Cody Green Never Will Start?

That'd be like starting the RB who was the best pass blocker but couldn't do anything else.

We put our lightning-in-a-bottle athletes as playmakers in other positions! QBs have to pass, or else it's a complete waste of having guys like Niles Paul or Mike McNeil. I have NO idea why everyone is treating 'running ability' and 'passing/managing the offense' as equal traits.

DING DING now we truly have a winner! I don't know when everyone is going to realize that Watson isn't going to change his offense because Martinez had a good spring game. Yes, he may be the best running QB we have, but we are not Navy. Hell, it took intervention from Osborne himself before Wats even budged, and even then the offense didn't go to an I form option or anything. We need the best arm under center. Pure and simple. Like zoogs said, we've got playmakers in Niles, Helu, Rex, McNeil, and Kinnie. If no one can get them the ball, they're useless. Would you rather have the ball in Martinez's hands 50% of the time and split the other 50% among Niles, Kinnie, Helu, etc? Not me. If he's such a playmaker, he should move to a position where he can flourish under Shawn Watson's offense, because the offense is not going to change for him, unless he became Michael Vick over the summer.

I sure hope not, we already have LP to our names we dont need a deginerate dog killing gambler added to that list.

That'd be like starting the RB who was the best pass blocker but couldn't do anything else.

We put our lightning-in-a-bottle athletes as playmakers in other positions! QBs have to pass, or else it's a complete waste of having guys like Niles Paul or Mike McNeil. I have NO idea why everyone is treating 'running ability' and 'passing/managing the offense' as equal traits.

DING DING now we truly have a winner! I don't know when everyone is going to realize that Watson isn't going to change his offense because Martinez had a good spring game. Yes, he may be the best running QB we have, but we are not Navy. Hell, it took intervention from Osborne himself before Wats even budged, and even then the offense didn't go to an I form option or anything. We need the best arm under center. Pure and simple. Like zoogs said, we've got playmakers in Niles, Helu, Rex, McNeil, and Kinnie. If no one can get them the ball, they're useless. Would you rather have the ball in Martinez's hands 50% of the time and split the other 50% among Niles, Kinnie, Helu, etc? Not me. If he's such a playmaker, he should move to a position where he can flourish under Shawn Watson's offense, because the offense is not going to change for him, unless he became Michael Vick over the summer.

I sure hope not, we already have LP to our names we dont need a deginerate dog killing gambler added to that list.

<_<

Quick lesson, folks:

A blogger is any schmoe, like you and me, with a keyboard and an internet connection. That's all it takes to blog. Coincidentally, that's all it takes to post messages here on HuskerBoard, or on ESPN's stories, or on Sportsline's stories, or any other forum or blog or comments section. "Bloggers" are often no more informed than you or I, and frankly, there are about a dozen guys here I could think of who are far more informed than most bloggers out there. Having a blog doesn't make you an expert, it makes you a blogger. Kind of like having a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter.

A writer, in the traditional sense of the word especially as it pertains to this subject, typically means someone who has their J-school degree, has spent some time honing his writing craft, and has some insight that the regular schmegular guys like you and I and the bloggers don't have, largely due to a magical talisman called a Press Pass. This Press Pass, acquired after many adventures and daring feats, gives the writer greater access to the players, coaches and facilities than you or I or the blogger has. It also means he has an editor and typically a fact-checker (although in small shops the editors and fact-checkers are one and the same), and it also means that the writer has journalistic standards and usually something called "integrity" that a blogger has no requirement to possess*. Because of these things, they often don't write like total ass, and their stories often have direction, purpose, and are typically based on facts, something this blog doesn't have and on which it is not based.

* - note: concepts like journalistic standards and integrity typically do not apply to "journalists" from Texas, Missouri and/or ESPN.

an excellent post. top too bottom.

From last year what i could tell he still seemed a little overwhelmed by the offense and D 1 football.

And as you will all take notice we have had a true freshman starter at QB in a while. Especially in this offense.

Lets wait till the end of his career too judge the kid.

Good to know, jliehr. Green has a year under his belt, and I expect him to be a much better player this year. Spano always seemed to have the skill set, he just had bad luck with injuries.

Martinez is still young. He should not play this year if we have serviceable QBs like Green, Lee, Spano, etc.

Good to know, jliehr. Green has a year under his belt, and I expect him to be a much better player this year. Spano always seemed to have the skill set, he just had bad luck with injuries.

Martinez is still young. He should not play this year if we have serviceable QBs like Green, Lee, Spano, etc.

Really? Im not a big fan of T-Mart but you have to get him on the field one way or another with the way he runs.

Really? Im not a big fan of T-Mart but you have to get him on the field one way or another with the way he runs.

Ahhh, my bad. I forgot that he's already redshirted. Yeah, he's a valuable guy to have on the field, no matter how you do it.

Ahhh, my bad. I forgot that he's already redshirted. Yeah, he's a valuable guy to have on the field, no matter how you do it.

Sean on HI is predicting Tmart to start. Im thinking Lee's arm isnt coming along as fast as they would like.

