Will you let your sons or daughters play football?

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Borrowed from another site..But interesting topic.

=MC Fresh Breath

I realize the board I'm asking the question on, but just read up on Chris Henry's brain, and found this to be an interesting article:

Concussions and football: Is the game too dangerous for our kids?

I'm a big fan of the sport, but now that I have a son, I wonder about these kinds of things. I'm sure many more studies will be put out by the time he's old enough to play, but for those of you already in the decision making process, what are your thoughts?

And if I decided to not let him play, then I start to think--should be a fan of something that I wouldn't allow my son to do? A fan of a sport that seems to physically ruin so many during what should be their nicer later years in life? And, dammit, I like boxing, too, so there is that.

I thought this was the Husker Football forum.

I didn't see anything about Husker football discussion in the original post.

If this gets to stay, then 75% of the stuff just as relevant should get to also- don't get mad at me just trying to keep things fair here.

This obviously goes is the more general discussion Big Red Lounge.

Borrowed from another site..But interesting topic.

=MC Fresh Breath

I realize the board I'm asking the question on, but just read up on Chris Henry's brain, and found this to be an interesting article:

Concussions and football: Is the game too dangerous for our kids?

I'm a big fan of the sport, but now that I have a son, I wonder about these kinds of things. I'm sure many more studies will be put out by the time he's old enough to play, but for those of you already in the decision making process, what are your thoughts?

And if I decided to not let him play, then I start to think--should be a fan of something that I wouldn't allow my son to do? A fan of a sport that seems to physically ruin so many during what should be their nicer later years in life? And, dammit, I like boxing, too, so there is that.

I thought this was the Husker Football forum.

I didn't see anything about Husker football discussion in the original post.

If this gets to stay, then 75% of the stuff just as relevant should get to also- don't get mad at me just trying to keep things fair here.

This obviously goes is the more general discussion Big Red Lounge.

Future Huskers

Okay then my future husker that plays NCAA 2011 can post about NCAA 11 here.

or my future Husker that eats Husker recipes can post about those here.

This has no information about Husker football and is as literally as general as the topic of football, which would mean i can post anything about football in general in here. But I bet you would move that, right?

Just trying to keep things fair.

Okay then my future husker that plays NCAA 2011 can post about NCAA 11 here.

or my future Husker that eats Husker recipes can post about those here.

This has no information about Husker football and is as literally as general as the topic of football, which would mean i can post anything about football in general in here. But I bet you would move that, right?

Just trying to keep things fair.

eff'n Librarians

Dang right. If he wants to play, he will be very encouraged, life's too short to worry all the time.

I say that because I know that if I would have died playing football, I would have died happy.

Well yeah..That would be a no brainer.

I'd even selfishly expect my parents to "get over it" if I died doing what I love.

I even used to make fun of people that were so worried about how anything/everything "affected the kids".

It's pretty profound how perspectives and priorities change once you have one of your own..

People tried to warn me, but I just gave my 2nd Siberian Husky a hug and laughed at them...The Fools.

• 3 months later...

If my kids want to play football, I'll encourage them. However, by the time they get to high school, I'll probably set some pretty strict physical guidelines, at least with weight. If they're 5'9" and 140 lbs, I'm not going to let them go out and get killed by future division 1A athletes.

as much discipline and work ethic as football and wrestling tought me, I just can't see preventing my kids from those great life lessons. I never understood parents who forbid their kids from playing sprots, in the big picture it may not mean a lot but the lessons it teaches are irreplaceable.

I've seen this sentiment a couple of times on this thread. While sports can teach you these values, sports aren't the only thing that can teach you these values. Music, dance, all of the arts really, teach all of the same values. They're all different disciplines, but whichever one you participate in, if you approach it the right way, you learn all of those same irreplaceable lessons.

My son is three and he already loves football, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't want to play when he's old enough. I wouldn't force him to, that's just stupid. But of course I'll let him.

At the rate we're going with all the new-age pansies, by the time he's old enough, contact will be all but outlawed from the game. And padding will probably be more advanced.

I have 2 sons, both play. Oldest is 10th grade, very quick feet normally a select soccer player. Younger is in 7th grade and will be a monster, if he stays healthy, he is extremely strongand has a great love of the game. He plays in junior high, and a Club team, there season is still going.

He will play sports, and in the beginning probably a good bit of the usual youngster sports. One, being active is so much better then watching tv. Two, as I think some previously said, I will know where he is at all times. Three, its family oriented and has a large social componet. I, however, will not be upset if he chooses golf and tennis to persue when he gets older(highschool)or even art or music. The art or music thing is highly unlikely given his genetics, but my point is he will not sit and get in trouble.

My son has played football, and due to the fact that his high school is ranked in the top of 50 or so of HS programs, he wouldn't have gotten any regular play time.

So he went a different route.

Rugby.

The hits are just as hard as football, but sans pads. These kids are going at 110% and rarely, very rarely, does somebody sustain a concussion.

They know how to hit folks.

I have spent my entire post-college life being a High School football coach...with that said, yes, I will let my son play football. In fact, we just organized a "pop-warner" team for our local league this past fall and had a large number of 3rd-6th grade boys (including my son) participate. My son LOVES the game of football and studies it like a coach's son (and he is 10), but he isn't fond of contact. I will encourage him to play, but not force him to play. Even as the coach, I will let him make his own decisions when it comes to athletics.

I completely understand and also worry about the dangers of the sport. I take concussions extremely serious and will not let an athlete mess around with any type of head, neck , or back injury. These type of injuries are ALL off-limits until cleared by a medical professional.

I hope that all of the new information doesn't scare people away from such a wonderful game, but in turn, helps the manufactuers produce better protective gear. But in the end, the safey of a human being, especially children of all ages is what should come first and foremost....football is JUST A GAME.