Had that second not been put back on the clock...

I really don't know how it could be the last straw considering it was the right call. Again, I don't think it had any impact at all.

WHEN HAS AN INCOMPLETE PASS OUT OF BOUNDS EVER BEEN REVIEWED TO SEE HOW MUCH TIME SHOULD BE PUT ON THE CLOCK? It was a non-reviewable play but they did it for Texas since they (ran) the conference. They (were) the CEO/Chairman of the old big twelve!!!!!

Never, only when it is Texas and they are not going to the BCS National Championship Game.

Tom Osborne brought up this point at the Big 12 meeting in KC. Quote was something like, (I guess we need some new guidelines/rules on how we put time back on the clock for incomplete passes) I will look it up and edit this.

I think the last straw was/were a couple things. All championship games to be in the state of Texas and not rotating them. All teams voting consistently with Texas and against NU. I think 11-1 was the common number on most votes involving Big 12 issues.

How many people remember the 93 Orange Bowl against Florida State. It was 4th and long with a few secs left to play. Tommie Fraizer completes a pass to give the Huskers a 1st down and get in field goal range, but time had expired. The refs review the play and determine that 3 sec should be added on the clock. We kick a long field goal but we missed it. We lost the game 16 to 18, if we would of made that we would of won 3 mnc three years in a row and 4 of 5 years. The point is our Huskers got 3 sec added after the clock had expired and I heard no bitching about it. So please lets give this a rest. The reason were going to the Big 10 it is what is best for Nebraska. Even if we had beat Texas last year we are still gone.

Since the bandaid was ripped off. You are kind of making my point here. One pass was completed(93 Orange Bowl) and another fell incomplete (Texas vs NU). I watch a lot of college football and a lot of pro football even some flag football and I have never seen extra time put on the clock because a pass was incomplete. Whatever the clocks states after the referee stops the clock after the pass lands, that is it. If I wrong on this, I will accept this as a legit rule. It went to zero and that was due to the human element. The same reason the perfect game wasn't changed last week. The human element of refs and umpires. Not only has the bandaid been ripped off, I am back to picking at the scab.

3 seconds of runoff when the clock is supposed to stop does not equal the time that it took for the clock operators to stop the clock once the ball hit the ground during the Big XII championship game. That one second wasn't in my definition of egregious, especially when 2 other high profile games ended on similar clock situations (ND/Mich and Miami/FSU). Rules were bent to get Texas into the BCS championship game, and that's what makes it hurt that much more.

I won't say that it isn't right for them to put that second on, because that would've been the right call. The officials just used an interpretation of the rule that hadn't been used all year in similar high profile situations.

would we even be having these discussions right now?

Was that the proverbial last straw?

You people who think moving to the Big Ten is because we lost one stupid football game need to get a clue. Do you really think Osborne is that petty? Come on. And yes, if we win that game we'd be talking about this today. In fact, if we had won the last 500 games in a row, we'd be having this discussion.

Oh yes, absolutely. That's the ONLY reason Nebraska is joining the Big 10. Because one second got put on the clock in the Conference Championship Game. That is 100% the only reason whatsoever this is happening.

You're like the Amazing Kreskin. You just perceive things so clearly, it's like magic.

Hey Master mind, that's cute. But I didn't say it was "the reason", or even "a reason." My question was and is: Was it the last straw?

You two need to kiss and make up :lol:

3 seconds of runoff when the clock is supposed to stop does not equal the time that it took for the clock operators to stop the clock once the ball hit the ground during the Big XII championship game. That one second wasn't in my definition of egregious, especially when 2 other high profile games ended on similar clock situations (ND/Mich and Miami/FSU). Rules were bent to get Texas into the BCS championship game, and that's what makes it hurt that much more.

I won't say that it isn't right for them to put that second on, because that would've been the right call. The officials just used an interpretation of the rule that hadn't been used all year in similar high profile situations.

That rule is suppose to be for 5 to 10 seconds running off and never is 1 second considered egregious. When has a game ever stopped and they say, let's go to the replay official and make sure the proper milli second is put back on that out of bounds pass? Maybe we will learn to play hard and never take anything for granted.

