Chicago Vacation

Wife and I are going to ChiTown for a few days, staying downtown, close to Navy Pier. (I was upset, she was elated, that we didn't go this week - Big 10 meetings anyone?)

Question: What to do?

Wife is not a big sports fan (took me 20 years to get her hooked on the Huskers), she is not very active and we will be there on weekdays.

Just got back from Chicago. Definately do the Navy Pier, lots to see there. Do the boat rides and all that good

stuff. We went to a Cubs game but if your wife isn't a sports fan. There is a Six Flags in Gurney(about an hour

north). Lots of good eating and shopping too. Must eat at the Chophouse steakhouse. Can't remember the address

off hand but its near the Miracle Mile.

Take a walk along the Lakeshore. That never gets old.

Take a Chicago architectural boat tour. If you're going with your significant other and are new to Chicago you would both probably enjoy this. Link: http://www.wendellaboats.com/

The Magnificent Mile has plenty of shopping and all sorts of stores both of you can enjoy.

As was previously mentioned go to the Willis Tower (I still can't believe they renamed the Sears tower the Willis Tower!!!)

Check out some of Chicago's Museums. (The Field Museum, The Museum of Science & History, the Art Institute of Chicago if you appreciate fine works of art)

There are also several places around the city that will let you rent bikes or mopeds (perfect to cruise along the Lakeshore with) and you can also do Segway tours of Chicago too which I heard are a complete blast)

Go check out the nightlife. Tons of good clubs and bars in Chicago.

Take your wife on a carriage ride through downtown Chicago. They are everywhere and they are very affordable.

Ride the Ferris Wheel at the Navy Pier.

Go check out the Lincoln Park Zoo.

Find one of Chicago's many good restaurants and EAT!

As was previously mentioned go to the Willis Tower (I still can't believe they renamed the Sears tower the Willis Tower!!!)

Bruce Willis Tower?

Did they never see any of the Diehard movies?

Wait..

Sears..Diehard

If I ever go to Chicago, the first thing I want to check out are the Blues Bars.

If you're driving out, throw in some Willie Dixon ("I Am the Blues") in the CD player on the way out.

One of my all time favourite albums.

I've been to Chicago probably 100 times to visit family. The Sears/Willis tower is OK, but it's pricey. The John Hancock tower's observation deck gives you a pretty good view of downtown and costs less.

The boat tours are a must. They're fun and a neat perspective on seeing the city. Just make sure you're not floating under the Dave Matthews Band tour bus when you go.

The museums are top-notch, especially the Field Museum where you can see Sue, the most complete T-Rex fossil in the world. Don't forget Shedd Aquarium, which is not far from the Navy Pier/Magnificent Mile area.

The food is excellent all over, but you have to get a true Chicago deep-dish pizza. I'm partial to Giordano's, but tastes vary. You could also do a deep-dish pizza tour. I've never done one, but it seems interesting. Also be sure to get a hot dog from Fat Johnnie's. The Mighty Dog and the Mother-In-Law are crowd favorites.

Bruce Willis Tower?

Did they never see any of the Diehard movies?

Wait..

Sears..Diehard

If I ever go to Chicago, the first thing I want to check out are the Blues Bars.

If you're driving out, throw in some Willie Dixon ("I Am the Blues") in the CD player on the way out.

One of my all time favourite albums.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

huKSer,

First let me congratulate you on your fantastic choice to visit the glorious city they call Chicago. IMO, there is not a better place to be in the summer.

A few suggestions:

Willis Tower - I actually work in the Willis (84th floor with a window). There is plenty to see here. The skydeck is a must but I have a better suggestion......The Hancock tower off Michigan Ave probably has better views of the city. You can go to the Signature Room and not pay the $14 bucks to go to the skydeck. The Signature Room is a bar so you can enjoy a nice cocktail and the view or just walk around the bar for free. By the way, the best view in the Signature Room is from the womens bathroom.

Pizza - Most tourist go to Giradano's which is fine. My favorite is Pizano's or Lou Malnatti's. Lou's is kinda like Giradano's but better. Pizano's is Chicago style but the crust is almost like a pie crust....so good!

If you like the beach, make an afternoon out of going to North Ave Beach and Castaway's. Castaway's is a "boat in the beach." Drinks, food, live music (sometimes), etc.

Michigan Ave-Magnificent Mile - a must-do walk for all tourists.

Museums - always a good idea.

