why did nebraska ignore the pac 10

well, i am one that does not approve of the big 10, and thought nebraska should have bolted west to the pac 10 with colorado. i was watching perlman and osborn at the regents meeting today, and not once did i get a hint of why the pac 10 was avoided. i thought they would have stated they had an interest in the pac 10, but it did not come about. i believe with southern cal on probabtion, nebraska might have been able to reach into california and done well recruiting the vast and populated state...the tv makets, lets see, in the big 10, you have detroit, chicago, columbus , indianapolis, harrisburg, madison........if nu joined the pac 10, denver, phoenix, los angles, san franciso, portland, seatlle, plus many other populated cities in california.... i walk away from osborns and perlmans decision with distaste, as i did when they hired solich..

Did the Pac-10 even want us?

At the very least, Osborne mentioned the struggles in competing with the southern Big XII schools for fair weather outdoor sports. Moving to the Pac-10 would not have solved that. Also, the Big 10 has the CIC. I don't know what the Pac-10 has in terms of that, but I doubt it's anything as impressive as what the CIC has to offer with the Big 10 schools.

Did the Pac-10 even want us?

At the very least, Osborne mentioned the struggles in competing with the southern Big XII schools for fair weather outdoor sports. Moving to the Pac-10 would not have solved that. Also, the Big 10 has the CIC. I don't know what the Pac-10 has in terms of that, but I doubt it's anything as impressive as what the CIC has to offer with the Big 10 schools.

The CIC is unique. No other major conference has anything like it. It's another distinction that separates the Big Ten from other conferences.

I don't think that the PAC-10 was ever seriously considered. Nebraska is more similar to the other Big 10 schools than the PAC-10 schools. Besides, if the PAC-16 comes to fruition, it may be divided into EAST-WEST Divisions, with the West schools having an advantage in climate and recruiting--a scenario not much different than the Big 12's North-South configuration.

This really didn't have as much to do with athletics as it did academics. Athletically I'm not terribly excited about the move. It just got a little harder to have a great football team. What it does for the school is staggering. We aren't anymore a Pac 10 school than Wisconsin is. That would just be weird. I don't think the teams that are being forced to scramble for a Pac 10 spot are happy to be doing it. It is just the best option left. :koolaid2: