OU AD feels like a friend died

Blow it out your ass, Joe! You guys blew up the rivalry and killed the tradition of the Big 8 so you could suck the Texas hind tit. After all of this, I could care less about any members of the old Big 8 besides Kansas and Iowa State.

Well in his defense over the rivalry, I'm pretty sure he was the AD at mizzou during the big 12 forming and not OU so he really didn't make that call.

He still had a vote and my guess is he voted against the continued annual match up between NU and OU.

and that is why we don't care if we leave OU in the dust

http://content.usato...e-from-big-12/1

BS Joe. You and others sided with Texas from day one.

Exactly. Castiglione is full of crap. OU has the power to stand on it's own. He could have taken Nebraska's side against the stupid ultimatum, but he didn't. He's a conniving bastard who has been planning with Texas all along. He disgusts me.

I understand your frustration, but I do have to ask: if you were to hitch your wagon to someone, would you rather be hitched to Nebraska or Texas? I'm a Nebraska fan, and even I would hitch my wagon to Texas. I think your outcome will be better keeping the Texas connection.

Not if you were able to see the picture you wouldn't have. The Big 8 programs should have given UT nothing more than a taste of power rather than the whole cake.

cuz they have the cake and they're eating it too

And now they have a mouthful of cake and are desperately looking for a glass milk to help wash it down.

Agreed that it is total BS from Joe C. The old Big 8 schools should have banded together but he backed Texas and the South from day one and the shift continued from there. The corrupt SWC refugees should have tried to make it a partnership but continued their corrupt ways. the Big XII was tainted from day one and it is great to see that Nebraska has the BALLS to walk away from that.

Blow it out your ass, Joe! You guys blew up the rivalry and killed the tradition of the Big 8 so you could suck the Texas hind tit. After all of this, I could care less about any members of the old Big 8 besides Kansas and Iowa State.

Well in his defense over the rivalry, I'm pretty sure he was the AD at mizzou during the big 12 forming and not OU so he really didn't make that call.

He still had a vote and my guess is he voted against the continued annual match up between NU and OU.

That was actually Donnie Duncan who was the Oklahoma AD as the time the Big 8 absorbed the four SWC teams. After that bit of treachery, he went on to work for the Big 12. In fact, he's still in charge of the championship game. Wonder why everything ends up in Texas? Jackholes like former OU Donnie Duncan are a huge part of it.

I think you guys are maybe taking this too personally. Just because OU feels like it's future is tied to Texas (which it probably is) doesn't mean they are not sad to see you go. I don't blame you for going, I totally understand it. That doesn't mean Joe wanted you to go, or wasn't frustrated that the Texas/NU gap was just to wide to bridge. I have seen 2 good people who just cannot work together. In this case, these guys were in the middle, but their future was not in the Big 10, so what exactly are they supposed to do? OU's interests are best served being in the conference with Texas. They get their eyeballs, their recruits and their most famous rivalry there now. I know everyone should not care only about themself, but let's be honest, each school pretty much was looking out for #1... That doesn't mean Joe is evil for siding with UT on some things, but not wanting NU to leave and to work it out...

jayhawk, I think this is just pent-up frustration over the degradation of the Oklahoma rivalry because of the missteps of the early Big 12 conference. Anyone who attended the beautiful game in Lincoln with the Crouch reception probably witnessed the last game where the OU rivalry still remained somewhat intact. It was exciting and emotional, and the fans definitely miss those moments. I don't blame them. They wanted to build on tradition and have a strong conference, and people wanted to weaken NU so there were consequences that, in the end, make the Big Ten more appealing. Their universities are more in-tune with what we had hoped to establish with the Big XII. A tradition-rich, competitive league with a family atmosphere between the universities.

That game was incredible. That play was unforgettable. The rivalry with OU never should've been disbanded. I just hope the Big Ten is smart enough to keep their biggest rivalries intact when we enter the fray. Surely they've seen the results of such a cardinal sin.

http://content.usato...e-from-big-12/1

Even before Colorado became the official 11th member of the Pac-10, Oklahoma athletics director Joe Castiglione felt the pinch of conference realignment.

As reports swirled that Nebraska is just about ready to announce a shift to the Big Ten, Castiglione, who helped put together the Big 12 in early 1990s as the AD at Missouri, said the news isn't good.

"I think it's over with them (Cornhuskers)," a dour Castiglione said in a late-night telephone interview with Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World. "It feels like somebody died. It's that emotional for so many people who put so much into creating the Big 12."

And now that Colorado has beaten Nebraska to the punch, there are now two near-certain holes in the Big 12's lineup.

Whether this means the league will fold and five teams -- Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State -- will also head to the Pac-10 remains to be seen.

On Thursday, amid the news of Colorado's move, Sittler posted an item on his blog saying if the Big 12 wants to remain, they need to make a major push to get Arkansas to leave the SEC and also look to add Air Force in the mix. Brigham Young is another possibility for the Big 12 if the league's remaining teams look to keep the league running.

Castiglione acknowledged that BYU and Air Force are two teams the Big 12 might look at if it can convince Texas to help hold the conference together.

Texas, which yields enormous power in the Big 12 because of its revenue-making ability, could lose some of that power in a shift to the Pac-10, one reason Castiglione feels the Longhorns could push to keep the Big 12 intact.

"We worked really hard (with Nebraska) to try and make this work," a subdued Castiglione said, according to the Tulsa World. "But it apparently wasn't enough."

BS Joe. You and others sided with Texas from day one.

It's the last line in the article that is the killer. I can totally understand it if OU thinks siding with Texas is the way to go. Do what you think is in your best interest. But to say you tried so hard to make it work with us? WTF did you do? WHAT? Give us a deadline to commit-by while not giving us any reason to stay in the con? Suck it, we're out of here.

Yeah OU could've stood up and said no ultimatum's let's just find out what Nebraska needs and try to compromise. No where among any news outlets have I heard about compromise. Only ultimatums. So I'm not buying they tried. The Texass media would be pointing it all out if there really was all this "effort" to save us.

Yeah OU could've stood up and said no ultimatum's let's just find out what Nebraska needs and try to compromise. No where among any news outlets have I heard about compromise. Only ultimatums. So I'm not buying they tried. The Texass media would be pointing it all out if there really was all this "effort" to save us.

This

Why didn't we have a protected crossover game with OU when the Big 12 was formed?

When the con started OU was at a lowpoint and we were the top program in the country. Playing us every season if they didn't have to didn't make sense.

more to the point, they were already destined to be playing texas every year. oklahoma looked at both texas and nebraska circa mid-90s and said, "screw you, huskers: we like our chances better with texas every year!"

they had a choice. to paraphrase the man from the third indiana jones film, "they chose poorly."

so all these tears for broken rivalry are just show. "oh, cornholers!" cry the landgrabbers. "how could you have forsaken your rivals in norman?! how can you turn your back on the magic of our storied histories?!"

pretty freakin' easy considering you all whored yourselves out to texas when the big xii was formed in the beginning. forgive us if we don't take your remorse seriously now.