Live Music???? If you enjoy live music, check out Kingston Mines. It's a blues bar that has high quality live blues every night. The best stuff comes on after mid-night FYI. I go here all the time.

If you want more ideas, I've got them. Send me a PM and I will help you find whatever.

I hope you have a great time!!

• Fire 1

I heard Chicago sucks ;)

I think I need to make a return trip sometime. My buddy wants to go on a trip in the near future, but wants to go to Miami for some reason. Maybe I'll talk him into going to Chicago and I'll even stomach a Bulls game for him or something.

huKSer,

First let me congratulate you on your fantastic choice to visit the glorious city they call Chicago. IMO, there is not a better place to be in the summer.

A few suggestions:

Willis Tower - I actually work in the Willis (84th floor with a window). There is plenty to see here. The skydeck is a must but I have a better suggestion......The Hancock tower off Michigan Ave probably has better views of the city. You can go to the Signature Room and not pay the $14 bucks to go to the skydeck. The Signature Room is a bar so you can enjoy a nice cocktail and the view or just walk around the bar for free. By the way, the best view in the Signature Room is from the womens bathroom.

Pizza - Most tourist go to Giradano's which is fine. My favorite is Pizano's or Lou Malnatti's. Lou's is kinda like Giradano's but better. Pizano's is Chicago style but the crust is almost like a pie crust....so good!

If you like the beach, make an afternoon out of going to North Ave Beach and Castaway's. Castaway's is a "boat in the beach." Drinks, food, live music (sometimes), etc.

Michigan Ave-Magnificent Mile - a must-do walk for all tourists.

Museums - always a good idea.

Live Music???? If you enjoy live music, check out Kingston Mines. It's a blues bar that has high quality live blues every night. The best stuff comes on after mid-night FYI. I go here all the time.

If you want more ideas, I've got them. Send me a PM and I will help you find whatever.

I hope you have a great time!!

Love, love, love Chicago

Though, unfortunately I haven't been there in over a decade but if anything I'm sure it is better than it was.

Great city for walking if you're up for it - if not the cabs and the El are excellent.

I always enjoyed - Cafe Ba Ba Reeba, Frontera Grill, Bacino's & Leona's (for Pizza) Lou's is great as well, Ann Sather's (Breakfast) on Belmont, plus an endless amout of great bars - Kingston is among the best. The restaurants in general are consistently good to great - including the "dives".

Lincoln Park Zoo is good for a stroll. Wrigleyville is fun on a game day.

Also, the Air & Water Show should be coming up soon but it is on a weekend.

Have fun.

I gotta get back there. Christmas shopping on the Mag Mile is like being in a storybook.

Willis Tower - I actually work in the Willis (84th floor with a window).

Words cannot express how jealous I am of you.

But parking - are you set, or is it a bear? When I worked on Market St. in San Francisco parking was a daily battle. I'm OK parking across the street from my building and walking a flight or two in the garage here in Lincoln.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are back home now. Took the Amtrak from KC to Chicago and back. Stayed a block off of Michigan. Did the short boat tour (had to wait for fog to raise) went around Navy Pier. Shopped some down town. Ate Armenian and of course deep dish pizza from Gino's east (it was close).

General observations:

Cabs were the way to go - car rental and parking would cost $70 - $100 a day. When a passenger gets in a cab and tells the driver to "Step on it" is ridiculous. The more fares the more money and to get more fares is to spend less time on each trip.

Deep dish is delicious

Note to cities with tall buildings: don't host air shows down town. Especially after 9/11 I have never seen more jumpy people when the jets flew over.

Some one mentioned using a charter "Husker Special" train to away games or from Omaha to Lincoln. :thumbs Very enjoyable trip, like a low stress air trip. Conductors often are funny (jokes about getting beers and using emergency evac slides) the ride was mostly smooth. It took 7 hours with 6 stops.

Lots of Michigan State T-shirts, few Wisc and one Michigan

Willis Tower - I actually work in the Willis (84th floor with a window).

Words cannot express how jealous I am of you.

But parking - are you set, or is it a bear? When I worked on Market St. in San Francisco parking was a daily battle. I'm OK parking across the street from my building and walking a flight or two in the garage here in Lincoln.

I actually don't drive to work ever. I live on the North side right by a train so my commute is pretty painless. Takes about 15-20 minutes if I time the trains right. The first photo is from my office looking southeast and the second photo is from the board room looking northeast.

post-5881-128197484369.jpg

post-5881-128197485717.jpg