Cody Green Never Will Start?

I happen to agree with him even though Green has already started. (So I guess I'd say "Cody Green will never start again.") I could very well be wrong and in fact, hope that I am wrong but until I see some improvement in his passing game I don't think it will happen.

Green made some very poor decisions with the ball, which can be somewhat excused by his inexperience. However, Green showed an almost complete lack of touch with the ball. The old comparison to lawn darts looks particularly appropriate. I don't think I've ever seen someone look that raw and become a serviceable/polished passer.

Yeah, this (bolded part) bothers me most of all about Cody Green. He has an odd, off-balance dart-like throwing motion. He has GREAT arm strength, but seems to shot put the ball, without much touch--almost like Scott Frost. Didn't look much improved during the spring game, that I could tell. He sorely needs to improve his passing accuracy and touch.

I have voiced those same comments since the first time I saw him play. He may turn it on this year, but from what I have seen I doubt he will ever play a major roll in Nebraska football

We see other true freshmen playing and playing in much more difficult offenses than ours. May not be setting the world on fire, but are good enough to keep others off the field. He has not shown that ability.

I wish him luck and hopes he develops the skills needed. He has talent no question, but I see us sticking with Lee this year and if not, going to Martinez.

I have voiced those same comments since the first time I saw him play. He may turn it on this year, but from what I have seen I doubt he will ever play a major roll in Nebraska football

We see other true freshmen playing and playing in much more difficult offenses than ours. May not be setting the world on fire, but are good enough to keep others off the field. He has not shown that ability.

I wish him luck and hopes he develops the skills needed. He has talent no question, but I see us sticking with Lee this year and if not, going to Martinez.

The thing is, none of this should be a surprise.

It's just that when we got Green, everyone was like "Wow! 4 star QB! Tommie Frazier here we come again."

But anyone who paid more attention than the stars and the video game stats he put up in HS knew we were getting a strong athlete who was just very, very raw in his development as a passer. Some true freshmen QBs from from pro-style offenses in HS, or are just plain more polished quarterbacks. That's never been Green. He's always been a project passer, but I think there's little doubt he's worked hard and made strong strides.

Taylor is just a more dynamically athletic, and way less polished passer. So if Lee were to go down, I'd bet that barring huge strides, we don't completely blow up our offense and keep Martinez in the wildcat.

I guess this article does provide one useful thing: reign in the enthusiasm of those who thought Green would start for 3-4 years from day 1. But if Green won't start for these reasons, then Taylor and certainly Jamal Turner will never start, either.

The irony is that Cody came in a week following a 9-7 loss to Iowa State, on the road against Baylor (who the next week went out and beat Missouri) and we won the game. Then was given the nod against OU, yes Lee got the lone touchdown, but he was given the ball at the 1! Then Zac managed to fumble when we had 2nd and goal from the 8 after a long Helu run, the FG "drive" was aided by a personal foul on OU. Lee did virtually NOTHING in that game

Let's look at Cody's drives against OU, the line NEVER gave him a chance to succeed, and when he had a chance to go score from the one, they put Lee in.

Drive 1

Had a 3rd and 6, then Keith Williams false start caused a 3rd and 11, we run and punt.

Drive 2

Personal Foul on Marcel Jones to start the drive with 1st and 24, no chance.

Drive 3

Marcel false start puts us into 3rd and 16

Drive 4

Helu only gets 1 yard on a 3rd and 2, punt.

Drive 5

True 3 and out

Drive 6

Lee comes in with the ball on the 1, and throws a TD

The irony is that Cody came in a week following a 9-7 loss to Iowa State, on the road against Baylor (who the next week went out and beat Missouri) and we won the game. Then was given the nod against OU, yes Lee got the lone touchdown, but he was given the ball at the 1! Then Zac managed to fumble when we had 2nd and goal from the 8 after a long Helu run, the FG "drive" was aided by a personal foul on OU. Lee did virtually NOTHING in that game

Let's look at Cody's drives against OU, the line NEVER gave him a chance to succeed, and when he had a chance to go score from the one, they put Lee in.

Drive 1

Had a 3rd and 6, then Keith Williams false start caused a 3rd and 11, we run and punt.

Drive 2

Personal Foul on Marcel Jones to start the drive with 1st and 24, no chance.

