Kansas is in a rough spot

KU chancellor urges Nebraska to stay in Big 12

By DOUG TUCKER / AP Sports Writer

Monday, Jun 07, 2010 - 06:13:23 pm CDT

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kansas chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little urged her Nebraska counterpart Monday to remain in the Big 12 and help avoid a potential calamity for the Jayhawks.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Gray-Little said she got no indication of where Harvey Perlman might be leaning. She said she also planned to call Missouri chancellor Brady J. Deaton with the same message.

There has been speculation that Nebraska and Missouri could move to the Big Ten. If they leave, that might prompt six other Big 12 members, including Texas and Oklahoma, to consider a possible linkup with the Pac-10. The death of the Big 12 could put Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State in danger of being left out of any major conference.

Kansas State and Kansas, even with its historically prominent basketball program, could have difficulty maintaining their status as major players in college athletics.

“There are some universities that survive and thrive without a large athletic program,” said Gray-Little. “I hope we don’t have to test that out.”

Not being in a BCS conference could hurt Kansas in several ways.

“Obviously, that would be a serious disappointment to our community, whether you’re talking about students or alumni or other supporters of athletics,” Gray-Little said. “Athletics are important to a university. Athletics helps develop friendships and allegiances to the university.”

Gray-Little was in Europe last week when Big 12 officials failed to resolve the difficulties facing the league. She said she has been fully briefed by Kansas officials who represented her at the meetings and was aware of reports that Missouri and Nebraska have been given until Friday to declare their intentions.

“If those things happen by Friday, we should know next week where we stand with regard to the conference and who’s going to be in and who’s not,” she said. “I’m sure that for (Perlman) and for others, the conversation will involve a great number of issues. I did not get an indication from him on which way things were going to go.”

Kansas and Nebraska have been members of the same conference for decades. Kansas and Missouri have a spirited, colorful football rivalry that began in 1891 and is the second-longest in the country. Their game has been played every year since 1919.

Gray-Little said she made sure that Perlman knew where she stood.

“I have not finished my conversations for the day. I intend, if not today, in the next two days to talk to the presidents and chancellors of other institutions as well,” she said.

Led by athletic director Lew Perkins, Kansas is working to put together alternative plans in case the Big 12 does dissolve.

“We want the Big 12 to continue,” Gray-Little said. “But because any one or more of these things could happen, part of our discussion also is what would be the next plan for us. I don’t have any specifics to give you at this point, but that has to be part of our thinking. If the efforts to keep the Big 12 in fact do not work out, what alternatives will there be for us or K-State and the other universities that might not be part of some new organization?”

Kansas and Kansas State, fierce rivals for decades, have vowed to work together.

“That’s been our commitment and our plan, to the extent that it’s possible, that we would work together, that we would intend to be in the same conference and have the opportunity to play one another and continue a great tradition of rivalry.”

You know Texas could just decide to stay in the big 12...how come nobody's petitioning them to stay even if we leave? Perhaps because they all know texass doesn't care about them? Fools should've given things some thought before always casting their votes with texass all these years. The irony that they wanted to level our playing field and knock us out of power and know they plead with us to help them.

You know Texas could just decide to stay in the big 12...how come nobody's petitioning them to stay even if we leave? Perhaps because they all know texass doesn't care about them? Fools should've given things some thought before always casting their votes with texass all these years. The irony that they wanted to level our playing field and knock us out of power and know they plead with us to help them.

Texas is not leaving even if we do. They want to be in total control and that ain't happening if they join any other conference.

Texas is not leaving even if we do. They want to be in total control and that ain't happening if they join any other conference.

The pac 10's a bunch of push overs, they'll let them do whatever they want

their screwed and they know it. They have no say in their fate, needless too say a sucky position but they did vote too move the league offices too Dallas instead of keeping them in KC. so our sympathies should be minimal.

if they had voted to keep them here in KC along with an alternating title game maybe i would be more sympathetic.

Gray-Little was in Europe last week when Big 12 officials failed to resolve the difficulties facing the league.

Apparently the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and Buckingham Palace was a bit more important than her beloved university. Maybe voting against Nebraska in spite because they were sick of losing to NU in football wasn't the best option. I hope the G(J)ay(haw)c$%ks (sorry, I can't spell 'insignificant') have to join the Big Sky Conference and never see the light of day again.

Feel sorry for them all? Really? NU getting voted against 11-1 all these years ring a bell? The Big 12 isn't a conference, it's a conspiracy and a waste of time. Now, for once, schools NEED something from Nebraska. And boy, don't they know the Nebraska demeanor. We'll choke back some tears and clap for you at the end of a game, so now we'll get all emotional and be conservative suckers once again. Sometimes NU fans' compassion makes me sick when you know damn well every single Big 12 school would shove a dagger in NU's back quicker than you can say Big Texas Conference. And why? Because they KNOW we'd take it. Think I'm wrong? Now higher powers from a pathetic school in Texas are calling us "Cornshuckers?" Lots of respect, huh. I proudly graduated from UNL, and I have one allegiance...Nebraska. I want one school to do what's right for Nebraska...Nebraska. Whether NU is kicking butt on the west coast, east coast, or midwest, I could care less. As long as that's what they're doing, and not letting the pleading and begging of hypocrites get in the way.

Gray-Little was in Europe last week when Big 12 officials failed to resolve the difficulties facing the league.

Apparently the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and Buckingham Palace was a bit more important than her beloved university. Maybe voting against Nebraska in spite because they were sick of losing to NU in football wasn't the best option. I hope the G(J)ay(haw)c$%ks (sorry, I can't spell 'insignificant') have to join the Big Sky Conference and never see the light of day again.

Feel sorry for them all? Really? NU getting voted against 11-1 all these years ring a bell? The Big 12 isn't a conference, it's a conspiracy and a waste of time. Now, for once, schools NEED something from Nebraska. And boy, don't they know the Nebraska demeanor. We'll choke back some tears and clap for you at the end of a game, so now we'll get all emotional and be conservative suckers once again. Sometimes NU fans' compassion makes me sick when you know damn well every single Big 12 school would shove a dagger in NU's back quicker than you can say Big Texas Conference. And why? Because they KNOW we'd take it. Think I'm wrong? Now higher powers from a pathetic school in Texas are calling us "Cornshuckers?" Lots of respect, huh. I proudly graduated from UNL, and I have one allegiance...Nebraska. I want one school to do what's right for Nebraska...Nebraska. Whether NU is kicking butt on the west coast, east coast, or midwest, I could care less. As long as that's what they're doing, and not letting the pleading and begging of hypocrites get in the way.

YEAH.

Yeah, forget ISU and Baylor if the worst scenario happens for the Big 12. Kansas and Kansas State are going to get the worst part of the backlash from it. Kansas politicians are calling their counterparts in Nebraska and Missouri, urging them to pressure their schools to stay put. The presidents of Kansas and Kansas State are phoning CEOs at Nebraska and Missouri. Both football coaches at Kansas and Kansas State have contacted Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne to plead their case.

I have to admit, Kansas was ready to look up for a brighter future, but that lid is about to close if they can't find a new home if the Big 12 goes down the tube. Now could Kansas get away with going to the Big East?