Roy Helu Jr

My only knock on Helu from the previous year was his inability to get into the end zone in big games. He had career rushing days against VaTech and OU, yet didn't find the end zone once. I'd be happy with him not reaching over 1,000 yards as long as he found the end zone a few more times. Hopefully, a healthy year will give him both.

If he stays healthy and ends up 4th on the All Time chart I don’t think that makes him an “All Time Great”.

Marlon Lucky is 4th for career All Purpose yards behind The Jet, Rozier and Ahman. Do people around here consider him to be an “All Time Great”? I don’t think they do.

This is what I'm thinking also. LP left a year early and was basically booted from the team a year. Ahman left a year early. When I think of great RB's that played for NU, Helu is a ways down the list for me. If we're only looking at statistics, Jamal Lord was one of our better QB's. I highly doubt many consider him one of the Husker greats. Helu is a good RB. He shows glimmers of greatness where he could take over a game, but injuries have for the most part kept him from doing it.

Helu is top ten Husker material. Maybe not top 5 though.

Helu has deceptive speed, takes great angles, and pretty good hands. But is injury prone, and maybe lacks power on the inside lanes. Roy has done everything asked of him and never gotten in any off-field trouble. His biggest sin may be that he was recruited by he who shall not be named.

The off-field/attitude stuff counts for a lot. LP was a MUCH better RB than Helu. But I'd take Helu over LP any day of the week. Especially Sunday through Friday.

Ok so the season is sneaking up on us, and I was looking at some stuff and I noticed something interesting. Follow me here...

Roy Helu Statistics:

2007- 209 yards

2008- 803 yards

2009- 1147 yards

Total- 2,159 yards

Which currently ranks him 22nd in Nebraska's record books for career rushing. Now lets say Roy rushes for 1,000 yards in 2010, that will give him 3,159 yards. Which would rank him 4th in career rushing yards behind Mike Rozier, Ahman Green, and Eric Crouch.

Granted we will have to see whether or not he can obtain that 1,000 yards this year, but that is some impressive company. I know a lot of people fell in love with Rex, but I still think Roy is our best option at RB this year and I hope he gets enough touches and stays healthy to put up at least 1,000 yards.

Call me crazy but I think we will be afforded the luxury of having two 1000-yard rushers this year in Helu and Rex. We have a unique opportunity for a great name for our two-headed rushing attack... Helusaurus Rex.

We'll have three 1000 yard rushers if Martinez starts at QB.

Oh man how I want Martinez starting at QB. I could easily deal with four years of that dude.

I love your way of thinking! I too am dying a horrible death to see Marinez play.

Oh yeah...."three" 1000 yard rushers......give it to me!!

i think helu is already on the level of ross and alexander...if he finally gets over the hump of potentially great to actually taking over games he can easily work his way into greatness...this kid was suppose to do it last year and it looked like he was going to...injury stopped him but i think he has every opportunity to become one of the greats...i also think he could end up being a (now) second day draft choice(stupid nfl making the draft three days)

If he stays healthy and ends up 4th on the All Time chart I don’t think that makes him an “All Time Great”.

Marlon Lucky is 4th for career All Purpose yards behind The Jet, Rozier and Ahman. Do people around here consider him to be an “All Time Great”? I don’t think they do.

I don't know about all time great, but I remember Lucky more fondly than most seem to. He was never the same after 2007 and I chalk it up to persistent injury problems because I don't know how else to explain it, but what he did his junior year, I won't forget it for a long time. 1000 yards rushing and 700 yards receiving. He was a man among boys that season.