K-State Blogger

http://www.bringonthecats.com/2010/7/13/1566343/guide-to-nebraska-for-big-10-fans

After Nebraska announced it would join the Big 10 following the 2010-11 school year, an Internet love-fest ensued between the Cornhuskers and partisans of almost every Big 10 program (see generally, here). It was the kind of spectacle that, were it to occur in public, would have caused those standing around, forced by proximity to observe, to yell "get a room!" at the participants.

That this would occur is not particularly surprising, because Nebraskans are, by and large, some of the nicer people you will run across. They will welcome you in, especially because you are a foreigner (i.e., non-Nebraskan), and, well, they just don't see a lot of non-Nebraskans around these parts. You're new. You're different. You're interesting. They want to talk to you and know your life story.

However, as a college football fan, the initial fascination will not last. You will soon learn certain things about them, so I have decided to issue the following PSA to all fans of Big 10 schools, in order that they have a full year to prepare for the onslaught that awaits them. Without further ado, here's a taste of what you can expect from the Big Red, Big 10ers.

They will travel well, and therefore they are better fans than you. I grew up in Nebraska, and like a lot of people from my generation, I left (.pdf). It's not that I'm not proud of my home state, but the flat-out fact of the matter is that there aren't a whole lot of jobs there and there isn't a whole lot to do there.

So, when you're from Nebraska, a weekend trip to somewhere like Columbia, Mo., or Austin, Texas, sounds like a pretty sweet gig. Columbia is larger than all but two towns in Nebraska, and it's warm in Austin when Nebraska has long since frozen over. There won't be a lot of warm-weather stops in the Big 10, but every town in the Big 12 qualifies as "not Nebraska," and is therefore an attractive trip destination for people from North Platte and Crawford. As such, especially in the first few years, Big 10 fans can expect an invasion of Husker fans wearing foam corn cobs on their heads and, quite possibly, oversized overalls.

A simple Google-image search for "Nebraska Notre Dame" pulls up the infamous red invasion of South Bend back in the early 2000s. Take a look at that image, Big 10 fans. You will see some version of it in your stadiums. Afterwards, you will be reminded that Nebraska fans travel better than your fans, and are therefore better fans.

They have won some national championships, and are therefore better fans than you. If you are a fan of Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, and probably Illinois (pre-Depression national titles probably don't count to Nebraska fans), don't bother starting an argument with your average Nebraska fan. It doesn't matter how badly your team just beat the Huskers, or how many years in a row they've beat them. Nebraska has won five national championships. Your argument is therefore invalid.

They sell a lot of tickets to their spring game, and are therefore better fans than you. Never mind the entirely valid argument that 80,000 people in that state don't have anything better to do on a fine spring Saturday than watch a glorified scrimmage wherein the number-one offense gouges the number-two defense. The fact that they show up shows that they care, not that they're bored.

They are incapable of keeping their expectations in check, even the rational and intelligent ones, and even when they try to do so. For evidence, see here.

Assumptions are perfectly valid on their part, but are hopeless aspirations on your part. Nebraska went 10-4 last year, with losses to Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, Iowa State and Texas. They lost the conference's best player in DL Ndamukong Suh, who was only picked second in the NFL Draft. Their quarterback was terrible last year and had shoulder surgery in the offseason. They didn't have any playmakers on offense last year and were, at best, stagnant. They lose their top three tacklers from last season in Suh, LB Phillip Dillard, and S Larry Asante. Yet, it is perfectly acceptable for them to assume they will fill those holes, no problem, and not only be as good as last year, but a national-title contender.

However, if your team faces such similar personnel losses, the only valid assumption on your part is that you are headed for the tank. Ask Missouri fans.

They are the greatest fans in college football. Just ask them. It's also engraved on their stadium. At every entrance. You know, just so they can be reminded of it a lot. And, so long as their boys (from California and Florida and Texas) beat your boys, they'll give your boys a round of applause as they leave hallowed Memorial Stadium. However, get a little uppity and beat them once or twice, and suddenly they won't like you and won't applaud your team for a game well played and will consider your fans the scum of the earth.

In other words, they're like every other fanbase. Only they think they're different. Have fun!

eh... Pieces ring a little true, that is why it is funny, but he makes a lot of points about why the Huskers are great. They are good fans, travel well, support the team and are classier than most. COuch it how you want, everyone has a perspective, but I would take it as a compliment from a somewhat bitter/cynical hater. As for your view of the results, lots of polls have you ranked highly as well, so it is not just the fans who have some high hopes this year...

