QB Race Still Wide Open

knapplc

If Lee is our QB I would like to just shelve the Option. Green and/or Martinez (heck, even Washington) would be eminently preferable as an Option QB over Lee. Yeah, he was better in the bowl game, but man, he's still not looking like a great "option" with the Option.

Stick to your strengths. If there's one thing we know about Zac Lee, it's that he's not a great runner. Play to his strengths if he's the guy, and if we don't get too creative or cute, we'll be fine.

I'm beginning to warm up to Zac as our QB. Watching the Holiday bowl again, he actually is quite good at making the right decisions. He might not be the best QB in the world, but the guy knows when to simply toss the bowl away, avoid a loss, and get us something. Aside from forcing some throws (which is something that everyone does sometimes), Zac is generally a safe QB who thinks with his head. He is not afraid though, to take a shot down field if the position calls for it, and I'm anxious to see how he can chuck the rock with a healthy arm. And you guys are so right about how he handled last year. He never complained about being hurt throughout the season, he kept it under wraps for the good of the team. He simply went out there each week and tried his best to do his job, hurt or not. That's good leadership, and the team knows it, and respects the hell out of him for it.

The puzzling thing to me about our playcalling is WHY we called the option so much last year? I understand that zone read to the running back is a staple of Wats' offensive system, but Zac hardly ever kept the ball on that play. Cody did some when he got in there, but Zac's acceleration is so terrible that him keeping it just wasn't an option. So why, with that terrible acceleration, did Wats try to test the edges of the defense by calling so many speed option plays? By that I mean, true option plays where both the running back and QB go the same direction? Nobody respected Zac as a threat to keep it and do damage, so why waste plays like that? That was truly a head scratcher to me all year. Stick to Zac's strengths Wats... don't try to force a round peg into a square hole.

If Lee is our QB I would like to just shelve the Option. Green and/or Martinez (heck, even Washington) would be eminently preferable as an Option QB over Lee. Yeah, he was better in the bowl game, but man, he's still not looking like a great "option" with the Option.

Stick to your strengths. If there's one thing we know about Zac Lee, it's that he's not a great runner. Play to his strengths if he's the guy, and if we don't get too creative or cute, we'll be fine.

I agree 100%. Lee is not an option QB. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a few times he flat out fumbled, and only one time (in the Holiday Bowl) where he actually made good yardage. Everytime he ran the ball it seemed like he had his head down just looking for a place to land softly.

I agree he is not a option QB, but we are comparing him to some of the best that have ever played in past Huskers. I thought he was much better in the Holiday bowl and after watching it the other day was even more impressed(not leaps and bounds) by his efforts on the running side.

For the record, I'm a big Zac Lee supporter. I felt the same way about Ganzy and the Option. We don't have the personnel to run it correctly, so let's stick to the zone read and the rest of the Shawn Watson Multiplicity Offense of Wonder and Delight.

This.

For the record, I'm a big Zac Lee supporter. I felt the same way about Ganzy and the Option. We don't have the personnel to run it correctly, so let's stick to the zone read and the rest of the Shawn Watson Multiplicity Offense of Wonder and Delight.

That's the fruitiest name for an offense I've ever heard

I like it. :thumbs

That's the fruitiest name for an offense I've ever heard

3 qb,s,,,and even....that is hard to believe ....i believe they know who is going to start,,,just will not say it.....got to be one of the 3 that is a bit subpar

I like it. :thumbs

It looked to me like we lost 2 yards on every option left NU ran. So unless we want to lose 2 yards on a play they need to shelve the option with Lee in the game. He ran effectively in the holiday bowl, just the option is not suited for him in my opinion. If he can improve his play over last years bowl, I will support Lee all year. Throwing picks right after the D gets a pick or a fumble is where I lost it last year.

I personally don't think we can win a national title with anyone but Zac this year. Now, does that mean I think with Zac we are automatic title favorites? No. But I think Zac's combination of experience and potential playmaking ability this year gives us our best chance to win, whether he is a field general, or plays more of a "Trent Dilfer circa 2000" role.

I really hope he separates himself this week. We really don't need the national distraction of a presumed 3-way QB battle.