Chase Rome

Vuren

There are a ton of 18 year old kids that walk into fall camp every year and are better than a lot of the guys in front of them. I don't think anyone would say we are in trouble if Green came in and split time with the ones, same for T. Moore. I personally think this guy's a beast and wanted him almost as bad as anyone else in last years class.

:yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah

There are a ton of 18 year old kids that walk into fall camp every year and are better than a lot of the guys in front of them. I don't think anyone would say we are in trouble if Green came in and split time with the ones, same for T. Moore. I personally think this guy's a beast and wanted him almost as bad as anyone else in last years class.

:yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah

Totally agree with this statement. I am very high on Rome, and if he cracks the two-deep, great! He is a monster in the weight room and his effort is awesome across the board. It is very rare to have a true frosh playing at DT but that doesn't mean we should never do it. Nebraska has potential out the wazzou this year and you can't hold a player back with a NC on the line. If he puts us in place to win games, play him.

Um what if he's better than Moore and Randle?

If that were true we would be in trouble because an 18 year old kid walks onto our field and is instantly the 2-3 best DT we have. He is probably fifth at the moment. But he has shown some promise. Keep his shirt.

I'm in your camp. While there are positions a true freshman can come in and play right away, I don't see either the OL or the DL as being one of them. First of all, most 18 year old kids playing on the line don't have the size or the strength yet to compete on a D1 level. Considering that we really don't have a senior loaded DL this year, I think it would be prudent to keep his shirt unless he's just simply hell bent on playing this year.

Who were our last DT's that started as a Freshman? Was it Jeremy Slechta?

This is really surprising for a lot of reasons. Bo has said before that end is the last place you would want to play a freshman, I doubt DT is that far behind. Also, Rome was playing end less than a year ago in high school.

Although offer-wise, he probably one of the top 5 recruits we've got in the Bo era. Maybe he is the real deal. I thought he looked good in the Spring game, but that's another thread...

Of course Grant Wistrom is the most notable true frosh Dlineman.

During his freshman campaign, Wistrom made his presence known, earning Big 12 Newcomer-of-the-Year honors in helping the Huskers to their first national title since 1971. He played in all 13 games, recording 36 stops and 4.5 sacks, as one of only two true Husker freshmen to see time.

If that were true we would be in trouble because an 18 year old kid walks onto our field and is instantly the 2-3 best DT we have. He is probably fifth at the moment. But he has shown some promise. Keep his shirt.

There was a kid named tommie frazier who played for us a few years back. When he stepped on campus he was our best qb right then and there!

There was a kid named tommie frazier who played for us a few years back. When he stepped on campus he was our best qb right then and there!

don't know how true that is. the historians on this board will be able to clarify, but i think Brook Berringer gave him a run for his money and there was probably a lot of debate about who should be starting.

Sure Ahman Green played when we had LP, but there were not 3 others including LP in front of AG. Keep his shirt for the time being. If we need him, play him. If not I would hate to see him waste a year to play a couple snaps against WKU and Idaho.

Sure Ahman Green played when we had LP, but there were not 3 others including LP in front of AG. Keep his shirt for the time being. If we need him, play him. If not I would hate to see him waste a year to play a couple snaps against WKU and Idaho.

Actually LP, Clinton Childs, and Damon Benning were all ahead of Green. Green did get some PT early in the season during blowouts, which was fortunate because LP got suspended and then first Childs and then Benning were injured.

That being said, Chase Rome is in a different position. I'd like to see him redshirt unless he's ubergood or injuries happen.

Actually LP, Clinton Childs, and Damon Benning were all ahead of Green. Green did get some PT early in the season during blowouts, which was fortunate because LP got suspended and then first Childs and then Benning were injured.

That being said, Chase Rome is in a different position. I'd like to see him redshirt unless he's ubergood or injuries happen.

You got me there on the Ahman Green situation. lol

But I think you can see what I am saying.

But I think you can see what I am saying.

I do. And the Ahman Green/LP comparison was weak on my part. Both are positions where you need depth, but it's not exactly apples to apples. I get where you're coming from, though, and totally agree that I don't want to burn Rome's shirt for a few snaps against patsies. We could have another year of Amukamara if HWSNBN hadn't put him in for a few plays here and there. We burned a lot of shirts for basically no reason under the previous administration.

Roger Huerta is a pro MMA fighter and took down a longhorn that outweighed him by 120 lbs. I think Roger was 155 to 165 lbs and had no problem with a 260 lbs ex longhorn. Roger H. is a pro but I think the whole MMA fighter gives Chase Rome and edge if he was trained by his dad too. I think Chase will be tough enough to handle D1 football as a freshman.

Think we can sneak a jersey on this guy for the Oct 16th game? He seems to know how to take care of a linebacker, maybe we can put him at fullback?

"Fight" on break.com (Wouldn't embed)

(For the record, the story is that the ex-longhorn sucker punched A WOMAN, Roger saw it, and them proceeded to KO the b@stard.)

Roger Huerta is a pro MMA fighter and took down a longhorn that outweighed him by 120 lbs. I think Roger was 155 to 165 lbs and had no problem with a 260 lbs ex longhorn. Roger H. is a pro but I think the whole MMA fighter gives Chase Rome and edge if he was trained by his dad too. I think Chase will be tough enough to handle D1 football as a freshman.

Think we can sneak a jersey on this guy for the Oct 16th game? He seems to know how to take care of a linebacker, maybe we can put him at fullback?

"Fight" on break.com (Wouldn't embed)

(For the record, the story is that the ex-longhorn sucker punched A WOMAN, Roger saw it, and them proceeded to KO the b@stard.)

That video was pretty sweet, aside from the whole women getting struck thing. Huerta owned that dude. Just goes to show you: Texas guys-- once a douchebag, always a douchebag.

I'm in the camp that thinks Chase should probably redshirt this year. Usually lineman need a year to get physically strong enough and acclimated to the new level of the game. Evidently, that is not a problem for Chase. However, I think what Pelini said about him "repping with the 1's and 2's" is just pre-season chatter when there's nothing else to talk about, and we give the comment way more weight than it deserves. The fact that Carl says T Mo and Thad are still definitely ahead of Chase on the depth chart is telling, IMO. On NCAA 11, I usually only carry 3 DT's on my roster and RS whoever else. I'm not ripping Chase by any means, I love the kid and his potential is thru the roof. I just think the other guys have the experience factor and can get it done this year. If one of them gets hurt, then call me and we mite have a case for burning the shirt.

Do we really want to have another "Boy I wish Chase would've taken a RS right away" convo in a few years, like we do with Niles Paul now?

Imagine last season without Suh! He was good enough to play as a true freshman but an injury eventually forced him to redshirt, allowing him an extra year to develop. I would rather have Suh as a 5th year senior than have him be a minor contributor as a true freshman.

Chase will NOT start and he will NOT be first off the bench. Redshirt him!!!! It will help him and the program in the long run!