The 1997 National Championship Discussion Thread

Anyone else have a laugh about the regional split in voting outcome? I mean, it's understandable and expected, but its a near perfect map of the big 10 that has Michigan beating Nebraska.

What's also funny is that 96% of Nebraska thinks the Huskers would have won while only 74% of Michigan think the Wolverines would have won.

That'll tell you something right there.

That 26% of people in Michigan are Michigan State fans?

Anyone else have a laugh about the regional split in voting outcome? I mean, it's understandable and expected, but its a near perfect map of the big 10 that has Michigan beating Nebraska.

What's also funny is that 96% of Nebraska thinks the Huskers would have won while only 74% of Michigan think the Wolverines would have won.

What's Michigan State?

:LOLtartar

This is an article written after the Rose Bowl but before NU's Orange Bowl.

----------------------------------------------------------

With one more win, Nebraska deserves national title

© 1998 Copyright Nando.net

1998 Scripps Howard

MIAMI (Jan 2, 1998 - 05:12 EST) -- If Nebraska beats Tennessee in the Orange Bowl by the margin the odds makers say it should, then the Cornhuskers should win the national championship. They wont, but they should.

Too many voters are too reluctant to drop a winning team. And that's unfortunate for Nebraska.

In voting unbeaten Michigan over unbeaten Nebraska for the last third of the season, I based that first-place vote, in part, on Michigan's tougher schedule. The bowl games have changed my perspective.

The Big Ten was overrated. That became more evident with every bowl game: Michigan State lost to Washington 51-23. Iowa lost to Arizona State 17-7. Wisconsin lost to Georgia 33-6. Penn State lost to Florida 21-6. Ohio State lost to Florida State 31-14. Purdue, which Michigan didn't play, was the only other Big Ten winner (33-20 over Oklahoma State in the Alamo Bowl).

Michigan's opponents, five Big Ten teams and Notre Dame, went 0-6 in the bowls.

Nebraska's opponents went 2-2 in the bowls. Washington and Kansas State won; Missouri and Texas A&M lost.

Here's what I jotted down on a notepad after Michigan's 21-16 Rose Bowl victory over Washington State: Records: If Nebraska beats UT in the Orange Bowl, it will be 13-0. Michigan is 12-0.

Opponents: If Nebraska beats UT, its opponents record will be 76-74; Michigan's opponents are 74-67.

Dominance: Nebraska outscored its opponents by 30.7 points per game; Michigan outscored its opponents by 17 points per game.

More dominance: Nebraska outscored its opponents with winning records by 23.6. Michigan outscored its opponents with winning records by 10.8 points.

It's too easy to say Michigan was No. 1 and won its game, so it should stay No. 1. That's not the way the system is supposed to work. Our archaic method of choosing a college football champion is based on style points. Nebraska lost style points because it beat Missouri in overtime and beat Colorado by three after leading by 17 late in the game.

However, against good teams, Nebraska, not Michigan, has been more stylish. The Cornhuskers beat 11-1 Kansas State by 30 points. They beat Washington by 13. They beat Texas A&M by 39 points just three weeks ago.

In Thursday's Cotton Bowl, those same Aggies almost upset a UCLA team that had won nine consecutive games. Don't forget that Michigan only beat Notre Dame by seven points, Iowa by four and Wisconsin by 10. Its most-convincing victory was against Penn State, which for much of the year was the most-overrated team in the country.

Michigan deserves tremendous credit for an unbeaten season. But if Nebraska plays well in beating Tennessee, it deserves the national championship.

By JOHN ADAMS, Scripps Howard News Service

The Huskers would have destroyed um

Brian Greise vs The Blackshirts

Seems like an easy vote to me.

If my memory serves me correctly, Peyton Manning was considered the best pocket passer in the nation that year, & we totally dismantled him to the tune of his worst stats that season. Brian Greise was also a pocket passer with limited mobility, so.....yeah, we would've killed him.

If my memory serves me correctly, Peyton Manning was considered the best pocket passer in the nation that year, & we totally dismantled him to the tune of his worst stats that season. Brian Greise was also a pocket passer with limited mobility, so.....yeah, we would've killed him.

If you read Jason Peters' book Hero of the Underground, the chapter on that game is intense. They were like mad dogs straining at the leash to get to Manning.

I'd love to see that game replayed some time. I've seen it once, live on TV, and never again. YouTube highlights don't always cut it.

If you read Jason Peters' book Hero of the Underground, the chapter on that game is intense. They were like mad dogs straining at the leash to get to Manning.

I'd love to see that game replayed some time. I've seen it once, live on TV, and never again. YouTube highlights don't always cut it.

thats a great book.

I have the game on VHS and have seen it several times. As I recall, the offense struggled in the first half. The opening drive in the second half was legendary. All running plays I believe with a big run by Jeff Makovika. I respect Michigan, but there is no way that they could have beaten 1997 Nebraska on a neutral field. They would not have beaten Tennessee in my opinion. Woodson was their star and would not have made a significant impact against Nebraska's style of offense. I don't think those guys would have let a pro team beat them in TO's last game either.

I have the game on VHS and have seen it several times. As I recall, the offense struggled in the first half. The opening drive in the second half was legendary. All running plays I believe with a big run by Jeff Makovika. I respect Michigan, but there is no way that they could have beaten 1997 Nebraska on a neutral field. They would not have beaten Tennessee in my opinion. Woodson was their star and would not have made a significant impact against Nebraska's style of offense. I don't think those guys would have let a pro team beat them in TO's last game either.

You're correct. NU's pass offense opened up the run game until late in the first half. I don't recall our D-line having a great game, however. I think they only hit Manning a handful of times, with just one sack. The domination we displayed in the 2nd half was outstanding.

I have the game on both VHS and DVD, and have watched it several times.

Nebraska (#2) beat Tennessee (#3) 42-17, Tennessee's had the soon to be sainted Payton Manning.

Michigan (#1) beat Washington State (#8) 21-16, I have always thought WSU with Ryan Leafe should have had one more shot into the end zone (If the refs from last years Big 12 Championship they would have).

Michigan squeeked, Nebraska rolled.

Nuff said!!

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1: