they go to a school in the Big 10 or anywhere North of the SEC (thanks media). Somehow OSU went from being big and slow to a fast defensive team in the Rose Bowl. Also don't lump that Texas game into the team speed category. A safety playing out of position lost the game for the Buckeyes. Left that guy wide open and it made for an easy pass from Colt. FLA and LSU were overall better teams when they play OSU in the NC games. OSU had no business playing in the NC vs LSU.

"Team speed" is a huge joke anymore. I don't see how a guy that is recruited by FLA or LSU somehow becomes slower when they go to a school in the Big 10 or anywhere North of the SEC (thanks media). Somehow OSU went from being big and slow to a fast defensive team in the Rose Bowl. Also don't lump that Texas game into the team speed category. A safety playing out of position lost the game for the Buckeyes. Left that guy wide open and it made for an easy pass from Colt. FLA and LSU were overall better teams when they play OSU in the NC games. OSU had no business playing in the NC vs LSU.

It's possible my 20 seconds of research may not have caught the best examples. mea culpa :)

Jaws, nobody is saying that big10 teams do not have their fair share of speedy players. What we are commenting on is their schemes are more power based than speed based. You could argue that Nebraska was very much like a big10 team prior to 1993.

Jaws, nobody is saying that big10 teams do not have their fair share of speedy players. What we are commenting on is their schemes are more power based than speed based. You could argue that Nebraska was very much like a big10 team prior to 1993.

I understand schemes....however, when "team speed" is brought up (at least in the media)it is about raw speed not schemes. Trust me, not much has changed at OSU on the defensive side of the ball since Tressel took over at OSU. After saying that, I think that the end of last year Nebraska would have finished at the top half of the B10. No clue about this year because of the turnover in some key positions in the B10. I just hope that all this talk happens because I love the thought of having Nebraska in the B10. Just remember it took a B10/OSU guy to turn around your program ;)

I understand schemes....however, when "team speed" is brought up (at least in the media)it is about raw speed not schemes. Trust me, not much has changed at OSU on the defensive side of the ball since Tressel took over at OSU. After saying that, I think that the end of last year Nebraska would have finished at the top half of the B10. No clue about this year because of the turnover in some key positions in the B10. I just hope that all this talk happens because I love the thought of having Nebraska in the B10. Just remember it took a B10/OSU guy to turn around your program ;)

You forgot another Ohio native who kept things going pretty good as assistant/head coach too. Wisconsin can also thank Nebraska for Alvarez. You seem to be only talking about OSU. I am talking about the big10 as a whole. How well has the big10 done against ranked/bowl teams from the south lately?

Just remember it took a B10/OSU guy to turn around your program ;)

I almost forgot that a big10 guy (coached at Illinois and Wisconsin) nearly flushed our program down the toilet.

How well has the big10 done against ranked/bowl teams from the south lately?

If you are talking about OSU, not very well. If you factor the conference as a whole, not as bad as you would like to think.

Iowa has done pretty well against ranked teams from the south not named Texas. We like to eat SEC teams :)