the Camstache!

OH NO!! Did Cam artificially enhance The Stache?!?!? :o:facepalm:

Mustache and hair aside, Meredith bids to start

LINCOLN — You'd think, after he endured good-natured abuse all summer from his teammates and explained the motivation behind his mustache to the media last week as Nebraska opened football practice, that Cameron Meredith might have grown tired by now of talking about that peculiar growth of hair on his face.

Nope.

“Honestly, I just think I look good with it,” said the sophomore from Santa Ana, Calif., as tire-chip particles from the FieldTurf practice surface stuck to his upper lip after a recent workout. “It's like my long hair. I'm trying to grow that out, too. It's looking good.”

OK, so if you really want to talk about it, how about the rumor that you borrowed mascara from an unsuspecting athletic department official to darken the mustache before taking team photos recently?

“No comment on that,” he said.

Soon, perhaps, the colorful defensive end will have something more notable to discuss, like his role as a first-year starter among another promising group of Blackshirts.

Facial hair aside, Meredith, at 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds, looks good as a prospect to step in opposite senior Pierre Allen on the defensive line. A former top recruit out of southern California powerhouse Mater Dei High School, he ranked as the top reserve last year behind Allen and Barry Tuner.

Meredith made 21 tackles, including five for losses, as a redshirt freshman. He said he's ready to take the next step this fall.

“I'm ready to show what I can do out there and get the season started,” he said. “I'm really excited.”

He's worked this summer on once-troublesome fundamentals like the six-technique, necessary for situations in which Meredith lines up across from a tight end. Meredith said he made big strides in spring practice but slipped a bit mentally before the key summer months arrived.

“You get out of that mojo, and it gets confusing,” he said. “Summer sneaks up on you, and it can't catch you off guard.”

After a three-week home trip in May, he shaved the initial mustache so his mother wouldn't see it. Meredith returned to Lincoln with a re-invigorated approach.

He said he thrived in summer conditioning, dropping body fat and preparing mentally for what's to come this season.

Others noticed.

“I see the mental things with him,” Allen said. “I see that he gets it. He actually gets it now.”

Defensive coordinator Carl Pelini last weekend got his first look since April at Meredith in a practice setting.

“He's having a great camp so far,” Pelini said. “He gives us a lot of physicality and a lot of attitude opposite Pierre. He's always been tough and physical, but he just brings us an attitude on that side. Pierre has that, and Cameron, I think, gets it from Pierre.”

Allen, who has started 25 games at NU, can serve as a nice mentor for Meredith and youngsters Josh Williams and Jason Ankrah. Together, the foursome gives the Huskers an impressive looking group of defensive ends.

Only Allen, though, has made a major mark on the field. Meredith appears poised to change that.

“Nothing's set in stone yet,” he said. “Josh is catching up in a good way. It's a really good competition. I practice the same as I did last year every day. Every day presents a new opportunity to get better, so when I come out to practice, I'm thinking I've got to work on this or get better at this.”

He's also thinking about the mustache. Meredith scoffs at the Nebraska linebackers, many of whom have also grown mustaches. Some suggested that it was their idea.

“They copied me,” said Meredith, who drew inspiration from former NU linebacker Mike Knox. “I set the trend.”

And even his mom is on board.

“She knows,” Meredith said. “She thinks it's funny. She's not mad. But she is a little worried about what people will think when it shows up on TV.”

• 4 weeks later...