The 1997 National Championship Discussion Thread

Someone tried to tell me that Woodsen would have had a HUGE impact on this one. I told him "Woodsen was a great player and still is. But since Nebraska was likely to pass MAYBE 5 times that whole game, I think his impact would have been very minimal."

Someone tried to tell me that Woodsen would have had a HUGE impact on this one. I told him "Woodsen was a great player and still is. But since Nebraska was likely to pass MAYBE 5 times that whole game, I think his impact would have been very minimal."

I don't recall how good he was stopping the run, but if it was Frost vs. Woodson one-v-one in the open field, I'm betting Frosty would have just steamrolled him. Two or three hits like that and I'm thinking Woodson would have shied away a little bit. Maybe a big bit.

I don't recall how good he was stopping the run, but if it was Frost vs. Woodson one-v-one in the open field, I'm betting Frosty would have just steamrolled him. Two or three hits like that and I'm thinking Woodson would have shied away a little bit. Maybe a big bit.

Does anyone have a video of where Frost made that devastating block against Tennessee?

Does anyone have a video of where Frost made that devastating block against Tennessee?

Yeah, A&M. That was awesome!

UM's pass defense was great that year, but their run defense was a little soft. I remember watching tOSU get pretty nice chunks of yards on the ground against them that year, but they abandoned the run game about halfway through the 2nd qtr.

Woodson would have been cut blocked to death by our wide receivers.

By the way, Jeff Sagarin's final 1997 rankings had Nebraska at #1, followed by 11-1 Florida St. at #2, 10-2 Florida at #3 and 12-0 Michigan at #4.

Nebraska and Michigan played roughly the same SOS, but we throttled Sagarin's #5 Tennessee while Michigan barely beat #8 Wazzoo.

Anyone else have a laugh about the regional split in voting outcome? I mean, it's understandable and expected, but its a near perfect map of the big 10 that has Michigan beating Nebraska.

What's also funny is that 96% of Nebraska thinks the Huskers would have won while only 74% of Michigan think the Wolverines would have won.

That'll tell you something right there.

Anyone else have a laugh about the regional split in voting outcome? I mean, it's understandable and expected, but its a near perfect map of the big 10 that has Michigan beating Nebraska.

What's also funny is that 96% of Nebraska thinks the Huskers would have won while only 74% of Michigan think the Wolverines would have won.

That'll tell you something right there.

What, that we are unapologetic homers?! I jest. 96% of NE got it right. I wouldn't have it any other way. All this talk of the days of yore have me really aching to watch 5 freakishly athletic fatmen run people over. I can't wait for the return of the power run game. Those were the days... :wasted

EDIT: Thanks for posting that video of Frost by the way, I had forgotten all about that. Good stuff.

Why is Flutie's hail mary always better than Stewart's? I understand it was against Miami, but Stewart threw that ball almost 80 yards.

On merit if that one play only ... Stewart's was better. However ...

Flutie threw for about 500 yards that game.

Became the first major college QB to pass for 10,000 yards.

Came into the game with the Heisman all but his.

Against the defending champions

A minute after Highsmith scored for the game's 97834594th lead change

Thanksgiving weekend

5'8

sh#t like that ratchets up the excitement and lore.

Edit: Or what VA Husker Fan said well, well before me! :)