One Not Coming

He was actually pretty highly rated coming out of high school. He was a 5.7 three star, the number 25 tight end in the class (16th rated TE was a 4 star) and he was the 2nd ranked recruit in Iowa. I'm not saying that he was an outstanding get but he is probably by far the highest rated TE we've had in a very, very long time.

IMO, this isn't a huge blow. With Reed and Cotton, we should have decent depth for the next few years. From what I have heard on Kerr, he hasn't shown a lot of promise. This frees up a schollie that we can hopefully use to sign another TE this year. Historically, TE seems to be one of those positions where walk-ons have been able to consistently contribute (most recently, Teafatiller and Young). I still think we're miles ahead of where we were under Callahan when J.B. Phillips was the starter (did J.B. stand for "Just Blocking"?).

IMO, this isn't a huge blow. With Reed and Cotton, we should have decent depth for the next few years. From what I have heard on Kerr, he hasn't shown a lot of promise. This frees up a schollie that we can hopefully use to sign another TE this year. Historically, TE seems to be one of those positions where walk-ons have been able to consistently contribute (most recently, Teafatiller and Young). I still think we're miles ahead of where we were under Callahan when J.B. Phillips was the starter (did J.B. stand for "Just Blocking"?).

I still remember that dropped pass where we was wide open and wouldve scored from about 50 yards out. I cant think of the game, texas '07????

remember that cotton was one of the top TEs in the country...

i fully expect cotton to be a good one. great size, good hands and made a few plays last year as a frosh. can't wait to have an NFL sized tight end that actually pounds the other team and can still run routes.

He was actually pretty highly rated coming out of high school. He was a 5.7 three star, the number 25 tight end in the class (16th rated TE was a 4 star) and he was the 2nd ranked recruit in Iowa. I'm not saying that he was an outstanding get but he is probably by far the highest rated TE we've had in a very, very long time.

in the last decade, chris septak, josh mueller, justin tomerlin and chase harper were all four star TE recruits (as well as big disappointments).

mcneil and (i think) herian were three stars.

given this trend, it's a good thing cotton was a three star.