On the play immediately prior to Lawrence's field goal, as the game clock ticked down Texas quarterback Colt McCoy rolled far to the right, with Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh in pursuit, and threw a pass well down field and out of bounds. The game clock ran out ending the fourth quarter, with Nebraska appearing to win 12-10. However, pursuant to Rule 12-3-6, the video replay official determined that an "egregious," and therefore reviewable, error concerning the game clock had occurred and ordered one second be put on the game clock. The ESPN/ABC video feed showed that McCoy's pass hit a stadium railing, out of bounds, with :01 remaining.

Adjective

egregious (comparative more egregious, superlative most egregious)

1. Exceptional, conspicuous, outstanding, most usually in a negative fashion.

2. Outrageously bad.

If it was so close that they had to replay it to determine that it hit a stadium railing with :01 remaining, it was not egregious. It was close and a judgment call by the clock operator. A few inches difference, it does not hit the rail but continues to travel until it hits the next obstacle. It was a close call folks. An egregious error would be blatant and obvious. This is only the opinion of one former Texan, for all it is worth.

You people who think moving to the Big Ten is because we lost one stupid football game need to get a clue. Do you really think Osborne is that petty? Come on. And yes, if we win that game we'd be talking about this today. In fact, if we had won the last 500 games in a row, we'd be having this discussion.

Despite my previous post, I do agree here. Anybody read Shatel's column today? This move is the right thing to do.

On the play immediately prior to Lawrence's field goal, as the game clock ticked down Texas quarterback Colt McCoy rolled far to the right, with Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh in pursuit, and threw a pass well down field and out of bounds. The game clock ran out ending the fourth quarter, with Nebraska appearing to win 12-10. However, pursuant to Rule 12-3-6, the video replay official determined that an "egregious," and therefore reviewable, error concerning the game clock had occurred and ordered one second be put on the game clock. The ESPN/ABC video feed showed that McCoy's pass hit a stadium railing, out of bounds, with :01 remaining.

Adjective

egregious (comparative more egregious, superlative most egregious)

1. Exceptional, conspicuous, outstanding, most usually in a negative fashion.

2. Outrageously bad.

3. Bad for Texas

If it was so close that they had to replay it to determine that it hit a stadium railing with :01 remaining, it was not egregious. It was close and a judgment call by the clock operator. A few inches difference, it does not hit the rail but continues to travel until it hits the next obstacle. It was a close call folks. An egregious error would be blatant and obvious. This is only the opinion of one former Texan, for all it is worth.

You forgot one

It drives me up a wall when people relate these 2 stories together. In the end we lost the game........ its done get over it. We can talk about redemption during the Texas week. Moving to the Big Ten was invitable within the next 5 years. The Money, the tv coverage, a better education for our student athletes. Those are all the reasons for the move. This is a university move, not a football move. Surely the football program will benefit, but so will university as whole will reap the benefits also. The Big 12 screwed this up, not Texas. If the Big 12 had their crap together when this conference was formed we wouldnt be having these discussions. The Big 12 didnt adjust with the times.... they essentially were, "asleep at the wheel."

I remember when CU was the first Big 12 team mentioned to bolt for the Pac-10 back in January. Then Mizzou followed it up with the Big Ten shortly afterwards. A couple months went by (April) and all of a sudden Nebraska's name gets thrown into the Big Ten conversation.

With that in mind, T.O. and Perlman knew that these conference re-alignment scenarios were about to take place soon because the Big Ten came out in December and openly admitted that they would be expanding over the next 12-18 months. The Pac-10 also made the same announcement about that time too. It served us well to be proactive in this case which is exactly what T.O. and Perlman have been doing since.

CU has wanted to go to the Pac 10 forever. When the whole story about this is made public, I will not be surprised if we find out NU started the talk of Big 10 expansion by inquiring about joining. Not the other way around with the Big 10 looking to expand and us deciding it would be a good fit.