• Fire 1

So this guy is a K-State fan who grew up in Nebraska? You know, I have been reading things like this from other Big 12 teams and I am done with them. Honestly, I could care less what happens to them. As far as I am concerned everyone in the Big 12 has worn out their welcome in Lincoln...Nebraskans think you are scum when you put out trash like this. It doesn't surprise me that this guy is a K-State fan, because I haven't seen many that show any class so this guy fits in with them. I hope Texas takes a big dump on the other schools and leaves them high and dry. The move to the Big 10 can't come soon enough :rant .

Maybe I am being harsh, but I am getting a little tired of hearing this kind of crap from the Big 12.

Edit- That wasn't directed at Kansas either Jayhawk. I still like Kansas :lol: . And even Missouri while I am at it.

They lose their top three tacklers from last season in Suh, LB Phillip Dillard, and S Larry Asante. Yet, it is perfectly acceptable for them to assume they will fill those holes, no problem, and not only be as good as last year, but a national-title contender.

Show me a team whose fans don't think like this. :laughpound

This guy is a moron and it's no surprise to me that he's a KSU fan.

Never mind the entirely valid argument that 80,000 people in that state don't have anything better to do on a fine spring Saturday than watch a glorified scrimmage wherein the number-one offense gouges the number-two defense.

-Our spring game is a mix of starters on each team. FAIL.

Their quarterback was terrible last year and had shoulder surgery in the offseason.

-Zac Lee had surgery to repair the flexor tendon of his right arm, which, last time i checked the cadaver in anatomy lab, was not a part of the shoulder. Not to mention that this probably had no effect on his ability to throw the ball accurately. :sarcasm FAIL.

This guy is a moron and it's no surprise to me that he's a KSU fan.

Never mind the entirely valid argument that 80,000 people in that state don't have anything better to do on a fine spring Saturday than watch a glorified scrimmage wherein the number-one offense gouges the number-two defense.

-Our spring game is a mix of starters on each team. FAIL.

Their quarterback was terrible last year and had shoulder surgery in the offseason.

-Zac Lee had surgery to repair the flexor tendon of his right arm, which, last time i checked the cadaver in anatomy lab, was not a part of the shoulder. Not to mention that this probably had no effect on his ability to throw the ball accurately. :sarcasm FAIL.

Not to mention a lot of people come from out of state. I went to the game and I live in Colorado, and believe me there's plenty to do here during a spring Saturday (like snowboard).

Also of note is that we continue to support the team when times are tough, I love the fact that the sell out streak continued in the recent difficult years. Unlike many fans we don't vanish into the shadows when team can't meet our high expectations. I do miss the traffic jams on the way down to Manhattan to see K-state play Nebraska in the 80’s. Now I'm in Oregon and plan to be part of the Husker Invasion in Seattle.

yeah cause manhattan's just poppin that time a year right..... ;)

Can anyone explain to me why we should care what this guy says? Who is he? Why is his opinion valid enough to care about?

I've never understood the fascination with people who crack on us. They're our opponents - what do we expect them to do?

These are exactly my sentiments. All these articles do is upset the fans for the wrong reasons.

Think about it, guys. He is an irrelevant blogger on a fan created blog. He is not a real journalist. And, if he went to j-school, he messed up somewhere in his training. Why should we care what he says?

After all, he is a Kansas State fan. They had a few years of success and they think they have some sense of entitlement, for some idiotic reason.

Something seriously happened to this guy! I'm thinking he was beat as a kid or something. Its almost like he didn't have parents so he lived with his mean Uncle. Who would tease him about his dad is on the way back but would never show up! Or his dog will come home and never did. Or you will get a date, just wait! Its almost like its unbelievable to him that a group of people could feel so strongly about something they believe in. So whats he do to counter balance?? Moves to Kansas for the scenery and a job at McDonalds where he doesn't have to worry about needing to travel so much. Thats the problem, No money to travel, as soon as the manager job opens up he'll be heading to games to get his ass handed to him! Three Years down the road his Management position will take him back to Nebraska and we'll have our old fan back! :snacks:

Can anyone explain to me why we should care what this guy says? Who is he? Why is his opinion valid enough to care about?

I've never understood the fascination with people who crack on us. They're our opponents - what do we expect them to do?

I think it all depends on how you approach it.

I consider it "friendly banter" and would try to get busy thinking of something to say other than "Oh Yeah?..You're a poopyhead" back at them.

Why are so many taking this form of entertainment so seriously?

We're all Americans..oh..I mean..We're all Earthlings! :boxosoap

Some of this guy's points almost made me laugh.

..a little.