I thought T Mart was running all the scout team QB duties and giving the D fits last year as a red shirt. If that is the case he has practice experience and 1 year in the program. I was high on our other younger QB until I watched him repeatedly throw lawn darts during games. CG had a chance to play in the holiday bowl where the game was completely out of hand and one sided and he continued to throw poorly. I think the passing ability of all of our QB is a work in progress but when you compare all 3 of the top Qb's, which one can run for a 3rd and 5 and move the chains? We didn't put up a lot of yards against Texass but still was in position to win that game with 4 FG's and good special teams play and great defense. Look for a mobile QB to take most of the snaps this year as our O-Line returns to what we are used to seeing.

Well, again, we have to take Cody's 2009 season with a grain of salt. I continue to be the middle-man here: Cody was neither as good nor as bad as people are making him out to be. He did a decent job playing unexpectedly as a true Freshman, and with the disaster that was our O-Line, it is hard to expect the kid to have developed much from in-game experience.

I will wait and see what he does in game situations this year before making any kind of decision on him, I guess. TMart really impressed me in the Spring Game, but Cody didn't look to bad, either.

Well, again, we have to take Cody's 2009 season with a grain of salt. I continue to be the middle-man here: Cody was neither as good nor as bad as people are making him out to be. He did a decent job playing unexpectedly as a true Freshman, and with the disaster that was our O-Line, it is hard to expect the kid to have developed much from in-game experience.

I will wait and see what he does in game situations this year before making any kind of decision on him, I guess. TMart really impressed me in the Spring Game, but Cody didn't look to bad, either.

Agree with this. We tend to point out his poor throws (Like that sad out route in the Holiday bowl) but we need to give him some cred for the good plays he made, like the long run against FAU and the deep ball to Niles against Baylor. As a QB, I thought he was just as impressive as Martinez in the spring game.

As a sophomore, I'll give Cody the innocent until proven guilty treatment

Agree with this. We tend to point out his poor throws (Like that sad out route in the Holiday bowl) but we need to give him some cred for the good plays he made, like the long run against FAU and the deep ball to Niles against Baylor. As a QB, I thought he was just as impressive as Martinez in the spring game.

As a sophomore, I'll give Cody the innocent until proven guilty treatment

cody does not seem to be able to make the touch throws, but his strength is throwing on the run. In fairness to him, NU keeps trying to make him a dropback passer, which he is not.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER.

if neither Lee nor Green can pass or run then lets at least get the one player we have that can do SOMETHING!! Martinez can run far better than the other two can pass and i would argue that his passing is better than their running. So based on experience and pure ability i would say that it goes in this order:

Lee

Martinez

Spano :o

Green

p.s. i was not one of the people that were calling for Green BEFORE the season as i did not feel that his recruiting video was not all that impressive.

Good point. Im really curious to see what Spano can do now that he is healthy. Hes been a the system awhile now. So I gotta think he knows the offense just as much if not better than the other 3. I think he is maybe a Joe Ganz type, if he ever gets on the field.

Spano's knee is royally .. well, you know. Kid even has problems dropping back now for passes. Medical staff really messed this kid up, badly.

About the OP - not a single QB on our roster has done anything this spring or summer to show they are ready to take the job away from Zac, and that is saying something.

Regardless of what Sipple said, and what Sean Callahan thinks, no healthy QB we have right now has impressed while Zac has been out.

People are a bit hard of Lee. I know some even question his toughness, even after the kid played pretty much all of last year with two injuries. When the kid somewhat healed and the restraints were pulled off the offense, he was able to beat up on 'Zona pretty well.

Alot of folks just need to show the kid some faith, but be realistic about what to expect from him as well.

• Fire 1

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER.

if neither Lee nor Green can pass or run then lets at least get the one player we have that can do SOMETHING!! Martinez can run far better than the other two can pass and i would argue that his passing is better than their running. So based on experience and pure ability i would say that it goes in this order:

Lee

Martinez

Spano :o

Green

p.s. i was not one of the people that were calling for Green BEFORE the season as i did not feel that his recruiting video was not all that impressive.

Good point. Im really curious to see what Spano can do now that he is healthy. Hes been a the system awhile now. So I gotta think he knows the offense just as much if not better than the other 3. I think he is maybe a Joe Ganz type, if he ever gets on the field.

Spano's knee is royally .. well, you know. Kid even has problems dropping back now for passes. Medical staff really messed this kid up, badly.

About the OP - not a single QB on our roster has done anything this spring or summer to show they are ready to take the job away from Zac, and that is saying something.

Regardless of what Sipple said, and what Sean Callahan thinks, no healthy QB we have right now has impressed while Zac has been out.

People are a bit hard of Lee. I know some even question his toughness, even after the kid played pretty much all of last year with two injuries. When the kid somewhat healed and the restraints were pulled off the offense, he was able to beat up on 'Zona pretty well.

Alot of folks just need to show the kid some faith, but be realistic about what to expect from him as well.

Completely agree.

Here is the "writers" bio per the website:

I joined the bleacher creatures at the request of a friend and have found it to be very enjoyable. My writing skills still need a lot of work, but this a great place to learn. Its also a great place for passionate sports fans like me to let their opinions be heard! Thanks for the opportunity and I hope you enjoy my articles.

----

:)