Drive 3

Marcel false start puts us into 3rd and 16

Drive 4

Helu only gets 1 yard on a 3rd and 2, punt.

Drive 5

True 3 and out

Drive 6

Lee comes in with the ball on the 1, and throws a TD

On the other hand we could look at his production in the Holiday Bowl. The game was never in doubt after the first two series. The Arizona defense was reeling. Nebraska was up 17-0.

Green rushes for two yards.

Green fires an off target pass at Niles Paul.

Green fires a nose-down lawn dart at Niles Paul . . . but he misses wide and the ball goes right into the waiting arms of a corner back who manages to drop it.

Punt. (Green is pulled.)

We'll see. Let's just say I have my doubts about Green.

Green was not awful last year. Nothing that he did can't be explained by two things: He was a true freshman and our O Line underperformed. Give him experience and a stable line in front and you'll see a different QB.

Were any of you at the Spring Game? Cody wasn't jaw-dropping, but he was solid. He did nothing to hurt his status as the #2 guy heading into Fall Camp. That pass he threw to Will Henry showed plenty of touch.

Cody may turn into a modern-day version of Jammal Lord, and I'd be fine with that. Put Jammal on a good team and he's a heck of a QB. We could go pretty far with a QB like that.

Do Bleacher Report 'authors' make money?

Bubba Starling (although I believe he will except a baseball contract and never put on a Husker uniform), will most likely prove to be too strong of competition for Green to overcome.

Gawd, I hope not.

So far, in the games I have seen Cody play in, he hasn't developed any accuracy or touch on his passes.

In addition to those necessary physical skills, he has also showed a poor ability to be decisive on the field—to make the quick and proper decisions. Yes, hes a superb runner, but defenses will soon realize he's not much of a passing threat.

It's like guys come in here and never improve. :dunno ESPECIALLY at the QB situation, EVERYONE comes in here raw and they get the offense down, develop their throws, etc. Ganz gets thrown in the fire as a true frosh, and we see another Beau Davis or worse. Even Jr Ganz and Sr Ganz were a world of difference. Taylor made a quantum leap in his second season. 'Wa, wa, I haven't seen any accuracy.' Not being good enough to start as a true freshman is a crazy standard of judgment.

And Green's not a superb runner...he's decent. That's something less likely to change, but oh well, it's not real important.

Another stumbling block for Green's hopes of ever winning the starting job is the wealth of quarterback talent Nebraska has acquired in its past few recruiting classes.

Guys like Taylor Martinez, Brion Carnes, Jamal Turner and Bubba Starling (although I believe he will except a baseball contract and never put on a Husker uniform), will most likely prove to be too strong of competition for Green to overcome.

Guys like Taylor Martinez and the others are going to have JUST the same deer-in-the-headlights look if they step on the field early! What 'wealth of talent'? Turner, Starling, and Carnes - that's going just by the stars. And Tay-Mart - an athlete, a wide receiver, but not really a quarterback.

Mind boggling article. Good stuff as always, from BR.

Green's a well-spoken kid, a good kid, and has been mature beyond his years. I honestly think he could have a bright future here. He is such an important piece in our QB puzzle right now, is for sure.

Anyone doubting T Mart should note, he played for one of the best high school teams in the nation a couple years ago.(2008) Not just a team that went undefeated 15-0, but a team that played some of the best teams in Cali and was nationally ranked.

T Mart was amazing when Centennial played De La Salle and won the 5A Cali State Championship.

He may not be the best passer right now but he will bring a unique dimension to the position. I would say Lee starts, due to his play in the Holiday Bowl, but I think T Mart is number, 1A at this point. He is a red-shirt freshman that will be able to move the chains. If we are 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4, then it only takes a good scramble off a 3rd down play to move the chains.

If our number 1 starts to throw picks early against lesser teams, I believe a change will be made.

We should be able to use a ball control offense and move the chains. We are not going to compete for the scoring title on offense but we will on defense. That means it doesn't take a lot of points to win games.

I didn't see the spring game, only highlights, but this is the direction the position is heading in my opinion.

When did they ever really give him a chance outside of the baylor game? I agree that he was not ready to play, but did running two series of running plays against Oklahoma, then having him run two qb sneaks and throw one bootleg from the one yard line really show us his true future talent? I think not.