Making the Horseshoe

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It is SHAMEFUL to think that I posted that ^^^ nine months ago, and I just now, within the last 20 minutes, finished the first shoe. It's been a busy year. :mellow:

So, with just days to go before a good friend at work gets married in what's sure to be a fun Husker ceremony before the game, I've finally finished my Shoe. Here it is. I'm no craftsman, so go easy on me:

my_shoe_small.jpg

• Fire 1

It is SHAMEFUL to think that I posted that ^^^ nine months ago, and I just now, within the last 20 minutes, finished the first shoe. It's been a busy year. :mellow:

So, with just days to go before a good friend at work gets married in what's sure to be a fun Husker ceremony before the game, I've finally finished my Shoe. Here it is. I'm no craftsman, so go easy on me:

my_shoe_small.jpg

The horseshoe is a little off-centered lol. Nah looks good man :thumbs

my_shoe_small.jpg

It looks like it's leaning to the right a little

my_shoe_small.jpg

Looks good. Now where's mine? ;)

my_shoe_small.jpg

That looks badass Knapp!!! What are the red things inside the horseshoe?

I told the wife that I want to redo my horseshoe frame and deciding whiter I want the wood frame or a chrome metal one.

my_shoe_small.jpg

Looks like Knapp used walnut for the frame while the original is oak.

Lol, j/k.

One more thing - did anyone else notice that the frame has changed? I just saw this today. The old-school frame, most likely from when the shoe was in the South stadium, had a wooden frame. Now it has a metal frame.

Which frame would be best, old school or current version?

Old School

Current Version

I'd be concerned with the metal frame you'd be likely to get from Target or a local frame shop..Hopefully, the real one has more better mitred corners that are polished so as not to cut the hand of the occasional high-5 when adrenaline causes you to try to destroy the shoe (I thought this thread was about tOSU stadium at 1st too).

It's no problem. I drive right by TSC on the way home, so I'll just swing in. Their website says they sell shoes for less than $5. Surprisingly, Orscheln's doesn't. They sell just about everything, including chicks in season, but not horseshoes? Hard to believe.

Don't toy with me, Knapp!

my_shoe_small.jpg

Actually I was just thinking the opposite..The original shows the tighter grain patterns of Walnut, or maybe Koa.. and Knap's looks like red oak with a medium walnut stain. ..(Either unsanded to make it slightly darker, or a mixture of dark and Medium walnut stain)

my_shoe_small.jpg

That looks badass Knapp!!! What are the red things inside the horseshoe?

I told the wife that I want to redo my horseshoe frame and deciding whiter I want the wood frame or a chrome metal one.

Those are the horseshoe nails. I got actual factual nails from a farrier. I was afraid they'd bend and twist when I was driving them in, but they're stronger than framing nails.

Mine is actually oak, with a dark walnut stain. I'm colorblind so it was pretty unlikely that I'd get the stain right. I just tried to get close. Plus I don't know wood so I can't tell what frame they used for the original. I wonder when the original was framed - I'm betting Menard's doesn't have that trim anymore. :lol: