Texas vs. Nebraska

The only problem I had with them putting a second back on the clock is that I have a funny feeling that they wouldn't have done that if Nebraska was in the same situation but that might be me being a little naive. I feel bad for you guys about 08 but I don't think you got too robbed since it seemed like OU was the better team.

Seemed like the better team? Remember OU lost head to head to Texas on a neutral field? OU was a great team that year, but Texas proved on the field it was better.

and about the :01, it was done for you guys in the same situation in 94. Things like that have a way of going around, sometimes your team is the one catching the break, next time your team has the breaks going against you. In both the 94 Orange Bowl and the 09 CCG it was the correct call.

I don't get why there was (and I guess *is*) so much whining, crying, tacky looking banners flying over stadiums about the 2008 scenario. Didn't Texas lose to Texas Tech that season? Wasn't there a 3-way tie? Doesn't Texas Tech also have the right to whine/cry/fly a tacky banner as much as Texas? (Rhetorical questions, no need to answer them) Rules are rules. If Texas wanted to win the division, they shouldn't have lost to Texas Tech.

I know rhetorical questions, but I'll answer anyway. Yes we lost to Tech and it was a 3 way tie and I'm not making the argument that Texas should have been in the CCG. ( I wasn't a fan of any of the banners flying but banners were flown by Tech and OU fans as well.) The question was that OU seemed to be a better team, my point was Texas was better than OU in 2008 and proved it on the field.

sure texas was better than OU but Texas Tech was better than Texas and they proved it on the field. And OU was better than Texas Tech and proved it on the field. See its a giant circle. OU deserved to be in th CCG because of points, sure Texas beat OU but not by much, and yea Tech beat Texas but not by much, BUT OU destroyed Tech and had the greatest margain of victory. That is the best way to decide it in a three way tie, who kicked the crap out of the other team the worst and OU for sure was that team

!

EDIT x2: Am I the only one that acknowledges losing that way sucked but it was probably the right call?

I think 99% of Husker fans can probably agree it was the right call, because it was. The reason we continue to whine about it is I'm not so sure the :01 would have been added back onto the clock if it was Nebraska in position to kick a game-winning FG.

EDIT x2: Am I the only one that acknowledges losing that way sucked but it was probably the right call?

I think 99% of Husker fans can probably agree it was the right call, because it was. The reason we continue to whine about it is I'm not so sure the :01 would have been added back onto the clock if it was Nebraska in position to kick a game-winning FG.

It wasn't the right call.

And to whoever posted that Texas got killed by Alabama, they did not. In fact, I think it's fair to say they would have won the game had Colt McCoy been on the field. As much as I hate Texas, I have respect for Colt and even a little for Mack Brown. We just target them because they are the leaders of a team with a bandwagon fan base. Let the countdown to October 16th continue: 80 days. GBR!

I posted that, and I disagree vehemently with your assessment. That game was never in question, even when Texas scored first. Alabama's D was every bit as stout as Nebraska's - they just had an offense that could move the ball. All due respect to Texas' defense, which was pretty good, Texas was not legitimately in that game after the first quarter. It's sad that McCoy got hurt so we'll never know, but everything about that game was domination by Alabama. The final score and yardage don't reflect it, maybe, but again - the outcome of that game was not in doubt.

Are you serious? Texas had the ball down three with 3 minutes left! Gilbert took the offense down a few times for scores. One more drive, or even more likely, a lucky deep ball would have won the game. Instead just as the announcer said "This Texas O-Line that gave up 9 sacks to Suh and Nebraska hasn't given up a sack all game", Bama gets a sack and a fumble recover, game over. In was in great question at the end.

Oh please. It was within the rules and the only way to decide a championship game with the advent of new technology such as official review. It's only not the "right call" because you didn't like it. The persecution complex of some never ceases to amaze me. It's the same people that probably think Bob Costas hates Nebraska.

We hope your current coach would never be so inept as to not rmeind the QB of the importance of the clock,; so it would never be in doubt. Then again, Mack Brown and Les Miles have won national titles.

And to whoever posted that Texas got killed by Alabama, they did not. In fact, I think it's fair to say they would have won the game had Colt McCoy been on the field. As much as I hate Texas, I have respect for Colt and even a little for Mack Brown. We just target them because they are the leaders of a team with a bandwagon fan base. Let the countdown to October 16th continue: 80 days. GBR!

I posted that, and I disagree vehemently with your assessment. That game was never in question, even when Texas scored first. Alabama's D was every bit as stout as Nebraska's - they just had an offense that could move the ball. All due respect to Texas' defense, which was pretty good, Texas was not legitimately in that game after the first quarter. It's sad that McCoy got hurt so we'll never know, but everything about that game was domination by Alabama. The final score and yardage don't reflect it, maybe, but again - the outcome of that game was not in doubt.

Are you serious? Texas had the ball down three with 3 minutes left! Gilbert took the offense down a few times for scores. One more drive, or even more likely, a lucky deep ball would have won the game. Instead just as the announcer said "This Texas O-Line that gave up 9 sacks to Suh and Nebraska hasn't given up a sack all game", Bama gets a sack and a fumble recover, game over. In was in great question at the end.

Bama was burning clock. They ran it up against florida because they wanted to. Hell with Mccoy out and a freshman playing his first collegiate big game I would've packed it in too. Problem is they got sloppy and let Shipley get into a rhythm with the new qb. That game could've been over if bama decided to do what they did when the game got close again. Get serious and beat them up.

It was obvious when texas played us that they might have had the talent (and that ultimately won out) but they sure lacked the heart. I'm convinced we kick that ball out of the endzone and texas struggles to get a first down...game over. We gave them life. Bama did the same. Had they CHOSE to put their foot down in the 3rd quarter that game would've been ugly. Bama turned it off in the second half and then back on when they had to. That's just the way I saw it.

Yes, I'm serious that the game was never in doubt. As Ira said, Alabama was in clock-burning mode. After they went up 17-6 they took it down a notch. Sure, Texas scrabbled to get back in the game, but even pulling within three in the fourth quarter, the game was still firmly in Alabama's grasp.

If some fluke play occurred and Texas took the lead and held on to win, we wouldn't be talking about how Texas "beat" Alabama, we'd be talking about how Alabama collapsed, or gave the game away.

You can't just look at the clock and the score and say Texas was not dominated. You have to have watched the whole game, and paid attention to the ebb and flow of it all, and the whole picture showed that Alabama was very clearly a level above the Horns.

Yes, I'm serious that the game was never in doubt. As Ira said, Alabama was in clock-burning mode. After they went up 17-6 they took it down a notch. Sure, Texas scrabbled to get back in the game, but even pulling within three in the fourth quarter, the game was still firmly in Alabama's grasp.

If some fluke play occurred and Texas took the lead and held on to win, we wouldn't be talking about how Texas "beat" Alabama, we'd be talking about how Alabama collapsed, or gave the game away.

You can't just look at the clock and the score and say Texas was not dominated. You have to have watched the whole game, and paid attention to the ebb and flow of it all, and the whole picture showed that Alabama was very clearly a level above the Horns.

Exactly! Bama took their foot off the pedal...it was plain as day to see. As soon as McCoy didn't come out of the tunnel at half, Bama's game changed.

Oh please. It was within the rules and the only way to decide a championship game with the advent of new technology such as official review. It's only not the "right call" because you didn't like it. The persecution complex of some never ceases to amaze me. It's the same people that probably think Bob Costas hates Nebraska.

All I said was, "It wasn't the right call." Stop going on about persecution complexes.

it was the right call. the reason, for me, that that game was such an injustice is because nu outplayed tu on defense so well that they deserved to win. that was the greatest defensive performance of my life, and somehow the same team produced the most inept offensive performance; it was like watching a bears game. unfortunately our defensive was way better than their offense, but our offense was WAY worse than their defense.

Exactly! Bama took their foot off the pedal...it was plain as day to see. As soon as McCoy didn't come out of the tunnel at half, Bama's game changed.

knapplc nailed it. when tu was driving to take the lead towards the end of the game, still over 80 yards away from the endzone, all bama had to do was send a blitz and they forced a fumble and recovered the ball. just like that, at any second saban could come up with a game ending defensive package and he did. also, mack brown is the worst game coach in the big 12, hands down.

Hey Vinay,

I don't think you are incorrect about anything and I think you write well. I hope you can identify that the bleacherreport is probably the most inaccurate and off-base sports website in existence, but you are merely posting your message there because many people would be exposed to it without creating your own website.

Secondly, while I don't doubt that you are 15 and I think you write better than most adults on internet boards, there is something really wrong with your letter.

You know how there are only certain frequencies that dogs can hear, like a dog whistle? There is something that you clearly have no perception of, and that is when you are being patronizing. I don't think anyone should really care, because at 15, you're naturally inquisitive and trying to figure out the world around you, but the manner in which you do it is incredibly patronizing and rude. The way in which you wrote the letter came across more as an insult to the intelligence and temperament of the fans of the Corn Huskers than as an open quest to gain an understanding of the situation. Try to be more conscientious when you write in the future.

Otherwise, keep up the good work in writing. Understand that you are dealing with sports fans here, and Texans and Nebraskans will obviously feel very differently over the situation and that both you and the Huskers will see things very differently.

I agree. I also agree with a lot he said in the letter. 50/50 balls are ultimately decided by players, not officials. Every single play has the potential to turn out differently if 1/22 people on the field to something different, so I don't buy the "things could have been a lot different if...".

The point is the game is over, we are still upset about that game (keep '94 out of this), we know we lost the game, and we hope to win this year.

I don't care how old the poster is or how well it was written. Some valid points were made, and some were merely opinion and speculation, much like any other post on a message board.

We hope your current coach would never be so inept as to not rmeind the QB of the importance of the clock,; so it would never be in doubt. Then again, Mack Brown and Les Miles have won national titles.

Would you consider either of these coaches great coaches? I'll throw another coaches name that I feel belongs with these two: Howard Schnellenberger. All three of these coaches have won a NC. All three of these coaches did it at schools that were smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed. I consider these three coaches great recruiters, but I don't consider them great coaches. I can actually see Les Miles being fired within the next 2-3 seasons.

Hey Vinay,

I don't think you are incorrect about anything and I think you write well. I hope you can identify that the bleacherreport is probably the most inaccurate and off-base sports website in existence, but you are merely posting your message there because many people would be exposed to it without creating your own website.

Secondly, while I don't doubt that you are 15 and I think you write better than most adults on internet boards, there is something really wrong with your letter.

You know how there are only certain frequencies that dogs can hear, like a dog whistle? There is something that you clearly have no perception of, and that is when you are being patronizing. I don't think anyone should really care, because at 15, you're naturally inquisitive and trying to figure out the world around you, but the manner in which you do it is incredibly patronizing and rude. The way in which you wrote the letter came across more as an insult to the intelligence and temperament of the fans of the Corn Huskers than as an open quest to gain an understanding of the situation. Try to be more conscientious when you write in the future.

Otherwise, keep up the good work in writing. Understand that you are dealing with sports fans here, and Texans and Nebraskans will obviously feel very differently over the situation and that both you and the Huskers will see things very differently.

I agree. I also agree with a lot he said in the letter. 50/50 balls are ultimately decided by players, not officials. Every single play has the potential to turn out differently if 1/22 people on the field to something different, so I don't buy the "things could have been a lot different if...".

The point is the game is over, we are still upset about that game (keep '94 out of this), we know we lost the game, and we hope to win this year.

I don't care how old the poster is or how well it was written. Some valid points were made, and some were merely opinion and speculation, much like any other post on a message board.

i don't want to rag on this stranger, but he brought up his age to impress everyone, and then when people question him and his credibility on it, he says his age does not matter. it is quite irrelevant just like that fact that i was born in 2004 has nothing to do with this post. i know he will say that he was framing what he had to say with his age, because he is young with a young perspective, but then how can he bring up '94? i am still wondering what that kid was expecting from us when he posted that 'article'. the only thing that makes sense is an argument. we are not going to agree, we know and understand his side, and anything else comes off has patronizing. i don't mind respectful debate, but i think he pretentiously intended to 'enlighten' us. here is a pretension, we have heard it all. we know where we stand and we know where you stand. all we have left is one game (maybe two) and that is all that matters between us.

edit: the stranger being the op.