Tom Shatel's column

I guarantee that Shatel, Sherman, Sipple, Christopherson, or Barfnecht did not call Fisher's family. These guys feed their own families by putting Husker football content in their papers. They certainly aren't selling papers or attracting on-line advertisers with Blue Jay basketball or Lincoln Stars coverage.\

Of course they didn't. But I guarantee that there were interns told to "look into this."

Ok, I see what you're saying. But, the words "credible source" still come to mind. Those media folks who contacted the parents did so because parents are typically considered credible sources, & whether they like it or not, they are definitely linked to any news related to their son. As a rule of thumb, a journalist needs at least 2 credible sources in every article he/she produces (of course nowadays it seems like having only 1 source will do) and "internet chatter" certainly does not count as a credible source. The media wasn't getting anything from Nebraska coaches & they probably didn't know if the parents had been contacted by the coaching staff. How would they know?

Now, I admit if I were Fisher's parents, it would annoy & upset me to get a call from media about my son's injury before I'd even gotten word from my son or the coaching staff. But, that doesn't mean the media is crossing the line by calling me about it. Crossing the line would be if media were harassing me for information in a way that is disrespectful or harmful to my reputation or well-being. This is neither.

Is this still the rule of thumb or is this a quaint throwback to the days of real journalism? I don't see two credible sources on a LOT of articles these days, and depending on the article, the article host, the journalist and/or the topic, often there are zero sources cited.

If we're talking about the quaint old days of journalism, the journalist should have the courtesy not to bother the parents while their child is on the operating table, but I don't think we're there anymore. I don't think we're talking about the good ol' days.

Exactly.

I'm sorry to everyone who think Shatel's rant was over the top, but Shatel has a point. Journalism evolves constantly. These days it evolves faster than it ever has. Most journalists are paid by their bosses to do almost anything to get stories and to get confirmations on stories. Being persistent without going too far is extremely important to journalistic success.

Was it too far to contact Fisher's family? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that Husker fans demand coverage of their team, and they get upset if they don't get it.

All in all, this is their job, and they get paid to get stories, just like you get paid to do whatever it is that you do.

Is this still the rule of thumb or is this a quaint throwback to the days of real journalism? I don't see two credible sources on a LOT of articles these days, and depending on the article, the article host, the journalist and/or the topic, often there are zero sources cited.

If we're talking about the quaint old days of journalism, the journalist should have the courtesy not to bother the parents while their child is on the operating table, but I don't think we're there anymore. I don't think we're talking about the good ol' days.

Good call on your 1st point. I couldn't agree more. I'm not in the news/editorial industry anymore, but the "two sources" rule was what I was taught to use when I attended that program at UNL & it was the best practice for everyone who wrote for the Daily Nebraskan. Unfortunately it seems more & more like newspapers are following the comfortable trend being set by news via the Internet, which more often than not has much less credence to reliable sources.

To your 2nd point, I'd say that's an example of harming a person's emotional well-being. And that does cross the line. I'm just guessing though that Fisher wasn't at that point yet (on the op table) since we're talking about the day the news came out.

Bo can get by with this currently. Fans and the media are convinced the Huskers are back on the bigtime national stage. Bo has put the excitement back. So, perhaps even if he overreacted to the circumstances, it will not hurt him.

I suspect a part of the tirade was some frustration over the injuries to the players and the possible impact on the team. That's totally understandable. I threw a fit and I'm just a fan.

However, if bo's team fails to live up to the hype, the same behavior that is seen as "taking charge" or "manly"' will be looked on as petulance and bullying. It's always risky to piss off ,the folks that by ink by the barrel.

Woody Hays would not have lasted as long in this day and age.

Bo can get by with this currently. Fans and the media are convinced the Huskers are back on the bigtime national stage. Bo has put the excitement back. So, perhaps even if he overreacted to the circumstances, it will not hurt him.

I suspect a part of the tirade was some frustration over the injuries to the players and the possible impact on the team. That's totally understandable. I threw a fit and I'm just a fan.

However, if bo's team fails to live up to the hype, the same behavior that is seen as "taking charge" or "manly"' will be looked on as petulance and bullying. It's always risky to piss off ,the folks that by ink by the barrel.

