OU AD feels like a friend died

http://content.usato...e-from-big-12/1

Even before Colorado became the official 11th member of the Pac-10, Oklahoma athletics director Joe Castiglione felt the pinch of conference realignment.

As reports swirled that Nebraska is just about ready to announce a shift to the Big Ten, Castiglione, who helped put together the Big 12 in early 1990s as the AD at Missouri, said the news isn't good.

"I think it's over with them (Cornhuskers)," a dour Castiglione said in a late-night telephone interview with Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World. "It feels like somebody died. It's that emotional for so many people who put so much into creating the Big 12."

And now that Colorado has beaten Nebraska to the punch, there are now two near-certain holes in the Big 12's lineup.

Whether this means the league will fold and five teams -- Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State -- will also head to the Pac-10 remains to be seen.

On Thursday, amid the news of Colorado's move, Sittler posted an item on his blog saying if the Big 12 wants to remain, they need to make a major push to get Arkansas to leave the SEC and also look to add Air Force in the mix. Brigham Young is another possibility for the Big 12 if the league's remaining teams look to keep the league running.

Castiglione acknowledged that BYU and Air Force are two teams the Big 12 might look at if it can convince Texas to help hold the conference together.

Texas, which yields enormous power in the Big 12 because of its revenue-making ability, could lose some of that power in a shift to the Pac-10, one reason Castiglione feels the Longhorns could push to keep the Big 12 intact.

"We worked really hard (with Nebraska) to try and make this work," a subdued Castiglione said, according to the Tulsa World. "But it apparently wasn't enough."

BS Joe. You and others sided with Texas from day one.

• Fire 1

Exactly. Castiglione is full of crap. OU has the power to stand on it's own. He could have taken Nebraska's side against the stupid ultimatum, but he didn't. He's a conniving bastard who has been planning with Texas all along. He disgusts me.

I understand your frustration, but I do have to ask: if you were to hitch your wagon to someone, would you rather be hitched to Nebraska or Texas? I'm a Nebraska fan, and even I would hitch my wagon to Texas. I think your outcome will be better keeping the Texas connection.

i find it unbelievable that this guy is so butt-hurt now that nebraska is leaving considering they went right along with texas in making the big 12 a south-centric conference. his comment "We worked really hard (with Nebraska) to try and make this work," a subdued Castiglione said, according to the Tulsa World. "But it apparently wasn't enough." is completely laughable.

Exactly. Castiglione is full of crap. OU has the power to stand on it's own. He could have taken Nebraska's side against the stupid ultimatum, but he didn't. He's a conniving bastard who has been planning with Texas all along. He disgusts me.

I understand your frustration, but I do have to ask: if you were to hitch your wagon to someone, would you rather be hitched to Nebraska or Texas? I'm a Nebraska fan, and even I would hitch my wagon to Texas. I think your outcome will be better keeping the Texas connection.

i don't think it is about hitching wagons. it is more about the politics they played and the alliances they disbanded. once we were all in the big 12, no need to be hitching wagons, because we were supposed to be in it together, and have the best interest of the conference in mind. hitching your wagon is one thing, selling out a school (or the whole conference except texas) is another. they were sycophants to texas, and it was gross.

that being said, with all of this realignment going on, they should quickly hitch their wagon to texas, as should all of the south, and what ever north team can fit.

• Fire 1

Blow it out your ass, Joe! You guys blew up the rivalry and killed the tradition of the Big 8 so you could suck the Texas hind tit. After all of this, I could care less about any members of the old Big 8 besides Kansas and Iowa State.

Well in his defense over the rivalry, I'm pretty sure he was the AD at mizzou during the big 12 forming and not OU so he really didn't make that call.

Blow it out your ass, Joe! You guys blew up the rivalry and killed the tradition of the Big 8 so you could suck the Texas hind tit. After all of this, I could care less about any members of the old Big 8 besides Kansas and Iowa State.

Well in his defense over the rivalry, I'm pretty sure he was the AD at mizzou during the big 12 forming and not OU so he really didn't make that call.

True, but he is the AD responsible for OU becoming Texas' red headed step brother.

Not if you were able to see the picture you wouldn't have. The Big 8 programs should have given UT nothing more than a taste of power rather than the whole cake.

The other Big 8 programs saw siding with UT as a way to level the field with NU. In looking at this they all failed to see the big picture.

Not if you were able to see the picture you wouldn't have. The Big 8 programs should have given UT nothing more than a taste of power rather than the whole cake.

cuz they have the cake and they're eating it too

He still had a vote and my guess is he voted against the continued annual match up between NU and OU.