Woody Hays would not have lasted as long in this day and age.

Though i agree i think bo should of been on the phone immediately with the parents as soon as they carted them off the field. Any type of injury as a parent you want to be told about. Bo or one of his staff members should of been on the phone 5 minutes after he was loaded in the ambulance. A simple conversation,

mr and mrs blue, hi coach pelini listen i want to tell you we had a little incident here at practice today. Your son hirt his leg, we dont know the extent of it yet but we had trainers look at it and now we sending him to the local hospital for observation. Its somewhat serious we dont think its a simple bruise or strain. Yes thats understandable you want to fly in would you like a representative of the university to meet you at the airport. Very good keep my or my staff members cell number so we can keep in contact until you get here. Yes will do, thank you. Ill speak to you soon.

It could be as simple as that. Oh and 1 more thing, the university of nebraska has no say how quickly one gets medical treatment to that extent. Either Fisher himself with his own insurance allowed the surgery or his parents were informed and there insurance was used to preform the isurance. I doubt they would cut into someone with out the parents informed. But who knows.

Though i agree i think bo should of been on the phone immediately with the parents as soon as they carted them off the field. Any type of injury as a parent you want to be told about. Bo or one of his staff members should of been on the phone 5 minutes after he was loaded in the ambulance. A simple conversation,

mr and mrs blue, hi coach pelini listen i want to tell you we had a little incident here at practice today. Your son hirt his leg, we dont know the extent of it yet but we had trainers look at it and now we sending him to the local hospital for observation. Its somewhat serious we dont think its a simple bruise or strain. Yes thats understandable you want to fly in would you like a representative of the university to meet you at the airport. Very good keep my or my staff members cell number so we can keep in contact until you get here. Yes will do, thank you. Ill speak to you soon.

It could be as simple as that. Oh and 1 more thing, the university of nebraska has no say how quickly one gets medical treatment to that extent. Either Fisher himself with his own insurance allowed the surgery or his parents were informed and there insurance was used to preform the isurance. I doubt they would cut into someone with out the parents informed. But who knows.

I've been thinking this all along. How hard could it be? Hopefully this is a best practice Bo & the staff will utilize moving forward.

The basic argument from the media is that the fans will not tolerate delays in reporting the news. I call BS. Is there really anybody who would have minded waiting until Wed. to find out about the injuries on Tue.?

And it's not like there's really that much news coming out of practices anyways. Maybe the sports journalists should spend more than 30 minutes writing an article and put some real thought and effort into it. That goes for the editors and their bosses as well.

• Fire 1

I agree with much of what has been said here but as a fan I am willing to wait a bit to get news ..... of course if I wanted to wait forever I would not be a member of the best Husker Board around.

I think that for a coach medical issues are extra sensitive. We have be become hyper-critical in today's world when it comes to medical issues and I think that adds an extra degree of edge to the early unapproved reporting of an injury. We have all had to stand at the line 10 feet away from the pharmacy so we dont accidently find out what kind of drugs Old Man Earl is taking for his blood pressure.

At work when I hear an employee out sick I feel like it is a brazen act of insensitivity to ask how they are doing.

Some of you do need to put down the koolaide and be realists about this. Bo is stating that parents were being contacted by the media as Fisher was on the operating table or before the staff had time to notify them. I would hope that with today's quick access that the family was notified before Sean left the stadium if it was serious and he was being transported to the hospital (emergency contact numbers??). As far as being on the operating table already? Seems pretty hasty that barely several hours had past and surgery was already required. And how about Tom stating several serious injuries had happened at practice yet that evening on radio? Love Bo's passion and how he has turned this program around but he needs some of his own medicine. This just doesn't add up quite right to me.

In my view the world has changed and it isn't changing back. Either you learn to deal with the instantaneous flow of information or you seal the place like the Hawkeyes do over at Fort Kinnick. Just remember there is a price to pay for letting people in, and there is a price to pay for keeping them out. Not an easy decision.

Now-a-days its one orangeblood.com blog. And remember the fake report on OU QB being ineligible posted on the internet? Texas radio stations went with it.